2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 768 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
"Sports 1" is 11.x-13.x.
"Sports 2" is 9.x-11.x.
(x=number of a month competition takes place, so for Moscow Novice Championships in January, "Sports 1" category includes skaters 11y1m-13y1m old, for Russian Novice Championships in March: 11.3m-13y3m old).

For instance:
Silver medalist of 2016 Russian Novice Championships, Anna Tarusina was 13y1m old.
Gold medalist, Anna Shcherbakova was 11y11m old.

Okay? Those just are in the ballpark of where you'd expect the skater to be. Similarly, I don't say that juniors would be 13-19, I'd say they're 13-14 since from 15 you'd be in seniors.

Those ranges also aren't quite correct, Elena Kostyleva for example was participating in sports 2 at the age of 8 last season in the qualifiers, and in fact started in the category at the age of 7.

brakes

On the Ice
Those ranges also aren't quite correct, Elena Kostyleva for example was participating in sports 2 at the age of 8 last season in the qualifiers, and in fact started in the category at the age of 7.
So "Sports 2" does not have lower age limit, only passed tests requirement. I corrected my post.

Giltedge

Final Flight
A stroll along Memory Lane...

fFu3nk-9hd4.jpg

MzJ0giVDd5Q.jpg

QO8p5eA_mQc.jpg

DougDorsey

On the Ice
With the further setback of being sick in Covid I would be surprised if we see the 3A back this season. I think getting her pree 3A content back and stable will be enough to get her on the Worlds team this year (with Anna and Sasha, sorry Liza) provided she performes her programs better than she did at her two competitions so far this season.

Sorry Liza? No way Aliona deserves a spot ahead of Liza on the Worlds team based on what we've seen so far this season, that is assuming Worlds even happens.

If at these upcoming domestic events, Aliona surprises everyone with a restored 3A, and with her combos and components restored to last season's quality, then perhaps the picture changes, but I'm not holding my breath.

RusFed is gearing up for the Olympics, and I'm sure they're intent on sweeping the podium. That's going to mean prioritizing their girls with ultra-c elements, and at this point in time, that means Anya, Kami, Sasha, and/or Liza.

Even if a couple of those four fumble, opening up the door for another skater to slip in, I'd personally go with Dasha over Aliona at this point in time, based on how the former has continued to develop and how the latter has taken a step back.

Again, we all know what Aliona was capable of as of just a year ago, and if she can recapture that, then this picture might change. But so far it hasn't happened. And while the pandemic, illness, and coaching changes are legitimate excuses, let's not forget that all these girls were dealing with the pandemic; Anya and Liza also dealt with illness; and Sasha also dealt with a coaching change. So I don't think these excuses should buy her any special treatment.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Sorry Liza? No way Aliona deserves a spot ahead of Liza on the Worlds team based on what we've seen so far this season, that is assuming Worlds even happens.

If at these upcoming domestic events, Aliona surprises everyone with a restored 3A, and with her combos and components restored to last season's quality, then perhaps the picture changes, but I'm not holding my breath.

RusFed is gearing up for the Olympics, and I'm sure they're intent on sweeping the podium. That's going to mean prioritizing their girls with ultra-c elements, and at this point in time, that means Anya, Kami, Sasha, and/or Liza.

Even if a couple of those four fumble, opening up the door for another skater to slip in, I'd personally go with Dasha over Aliona at this point in time, based on how the former has continued to develop and how the latter has taken a step back.

Again, we all know what Aliona was capable of as of just a year ago, and if she can recapture that, then this picture might change. But so far it hasn't happened. And while the pandemic, illness, and coaching changes are legitimate excuses, let's not forget that all these girls were dealing with the pandemic; Anya and Liza also dealt with illness; and Sasha also dealt with a coaching change. So I don't think these excuses should buy her any special treatment.
Well I agree with you that Liza has shown more quality than Aliona this season. My point was that I dont think Aliona nedds the 3A to beat Liza. Liza allways loses points on spinns and StSq which Aliona pree Quarantine never did. Aliona also gets higher GOE on basically all elements compared to Liza and higher PCS. A non 3A Aliona on form should score similairly to Dasha at RusNats and that is probably enough to edge out Liza for the worlds team.

