2021-22 Russian Pairs' Figure Skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Pairs' Figure Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love M/G and wish OGM for them, but… that FS music is really making me and my Soviet ass upset. The 2nd piece is the music which I used to hear every day for a long time, when the evening news segment “Time” started. Needless to say it had an effect, as if I put this as my morning alarm clock for many years.
For westerners, I imagine it would be as hearing a NBC/CNN breaking news sound as a 2nd part of the music. It doesn’t even sound like music to me anymore, I just perceive it as a “sound”.
:ROFLMAO:

Thank you for posting this! I'd seen bits of comments here and there that made me wonder just how familiar that music is to other populations. I can't imagine what Moskvina was thinking by choosing it, especially in view of what you're saying, but also because it just doesn't seem to fit, or to resonate well with a lot of other people. She did say in a recent interview that she had asked people's advice (whose, I don't know) about using it and received affirmative answers.

I also love M/G❤️ and wish the OGM for them. They bring something really special to pairs skating; they have heart, and sparkle, and real diva-esque personalities, paired with a down-to-earth feeling that is just lovely. Not to mention brilliant elements. The FS doesn't seem like an Olympic program to me. But, Nastya and Sasha are already making me feel something through the music, and I can imagine that this will continue to improve. I noticed that they (and Moskvina) changed and developed the Queen program all through the season last year, so I imagine that will happen again. In fact, Sasha said in an interview a couple of weeks ago that that process already started, after the test skates.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ Is there a translation? Karina and Nikita are one of my newly discovered favorite pairs. I'd love to hear or read what they have to say, but I only know three words in Russian. LOL.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Fantastic short program from T/M in Skam.

Question is if they can finally perform a clean FS. That has always been their weakness. Always managing to commit silly errors.

5 point difference from B/K is very beatable especially with B/K having higher base value.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
Well with Akhanteva/Kolesov and Kostiukovich/Bruihkanov likely out of rusnats and certainly out of the JGPF, we can say it’s a new generation of pairs.

The previous generation:
Borisova/Sopot
Atakhanova/Spiridonov
Boikova/Kozlovskii
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin
Mishina/Galliamov
Panfilova/Rylov
Kostiukovich/Ialin
Akhanteva/Kolesov

The results were pretty impressive - 4/9 reached senior status successfully

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Daria and Denis are planning a 3T+3T+2T in their free skate, according to the planned program content! I think they may have previously attempted this in the 2017-18 season? It's nice to see them upping the tech content, and I really look forward to seeing their programs this weekend.

DariaDenis3T.PNG

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Daria and Denis are planning a 3T+3T+2T in their free skate, according to the planned program content! I think they may have previously attempted this in the 2017-18 season? It's nice to see them upping the tech content, and I really look forward to seeing their programs this weekend.

View attachment 4467
I can’t wait to see them skate both programs 🙌

hanca

Record Breaker
Well with Akhanteva/Kolesov and Kostiukovich/Bruihkanov likely out of rusnats and certainly out of the JGPF, we can say it’s a new generation of pairs.

The previous generation:
Borisova/Sopot
Atakhanova/Spiridonov
Boikova/Kozlovskii
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin
Mishina/Galliamov
Panfilova/Rylov
Kostiukovich/Ialin
Akhanteva/Kolesov

The results were pretty impressive - 4/9 reached senior status successfully
It is pretty normal that a certain percentage of pairs don’t survive into seniors. Some may realise that they have no chance because they don’t have the technical difficulty that is needed (Borisova/Sopot), some split up because one of the skaters is injured (Atakhanova/Spiridonov), some ladies get too tall for their partners (Kostiukovich/Ialin)…

I think it is too early to make any forecast about Akhanteva/Kolesov and Kostiukovich/Briukhanov. How can you say that they didn’t survive into seniors when they haven’t aged out yet? OK, they will probably not qualify to senior nationals this year, but that’s not a big deal. They may do extremely well at the junior nationals, get send to junior worlds, medal… and get to senior reserve team thanks to that. Or do extremely well at the Russian cup final and the federation may decide to put them on senior reserve. And even if they didn’t, that doesn’t mean that these two pairs did not ‘survive to seniors’. They may survive, they may just not be among the top teams now, but may come back next year, excel at the Russian cups and be back on track.