2021-22 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Has anyone heard about Hidetsugu Kamata? He's a retired singles skater. It looks like he has given ice dancing a go (maybe for shows?) and skated with a partner at an event this weekend.

That was an entry to 'Prince Misaka Ice Dance Competition'. This competition is usually in June, but this year it was delayed until 9/11 due to the C~.

Kamata seems to be starting ice dancing recently. In his twitter the formal announcement was made earlier in Apr. And his partner is Akane Matsubara (Sr. level skater from Saitama FS club).

Not sure what level the pair is in at the moment, but it seems he's enjoying the ice dancing so far.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Why not Kana/Daisuke? They'll have points in the world standings by then, no? And they have a great SD this season. I guess it's because they're planning to send Koko to OGs...

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Why not Kana/Daisuke? They'll have points in the world standings by then, no? And they have a great SD this season. I guess it's because they're planning to send Koko to OGs...

Kana and Dai got a spot at NHK from the get go. The JSF probabyl wants to have them face off at at least one more competition aside from Nationals to decide which of the two teams to send to the Olympic Games since they've stated the spot won't automatically go to the team that wins JNats.

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
oops, I totally forgot about that. :palmf: Thanks for reminding me.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Kana and Dai got a spot at NHK from the get go. The JSF probabyl wants to have them face off at at least one more competition aside from Nationals to decide which of the two teams to send to the Olympic Games since they've stated the spot won't automatically go to the team that wins JNats.
For reference:

I think if JSF had any strategy for the team event they would also consider the highest scoring rhythm dance. But, I think they are more likely to go with the National Champion.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Riku and Ryuichi won by a landslide, really making a statement here. I can't believe how much they raised their game in the short time they've been skating together. If they continue on this trajectory they'll be serious medal contenders at the highest level soon. They are amazing! :love2:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Riku & Ryuichi's FS

Pairs victory ceremony

It's amazing how much they've improved in just 2 years!

2019 NHK 179.94
2020 4CC 167.50
2021 Worlds 184.41
2021 WTT 196.65
2021 AC 204.06

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan have to be the overwhelming favorites now to win the Bronze in the team event now that they have a quality Pairs teams to go along with their strong singles skaters.

Reactions: Myr

Tahuu

On the Ice
^ More likely a strong challenger for the team silver.

JPN vs USA
Men: Tie
Women: Edge to JPN
Dance: USA
Pairs: Edge to JPN? (Alexa/Brandon’s PB is 199.31)

Last edited:

madraykin

Rinkside

JPN vs USA
PB for C-G/L is 205.58 so pairs is close based on PB at the moment.

I agree though that US have gone from almost definite silver to having to fight for it and not make any big mistakes.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Komatsubara/Koleto at Asian Open. Wish Muramoto/Takahashi got to debut that RD internationally here, too.

readernick

Medalist

JPN vs USA
Of course, Alexa/ Brandon have only participated in 2 international competitions. They have really good elements and better programs this year.. So, their PB will probably increase significantly this year if they skate well. I think the US probably has the edge in pairs and, obviously, in ice dance. Japan should definitely have the edge in ladies. ( If Rika is healthy and at the Olympics). Men will likely be edge to Nathan ( if he skates both programs) although that is not guaranteed. Japan has the best overall men's team. All in all, the USA's silver is not 💯 but it is likely. However, Japan is now definitely the favorite for the bronze. Without Riku & Ryuichi it would be highly unlikely Team Japan would medal.

I really hope that Riku & Ryuichi continue to skate after the Olympics. They have so much potential and could challenge the Russians and Chinese in a few years with continued improvement. I love that team's attitude and seemingly positive relationship. They are just so cute!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

mikeko666

Final Flight
Komatsubara/Koleto at Asian Open. Wish Muramoto/Takahashi got to debut that RD internationally here, too.
I wonder if Misato and Tim will withdraw from Asia Open because they are to compete at Skate America next week. Their Twitter and Instagram mentioned Skate America but are silent about Asian Open.

The Japanese media organizations just reported Kana and Dai will compete at Warsaw Cup (Nov. 18-21) next week of NHK Trophy.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Thank you @cohkaix for setting up the Regional threads! :clap:

BTW, using this quote as a quick response: as usual, there will be no pair and ice dance competitions in the regional competitions. For this year, the ice dance will compete under east sectionals, and pair under west sectionals. Miura/Kihara and Komatsubara/Komatsubara are the seeded couples. But I'm looking forward to the other couples to show up (esp. for pair, Jr. or Sr.) at sectionals as well.