If we have a worlds RusFed will probably go with those they feel will have the highest scoring potential and Anna and Sasha is set I would imagine but the last spot I imagine will be a fight between Liza and Aliona. I think from what weve seen so far Liza is 3rd and Aliona 1st alternate but personaly I think no 3A Aliona (with the rest figured out to pree quarantine standard) have higher scoring potential than 3 3A Liza (unless she improves her jump layout and fixes her spinns).

Last edited:

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Well I agree with you that Liza has shown more quality than Aliona this season. My point was that I dont think Aliona nedds the 3A to beat Liza. Liza allways loses points on spinns and StSq which Aliona pree Quarantine never did. Aliona also gets higher GOE on basically all elements compared to Liza and higher PCS. A non 3A Aliona on form should score similairly to Dasha at RusNats and that is probably enough to edge out Liza for the worlds team.

If we have a worlds RusFed will probably go with those they feel will have the highest scoring potential and Anna and Sasha is set I would imagine but the last spot I imagine will be a fight between Liza and Aliona. I think from what weve seen so far Liza is 3rd and Aliona 1st alternate but personaly I think no 3A Aliona (with the rest figured out to pree quarantine standard) have higher scoring potential than 3 3A Liza (unless she improves her jump layout and fixes her spinns).

I personally wouldn't wager on an Aliona with no 3As beating a Liza with three clean 3As, keeping in mind that Aliona's jumps and components haven't been as crisp as they were the last couple seasons, and keeping in mind that Liza has two of the best programs she's ever had, IMO.

Plus, there's the big picture, which is that Liza can land quads, and if she can get them consistent in competitions, that's a game-changer for Beijing next year. So if you're RusFed, are you really going to put your weight behind a girl with no ultra-c elements at the moment over her? I think that would be foolish.

Again, if Aliona surprises everyone with a restored 3A between now and the end of the season, I can certainly see this picture changing. But I'm not holding my breath.

In fact, if anything changes the picture between now and next season's RusNats, I think it will be Dasha adding a 3A. Now THAT will make things interesting, and will only steepen the uphill battle that Aliona faces.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I hope that this initiative of "highly" paid competitions will start a revolution for more competitions that are commercial in a way, figure skaters deserve to have more competitions and to earn well. Also, I can't wait. :biggrin:

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
I personally wouldn't wager on an Aliona with no 3As beating a Liza with three clean 3As, keeping in mind that Aliona's jumps and components haven't been as crisp as they were the last couple seasons, and keeping in mind that Liza has two of the best programs she's ever had, IMO.

Plus, there's the big picture, which is that Liza can land quads, and if she can get them consistent in competitions, that's a game-changer for Beijing next year. So if you're RusFed, are you really going to put your weight behind a girl with no ultra-c elements at the moment over her? I think that would be foolish.

Again, if Aliona surprises everyone with a restored 3A between now and the end of the season, I can certainly see this picture changing. But I'm not holding my breath.

In fact, if anything changes the picture between now and next season's RusNats, I think it will be Dasha adding a 3A. Now THAT will make things interesting, and will only steepen the uphill battle that Aliona faces.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. This upcoming team competition and probably also the cup final will probably determine who gets the worlds spots.

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
Alyona doesn't need the 3A to beat Liza, that's correct. But she still needs a stsq that is not level 2, she needs clean spins, she needs to keep her balance in twizzles (is that a right word?), aaand she needs to sell the program.

So far this season is Liza who did all those things on Rostelecom, and it gave her gold.

I know that it is all in there for Alyona, she just has to bring it on.

I do love them both, may the best win!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I definitely would have to disagree with the idea that Alena's only issue is her lack of 3A this season. She's not been very good at all for her standards, even outside of it. From steps to spins to interpretation to transitions to steadiness of the jumps... just about every category of hers just isn't there. It's not just 3A. If she were to be put ahead of Tuktamysheva at this point, it'd be due to her last season's achievements only, not her current form... And I don't think that's the way to go, especially in such a competitive environment. Tuktamysheva is actually more proven in her career anyway, with even a world championship title.

If the choice is between them, anyway. However, didn't Nugumanova place ahead of Tuktamysheva? Clearly the correct thing to do is to send Nugumanova to worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.