mikeko666

Final Flight
Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Riku and Ryuichi won Silver Medal at Skate America! :love:

I thought Bronze might be possible depending on how the American would do, but never expected Silver.
Riku had a hard fall on 3LzTh, but they didn't let it affect their performance. They are really strong, but also so adorable!
Loved them so much. So far, the highlight of the event for me. Bruno and Meagan really are building a dynamic duo from Japan in Pairs and with this duo, I think Japan should secure a bronze in the team event. Originally, when I saw their Grand Prix events they were scheduled for, against all the best three Russian Teams, I was hoping they would be able to win bronze at both events to solidly a top ten standing in this event. Now, with this surprise silver medal, they are making a case for a top 6 Grand Prix finals. I still see and predict 4 Russians, a Chinese pair and now I’m seeing Japan in the finals.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know bruno and megan are really working on this team. I am not sold on them but that doesn't matter because the judges love them. I kind of feel sorry for the Americans and Canadians because I think they deserve to be ahead of this team but so far this season you sense this is the new 3 to 6th place team in the world. dropping the Canadians and Americans. 2 to 4th was a crap shoot here. Not a great event for the very top teams but no quesiton T and M deserved gold despite their problems.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but a summary translation of Japanese sports media article on Riku and Ryuichi:
Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara placed second at Skate America, marking PBs in both segments. It is the first time in 10 years since a Japanese pair was on the podium in the GP series. Miura fell on her throw Lz, but regrouped and carried on. She was "extremely nervous", but kept her trust in Kihara, who also "firmly believed that Miura-san can get it back together, so I just focused on what I had to do." They both found the competition challenging, but shut out distractions and didn't give up.

Original article: https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2021/10/24/kiji/20211024s00079000287000c.html

I'm really excited about this pair! When Ryuichi first switched to pairs, I never imagined he would continue for so long and improve so much. I can only imagine how hard he's worked.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
They could win an olympic medal in pairs. Just saying. They are good, hungry, no pressure, gerat coaching and strategy and others are faltering. Most im portant they seem to be the chosen ones. At the very least the judges clearly have said they are willing to place them ahead of the Americans, Canadians who are trending downwars majorly and it appears the third Russian team which says a lot. This is an olympic year but no one's programs even without tech issues are really wowing so the door is open.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

mikeko666

Final Flight
Are Utana and Seiji exempt because they train abroad?
According to Kiria and Aru's monthly Instagram live last month, Utana is back in Okayama. Seiji seems to be in Japan, too. I'm afraid they might have split.
Entries of Junior Nationals will be announced next week after this weekend's Western Sectionals . We'll see if they are still skating together.

Ice-Dance.com posted photos from Eastern Sectionals.

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
A report of today's official practice by a local TV station of Okayama, Daisuke and Misato's home prefecture.

Kana and Daisuke

Misato and Tim

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Maybe Daisuke Takahashi won't become a world class ice dancer, but nobody can say that he's not taking this seriously. Just look at those guns he's got now! One look at those arms shows he's been putting in the work in the gym, and the NHK Trophy showed that he's been putting in the work on the ice as well.

It's incredibly impressive that's he's now got the highest international score of any Japanese ice dancing team in history in only his second year of competition.

readernick

Medalist
Maybe Daisuke Takahashi won't become a world class ice dancer, but nobody can say that he's not taking this seriously. Just look at those guns he's got now! One look at those arms shows he's been putting in the work in the gym, and the NHK Trophy showed that he's been putting in the work on the ice as well.

It's incredibly impressive that's he's now got the highest international score of any Japanese ice dancing team in history in only his second year of competition.
I'm a bit conflicted about this. On one hand, Daisuke is one of my favorite figure skaters of all time. And, I think that his decision to go into ice dance has increased interest in this discipline in Japan which should have a lot of strong teams given how strong Japanese basic skating skills are. Also, there is no doubt he is working incredibly hard and has made huge progress as an ice dancer.

On the other hand, he is getting incredible favors from the judges and I'm not sure that is fair to Misato and Tim. The lifts in Kana/ Daisuke's programs are frankly a bit scary. There are issues, but the judges are trying to ignore them...

Is it good for Japanese ice dance 💯 yes.

Is it fair? 🤔

Something I'm not conflicted about is M/K. They did great again! I'm so proud of their progress!

