2021-22 Japanese Nationals: Women's SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Nationals: Women's SP

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Did they show the speed for any of the other girls like they usually do? I only saw it for Kaori. Usually Wakaba is even faster than Kaori on it. Maybe because her SP is a slower paced song this year they didn't bother?
Kaori was 27.4km/h and Wakaba was 25.6km/h according to the ice scope data they showed while they were waiting for results.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaori is most probably going to be National Champion. And all is right with the world!

Yes, it’s bittersweet because Rika wasn’t there. Would have certainly preferred to win it by beating Rika, because it makes the gold even more prestigious.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Kaori was 27.4km/h and Wakaba was 25.6km/h according to the ice scope data they showed while they were waiting for results.
Was that from the Fuji livestream feed? I was watching the Fuji main channel and didn't see that. It doesn't surprise me that her speed was slower than normal though, since her SP is a softer, slower program than most of her programs. Thanks for the info.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Miyabi Oba needs to send her a fruit basket of appreciation.
Kaori is most probably going to be National Champion. And all is right with the world!

Yes, it’s bittersweet because Rika wasn’t there. Would have certainly preferred to win it by beating Rika, because it makes the gold even more prestigious.
Eh, gold is gold. People will soon forget the circumstances, but the name and medal will be there for all of time.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eh, gold is gold. People will soon forget the circumstances, but the name and medal will be there for all of time.
I‘m not going to ask our bundle of sunshine to return the gold, nor did she do anything wrong (she can‘t be punished because her number one opponent had some bad luck with injuries), and you can only beat whomever is in front of you, but as a fan, you want to see the absolute best against the very best.

Hopefully next year we get the battle.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Was that from the Fuji livestream feed? I was watching the Fuji main channel and didn't see that. It doesn't surprise me that her speed was slower than normal though, since her SP is a softer, slower program than most of her programs. Thanks for the info.
Fuji had another channel recording backstage and K&C reactions from the skaters. It happened that they also put the videos on YT which were not geo-blocked. The videos include the speed map and the skaters were able to see that at K&C.

Kaori (@2:50) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui9PJQ3My1M
Wakaba (@1:38): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tnBIN4zB_c

It's obviously Kaori skated with more parts in the orange-red color (higher average speed). But I also agree the speed sometimes should pair with the music which can be slow in tempo at parts (or obvious slowing down in the middle of the program when skaters need to take a breath).

On a side notes, it's funny to see the skaters reaction to their own performances at the K&C (it's funny she didn't want to see her own Lz : Kaori knows it's problematic. And Wakaba on her flip too.)

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Kaori wouldn't be national champion if Rika was healthy or if Wakaba or Mana were scored appropriately. So, she should be happy with any victory. On a personal level, she is absolutely charming. It is her skating and the way she is scored in Japan that I have some issues with. I am still hoping that Wakaba and Mana manage to score well in the FS and force JF to consider them for the Olympic team. Wakaba (with Rika out) is the best all around skater that Japan has, and Mana is one skater who could be very successful in the future.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Fuji had another channel recording backstage and K&C reactions from the skaters. It happened that they also put the videos on YT which were not geo-blocked. The videos include the speed map and the skaters were able to see that at K&C.

It's obviously Kaori skated with more parts in the orange-red color (higher average speed). But I also agree the speed sometimes should pair with the music which can be slow in tempo at parts (or obvious slowing down in the middle of the program when skaters need to take a breath).

