2021-22 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The complete entries to All Japan Nationals 2021 has just been published by JSF (as of Nov 27th). The complete entry lists to pairs and ice dance will be updated in the discussion of National events.

There are 2 pair entries and 7 dance couples in total this year:

Pair -
1. Riku Miura/ Ryuichi Kihara
2. Miyu Yonoki/Shoya Ichihashi

Ice dance -
1. Misato Komatsubara/Takeru Komatsubara
2. Ayumi Takanami/Shingo Nishiyama
3. Nicole Takahashi/Shiloh Judd
4. Kiria Hirayama/Aru Tateno
5. Rikako Fukase/Oliver Zhang
6. Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi
7. Haruna Yajima/Yoshimitsu Ikeda

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
According to Meagan Duhamel in TSL, Riku & Ryuichi will skip Nationals because the Japanese government will not give Bruno visa and there is no other international level pairs. So, Marina or I.AM coaches may not be able to enter Japan either.
As for the skaters, Nicole and Shiloh entered Japan early before the government tightened the restriction against non-Japanese citizens, but looks like Rikako is still in Montreal, which might mean Oliver could not get visa.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
So assuming Miyu Yonoki/Shoya Ichihashi wins nationals, will they be given an international assignment to see if they can qualify for the Olympics?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
About the current status of the pair and dance teams, roughly:

Ice dance -
1. Misato Komatsubara/Takeru Komatsubara -- probably already returned? (indirect source from IG/Tweeter)
2. Ayumi Takanami/Shingo Nishiyama -- should be in Japan already (Shingo posted photos at airport over a week ago)
3. Nicole Takahashi/Shiloh Judd -- should be in Japan already? will be absent from Japan National (per JSF announcement)
4. Kiria Hirayama/Aru Tateno -- training in Japan
5. Rikako Fukase/Oliver Zhang --?? will be absent from Japan National (per JSF announcement)
6. Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi -- still in Florida?
7. Haruna Yajima/Yoshimitsu Ikeda -- training in Japan

As for the pairs and about Riku & Ryuichi, we may have to wait until JSF to make the formal announcement. But I've just seen posts on tweeter that JSF just made some revision to the selection criteria to accommodate the cancellation of GPF and any possible case of virus infection. So I think there might be special measure for R&R situation.

*While working on the above reply, I just got from tweeter that JSF announced Miura and Kihara have formally gained the spot in pair's figure skating! (for both Beijing Oly and WC)

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
So assuming Miyu Yonoki/Shoya Ichihashi wins nationals, will they be given an international assignment to see if they can qualify for the Olympics?
I don't think that's how it will work...since Japan didn't send any pair to compete for that 2nd spot at Nebelhorn, basically that spot was given up.
On the other hand, Japan do get to keep a 2nd spot at WC. Now Riku & Ryuichi is confirmed to enter 2022 WC (also by the announcement from JSF), Yonoko/Ichihashi could try and see if they will be able to get the 2nd spot for WC. But of course, even they perform well at Nationals, they will need to get the TES min at a certain international competition to get that 2nd spot. And the international assignment (after Nationals) will also be decided by JSF.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
About the current status of the pair and dance teams, roughly:

3. Nicole Takahashi/Shiloh Judd -- should be in Japan already? will be absent from Japan National (per JSF announcement)
5. Rikako Fukase/Oliver Zhang --?? will be absent from Japan National (per JSF announcement)

I'm sad about Rikako/Oliver and Nicole/Shiloh missing out on competing at Nationals. I hope the federation will still support and consider them for international assignments next season.

6. Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi -- still in Florida?

Yesterday it was announced on their official websites that they are scheduled to compete (these news usually only appear when their participation is confirmed), so they should have come back to Japan some time last week. Otherwise they won't be able complete the mandatory 14-day quarantine in time.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Yesterday it was announced on their official websites that they are scheduled to compete (these news usually only appear when their participation is confirmed), so they should have come back to Japan some time last week. Otherwise they won't be able complete the mandatory 14-day quarantine in time.
I read that there would be a special exemption for Japanese athletes preparing for the Olympics, but I could only find a Japanese story on it.

Running it through Google Translate:

"Omicron stock" border measures, special measures for athletes aiming for the Beijing Olympics and Para​

On the 4th, the government is expected to take special measures for Japanese athletes aiming for the Beijing Olympics and Paralympics in February to March next year over the border measures for the new variant of the new coronavirus "Omicron strain". I found out by interviewing people. We have decided to allow athletes who are about to be selected for the national team to practice during the waiting period after returning to Japan, subject to strict behavioral management, and have informed the competition group.

Before the waterfront measures were strengthened, special cases such as being able to participate in practice and games were allowed if the athletes were negative for three consecutive days after entering Japan. Currently, it does not apply, and it is required to wait for 14 days after returning to Japan. With this special case, it will be possible to practice even during the waiting period by thoroughly implementing infection control measures such as completely cutting off contact with the general public.

