2021-22 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Cathy Reed announced in her blog that there will be a 'Chris Reed Trophy' of Ice Dance competition in Sept 23rd, 2022.

This is great, as there's almost no other ice dance competition locally in Japan at the beginning of the season.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
News on Oly team Japan members:

Riku and Ryuichi were already in Beijing, they flew from Canada. And they had their first practice in the arena earlier today.

Misato (and Tim) traveled with the other members (in addition to FS) from Team Japan earlier today. (I don't have the news link here, but I saw Misato in the news about Team Japan leaving for Beijing earlier today)

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Since this thread is about pair and ice dance, I guess it should be okay to leave this news here:

According to the news, Mao Asada is currently preparing for her 2nd tour, after her 1st 'Thanks tour' finished last year. And to prepare for the new programs, she decided to challenge something new: so now she's practicing pair skating. (No, this is not a joke).

(For the purpose of the show, I think), also Mao's practicing throw jump. Right now she said she can land doubles.

The new programs of the show, and her partner, are still kept in secret (but I'm just curious who could be a suitable choice? it seemed someone said that her partner 'did have experience with pair skating'.)

Oh, and Mao said she's not thinking about returning to competitions..the possibility of that is 0% :biggrin:.

Mao and her partner use Riku/Ryuichi's videos as practice example.

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
The new programs of the show, and her partner, are still kept in secret (but I'm just curious who could be a suitable choice? it seemed someone said that her partner 'did have experience with pair skating'.)

Oh, and Mao said she's not thinking about returning to competitions..the possibility of that is 0% :biggrin:.

Mao and her partner use Riku/Ryuichi's videos as practice example.
I was totally going to suggest Nobu otherwise :giggle:

Don't want to get too excited but if the 2022 worlds entries stay as they are...Riku and Ryuichi would be the 3rd highest ranked pair competing with the 2nd highest SB this season!

Kana and Daisuke are also entered for ice dance :love2:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Yoshimitsu Ikeda rings a bell...did he compete with another partner before?
Ikeda's former partner was Haruno Yajima. The pair broke up prior to the JPN Nationals last year.

And before skating with Yajima, Ikeda's partner was Ayumi Takanami at Jr. level (Ayumi is now skating with Shingo Nishiyama)

There's not much info about Shiori Iwanaga though.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Very sad to hear of Shingo's partnership not working out once more. Fingers crossed for him, he's so talented.
How many ID couples does this leave Japan with?
I am hopeful to hear KanaDai intend to promote their category in Japan. 💮
I think there are now 5 senior ice dance teams:

1. Misato Komatsubara/Takeru Komatsubara
2. Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi
3. Rikako Fukase/Oliver Zhang
4. Nicole Takahashi/Shiloh Judd
5. Shiori Iwanaga/Yoshimitsu Ikeda

To my knowledge there are 4 junior ice dance teams (Sasaki/Tamura split after nationals - Ayano is currently on IPS) including Kida/Morita who are heading to junior worlds next month. :giggle:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
You mean his family can't fund his training any more?
No, I think it's rink space in Japan, since most skater train on public sessions which doesn't work for pairs/ice dance and renting out rinks privately is too expensive, so since Shingo can't get to Canada he's pretty stuck right now. At least that was my understanding.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
No, I think it's rink space in Japan, since most skater train on public sessions which doesn't work for pairs/ice dance and renting out rinks privately is too expensive, so since Shingo can't get to Canada he's pretty stuck right now. At least that was my understanding.
I did a quick media search in Japanese, but couldn't find much. He is clearly planning to continue in ice dance. Is he unable to enter Canada? It sounded more like a personal (or family) decision to stay in Japan. He is based in Tokyo, which is a disadvantage for skaters as you say in terms of limited rink availability. He would be better off in Kansai training with Cathy Reed's group, but he goes to uni in Tokyo (Waseda). Maybe he wants to experience campus life and skate with the university club in a less pressurized environment for a while?