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
According to Kiria and Aru's monthly Instagram live last month, Utana is back in Okayama. Seiji seems to be in Japan, too. I'm afraid they might have split.
Entries of Junior Nationals will be announced next week after this weekend's Western Sectionals . We'll see if they are still skating together.

Ice-Dance.com posted photos from Eastern Sectionals.
I've just had a look at the entries for Junior nationals and I think you might be right. It's the same five entries from eastern sectionals. I hope we will see Utana again soon!

According to https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1459536744819351561?s=20
Misato & Tim are not going to be at the gala. Surely NHK could have made room for them? They have such fun programs!

mikeko666

Final Flight
According to https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1459536744819351561?s=20
Misato & Tim are not going to be at the gala. Surely NHK could have made room for them? They have such fun programs!
Misato said she injured a ligament of her left elbow. It's likely they will withdraw from Warsaw Cup. She said she will go back to the US next Monday. They haven't been able to enter Canada because the Canadian immigration rejects her visa without explaining why.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I'm a bit conflicted about this. On one hand, Daisuke is one of my favorite figure skaters of all time. And, I think that his decision to go into ice dance has increased interest in this discipline in Japan which should have a lot of strong teams given how strong Japanese basic skating skills are. Also, there is no doubt he is working incredibly hard and has made huge progress as an ice dancer.

On the other hand, he is getting incredible favors from the judges and I'm not sure that is fair to Misato and Tim. The lifts in Kana/ Daisuke's programs are frankly a bit scary. There are issues, but the judges are trying to ignore them...

Is it good for Japanese ice dance 💯 yes.

Is it fair? 🤔

Something I'm not conflicted about is M/K. They did great again! I'm so proud of their progress!
I don't think Kana/Dai are getting much favors from the judges. They beat Mitato/Tim on TES. The judges were rather conservative with Kana/Dai in RD because they were the first to skate and the judges didn't know what to expect. Judge No.3 is a Japanese and he gave higher marks to Misato/Kana in PCS. I was in the arena yesterday for FD, and it was apparent that Kana/Dai had better skating skills with more speed and deeper edges. Misato/Tim have been skating together for more than 5 years, but their skating skills haven't improved much.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think Kana/Dai are getting much favors from the judges. They beat Mitato/Tim on TES. The judges were rather conservative with Kana/Dai in RD because they were the first to skate and the judges didn't know what to expect. Judge No.3 is a Japanese and he gave higher marks to Misato/Kana in PCS. I was in the arena yesterday for FD, and it was apparent that Kana/Dai had better skating skills with more speed and deeper edges. Misato/Tim have been skating together for more than 5 years, but their skating skills haven't improved much.
I know there is much conflict in dance. Having Dai in dance is really adding interest to ice dance in Japan. It just seems JSF and everyone is pulling for him to make it with his partner to olympics and win a team medal. Life isn't fair. Shade s of Diana Davis in some ways. I still think Dai is being gifted with points but that's me and the fact is it doesn't matter. He's going to Beijing and he's going to get another olympic medal and the fans will adore him and ice dance will gain popularity in Japan. And a certain ice dance team will not being going to Beijing and will be forgotten.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If they can't get into Canada, how are they going to train with the Montreal group? Who would they train with?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
If they can't get into Canada, how are they going to train with the Montreal group? Who would they train with?
In the previous post, it was mentioned that the couple plan to return to US to train (not sure where in US...Colorado?) I think they have to go with the online sessions with their coaches in Montreal.

On the other hand, in the post-compeition/pre-Gala interview of Kana/Dai, it is for sure that they will attend the up-coming Warsaw Cup (and return to US for training after that). Both Kana & Daisuke talked about the NHK results are giving them a boost in confidence and positivity about moving on.

Weathergal

Medalist
In the previous post, it was mentioned that the couple plan to return to US to train (not sure where in US...Colorado?) I think they have to go with the online sessions with their coaches in Montreal.

On the other hand, in the post-compeition/pre-Gala interview of Kana/Dai, it is for sure that they will attend the up-coming Warsaw Cup (and return to US for training after that). Both Kana & Daisuke talked about the NHK results are giving them a boost in confidence and positivity about moving on.
Yes, Tim's family lives in Colorado (don't know what city though) so they've been training there.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Yes, Tim's family lives in Colorado (don't know what city though) so they've been training there.
I don't see the point in leaving the country for a couple of weeks of training, only to have to return and likely endure quarantine again right before Nationals.