In the selection of the Japanese national team for the Beijing Olympics, some athletes scheduled to participate in the figure skating all-Japan championship (Saitama) on the 23rd to 26th have not returned to Japan yet, and speed skating will be held on the 27th to 30th. and, PyeongchangPyeongchang Top athletes such as Nao Kodaira (Aizawa Hospital), who won the Olympic gold medal, are on an overseas expedition, and there are concerns about the impact on adjustments after returning to Japan.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I read that there would be a special exemption for Japanese athletes preparing for the Olympics, but I could only find a Japanese story on it.

According to the relevant bit from the article (DeepL translation):

“Before the measures were strengthened, players were allowed to take part in training and matches if they tested negative for three consecutive days after entering the country. This is no longer the case and players are now required to wait 14 days after returning home. The new rule will allow players to practise during the waiting period, provided they take all infection control measures, such as completely avoiding contact with the public.”

This sounds like the quarantine period can no longer be shortened by submitting negative PCR tests on three consecutive days, of which several skaters made use for the NHK Trophy. (I am relying on DeepL and interpretations from native speakers on twitter and could be wrong).

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
According to the relevant bit from the article (DeepL translation):

This sounds like the quarantine period can no longer be shortened by submitting negative PCR tests on three consecutive days, of which several skaters made use for the NHK Trophy. (I am relying on DeepL and interpretations from native speakers on twitter and could be wrong).
The last line of your quote was "The new rule will allow players to practise during the waiting period, provided they take all infection control measures, such as completely avoiding contact with the public." I take this to mean that the practise facility can become part of the quarantine, allowing the athletes to continue to practice while being restricted in their other activities. Whether this will also allow them to participate in a competition within the 14 days period of re-entry is indeed unclear.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Great idea @dorispulaski about creating a subforum in the Main Arena for all Nationals threads.

This particular thread didn't make it to that new subforum yet.

ETA:
And now it has! :)

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yonoki/Ishihashi (Japan's second pairs team):

They have good basics for a fairly new team, along with good SS. But they are still very slow, still obviously learning to master required elements. Right now, they are only showing a single twist and double throw jumps. They appear to be good jumpers (as they are obviously good singles skaters). They need to jump closer together; they need to work on spins; and their lifts are obviously very shaky at the moment. Plus, the music selection is overly generic. I wonder if they are trained (at least in part) by Bruno Marcotte, and whether Julie Marcotte is doing their choreo, in her spare time.

Ichihashi used to be partnered with Riku Miura:

^^ M/I were at a junior Worlds. They looked okay together, but Miura/Kihara are obviously a better matched team for sure, with much more spark and excitement. Plus, M/K have improved tremendously in a short time.

M/I were only doing double throws and double twist at that time in juniors. Ichihashi looks to be a more elegant type of skater, while Miura seems more athletic, with all-around talent. The music M/I skated to certainly wasn't doing anything for them. Meanwhile, M/K have that extra something, along with mutual goals which seem very well aligned.

It has certainly helped M/K with their consistency by bringing back their same programs from last season. Going forward, they will need to get two unique programs and not rest on laurels from this season.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Japan do get to keep a 2nd spot at WC.
Judging by how Y/I currently look, that will certainly be a gift spot for them to go to Worlds. They probably wouldn't qualify for the the fp (if qualifying designated spots is still the process).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The relatively new team of Ayumi Takanami & Shingo Nishiyama have a fan fest.

They may be closer to the top two teams at Nationals than I expected!

mikeko666

Final Flight

They have good basics for a fairly new team, along with good SS. But they are still very slow, still obviously learning to master required elements. Right now, they are only showing a single twist and double throw jumps. They appear to be good jumpers (as they are obviously good singles skaters). They need to jump closer together; they need to work on spins; and their lifts are obviously very shaky at the moment. Plus, the music selection is overly generic. I wonder if they are trained (at least in part) by Bruno Marcotte is doing their choreo, in her spare time.

The relatively new team of Ayumi Takanami & Shingo Nishiyama have a fan fest.

They may be closer to the top two teams at Nationals than I expected!
They got quite high scores in RD at the Canadian local competitions because they got level 4 (YYYY) in Midnight Blues. I'm curious what level they will receive at Nationals.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It will be interesting to see. The Canadians are not in general easy graders on patterns. I have no clue how forgiving or not forgiving Japanese tech panels are

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
It will be interesting to see. The Canadians are not in general easy graders on patterns. I have no clue how forgiving or not forgiving Japanese tech panels are
Japan is usually very strict with both technical and PCS scoring, although dance is a little different. It's scored a bit more like US Nationals, at least with levels. For example, last year Tim was saying in the k&c how he missed the last key point in the RD... and then the tech panel awarded them all key points. I don't know if it has changed this year though.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

They have good basics for a fairly new team, along with good SS. But they are still very slow, still obviously learning to master required elements. Right now, they are only showing a single twist and double throw jumps. They appear to be good jumpers (as they are obviously good singles skaters). They need to jump closer together; they need to work on spins; and their lifts are obviously very shaky at the moment. Plus, the music selection is overly generic. I wonder if they are trained (at least in part) by Bruno Marcotte, and whether Julie Marcotte is doing their choreo, in her spare time.
Yunoki/Ichihashi are an adorable team! I'm glad to see them perform in front of a decent audience and Miyu's smile is so bright :)
First senior nationals and they are the champions 😇 💐

I'd like to see them keep their free skate and hopefully they'll develop steadily over the coming seasons!