On a side notes, it's funny to see the skaters reaction to their own performances at the K&C (it's funny she didn't want to see her own Lz, she knows it's problematic. And Wakaba on her flip too.)
Oh, ok. Thanks. They were both lucky the tech caller was sleeping, lol. Yes, Sakamoto tends to be more Osmond style full speed all the time and jump outward, whereas Higuchi tends to be more old school of varying speeds more and jump up more than out. Neither style is inherently better, they are just different, and each girl has alot of natural speed.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Kaori wouldn't be national champion if Rika was healthy or if Wakaba or Mana were scored appropriately. So, she should be happy with any victory. On a personal level, she is absolutely charming. It is her skating and the way she is scored in Japan that I have some issues with. I am still hoping that Wakaba and Mana manage to score well in the FS and force JF to consider them for the Olympic team. Wakaba (with Rika out) is the best all around skater that Japan has, and Mana is one skater who could be very successful in the future.
Unfortunately the only skater the JSF seems to like less than Wakaba is Mana, lol. Anyway, Wakaba better be sharp tomorrow because Rino looked good yesterday, and Mihara was getting better GOE on most of her jumps than Wakaba was 🤔. Higuchi needs to attack and not be worried about mistakes, because being too cautious can backfire. At least she will know what she needs to score when she skates.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Boy, am I glad YOU said that.... my wife and I were watching channel 5 Fuji Terrestrial on demand and we got a bunch of cool toothpaste and beer commerials and the we got the Ice scope. How high, how far, how fast the axels? But we were also getting a very tiny glitch exactly every five seconds..kind of annoying...maybe a buffering issue...who knows...but it was very small. .so after the comp I went to another (secret) app I use for Japanese Nats, went to channel 5 Fuji Terrestrial...watched some of the same show again and no glitch but they showed the warmups instead of commercials!
Gonna watch the mens short and see if the commercials and glitch and the ice scope go away on the secret app. (I am gonna miss those commercials if they went away.... LOL! Did anyone else not see the ice scope? Or Just Joekaz?

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Just getting to watch the replay now...I don't like Wakaba's music, but her costume is gorgeous and she put out a mature and joyful performance, which is great to see. Her coach told her "that was terrific" in the K&C, awww....

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Had this ready in case content was removed from yt~

I know Fuji TV Sports has officially uploaded Kaori, Wakaba and Mana's SPs but if anyone is interested I've posted links to some of the other top finishing Women's SPs
(I recorded from FOD stream so unfortunately no commentary or fancy graphics included)

Satoko Miyahara SP
Mai Mihara SP
Rino Matsuike SP
Rion Sumiyoshi SP
Rinka Watanabe SP
Mone Chiba SP
Azusa Tanaka SP
Ayumi Shibayama SP

Please let me know if there are any problems with links or video

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Had this ready in case content was removed from yt~

I know Fuji TV Sports has officially uploaded Kaori, Wakaba and Mana's SPs but if anyone is interested I've posted links to some of the other top finishing Women's SPs
(I recorded from FOD stream so unfortunately no commentary or fancy graphics included)

Satoko Miyahara SP
Mai Mihara SP
Rino Matsuike SP
Rion Sumiyoshi SP
Rinka Watanabe SP
Mone Chiba SP
Azusa Tanaka SP
Ayumi Shibayama SP

Please let me know if there are any problems with links or video
Love these! Love watching without yacking. Kanako is fine....the guy, whoever he is, talks too much.

labgoat

Updating rewatches...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ladies videos have gone into hiding for now
And some of them are back in skate order

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice

On a side notes, it's funny to see the skaters reaction to their own performances at the K&C (it's funny she didn't want to see her own Lz : Kaori knows it's problematic. And Wakaba on her flip too.)
Do you happen to have the jump statistics for Wakaba's 3A in the LP?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Do you happen to have the jump statistics for Wakaba's 3A in the LP?
I didn't find one. And I don't recall there's one for that. The reason I figured is that her 3A in LP didn't have a successful landing (a step out, I remember?). So perhaps the jump cannot be captured and measured properly.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
I didn't find one. And I don't recall there's one for that. The reason I figured is that her 3A in LP didn't have a successful landing (a step out, I remember?). So perhaps the jump cannot be captured and measured properly.
I highly doubt that is the reason.They had no trouble showing the height of Hanyu's 4A attempt, which had a much worse landing, and wasn't even fully rotated, unlike Wakaba's 3A.The stepout obviously occurs after she lands. The tracker should be able to measure her distance in the air. I find it odd they seem to be selective on when they show these stats. And since her 3A is the most impressive jump of the Japanese ladies, you would think they would show the stats. Thanks for looking though. On a side note, as we agreed, speed will vary with the program. This time Wakaba was faster than Kaori.