2021 Autumn Classic: Free Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2021 Autumn Classic: Free Dance

LadyB

Record Breaker
Not sure yet, but I'm sure they'll whip it into shape. I love them, love their lines, love them anyway, but as Kaitlyn seems to struggle with explaining P&P's performance., I think and hope they're gonna get as far as they can get this season. They so deserve anotherWorlds, and an Oly medal!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Though these two will never be my cup of tea, I commend them for losing the gimmickry and camp for once, and actually letting us see them skate (JMHO—again, I know they have many fans here)
I enjoyed their 2016-17 programs (the tango and the disco) a lot but they've been very hit or miss over the last couple quads for me personally.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Some teams often try very hard to impressionate something (or someone) they are not while some make an impression by just being themselves.
Looking first time at that FD, I am beyond glad P&P stayed themselves all this time, in better or worse competitive moments, and that their patience/work put inside their material together with care of making their particular voice be so sound was not put in vain.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Well I'll be going to bed with mixed emotions. I miss the feeling of falling in love with a program, haven't felt it once yet so far. Anyways, thanks for keeping me company as always, you all are such lovely folks. I need to get proper sleep because father dearest has announced the family will be visiting my paternal grandfather's grave-tree after about 10 hours from now. See y'all next week :thank: :bed:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Loved that for Piper and Paul. I unashamedly love them and so anything they do works in my eyes, but I really enjoyed this. It felt authentic and meaningful without being sappy. It HAS been a long and winding road for the both of them, the challenges they've faced both personally and professionally as skaters to make it to the top.
I think the programme lets them breathe, and I can really imagine it going down well with an Olympic audience.
Some little bobbles to figure out with lifts and transitions, but I think it's at a great stage for this point in the season. It'll mature and develop just like Both Sides Now did.

The costumes are glorious too. Sophisticated and classy.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Kaitlyn's comment that the program took the most successful moves from past programs made me think "that's it, it's a greatest hits piece". I'd hoped for a performance that had the immediate emotional impact that "Vincent" did, but I'll take this. Given that it's likely that this is Piper and Paul's last season, and equally unlikely that I'll get to travel to enjoy their show career, I've decided that I'm simply going to enjoy every second of their season.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I enjoyed their 2016-17 programs (the tango and the disco) a lot but they've been very hit or miss over the last couple quads for me personally.
Oddly—I too really liked their tango program, thought it suited them well and allowed them to stay true to their persona, without being gimmicky. Sort of an “English music hall” approach to tango, I thought.

LadyB

Record Breaker
time to go for me too! next week is going to be as demanding and tough as Shin Amano in a good day, jgp, Nebelhorn and cup of russia stage one, i'm going to need one more level of holyness :LOL: loveyou all! 😘
See you around, love!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Next week is a busy one for me but I'll try to catch what I can of Nebelhorn at least, so hopefully see you all then!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm visiting family, so I only got to watch the last two. Smart and Diaz were a lot of fun. I love this choice for them - not super overdone, lets them play characters and tell a story like they're so good at. Really enjoyable. I prefer it to H/K's FD (which was pretty good too). Really hoping they get the Olympic spot this time.

I see that some people here are unsure about it, but personally, I love Piper and Paul's program. The cover is perfect - glad they went back to Govardo to do it. It builds so nicely and feels exactly right for a great Olympic moment. A couple little choreo moments to smooth out, but over all I thought it was stunning. My favourite program this season (along with Green/Parsons' FD).

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm visiting family, so I only got to watch the last two. Smart and Diaz were a lot of fun. I love this choice for them - not super overdone, let's them play characters and tell a story like they're so good at. Really enjoyable. I prefer it to H/K's FD (which was pretty good too). Really hoping they get the Olympic spot this time.

I see that some people here are unsure about it, but personally, I love Piper and Paul's program. The cover is perfect - glad they went back to Govardo to do it. It builds so nicely and feels exactly right for a great Olympic moment. A couple little choreo moments to smooth out, but over all I thought it was stunning. My favourite program this season (along with Green/Parsons' FD).
I am a bit so-so about Smart/Diaz FD, but - they sure already know how to tell the story and their scores looked better than Hurtado/Khaliavin's which is crucial taking into consideration how Spanish Fed wants to select team for Olympic spot. Finlandia Trophy is the 1st competition that will count abd I am very curious how both those teams will look like side by side.

As for Piper and Paul - I love yet again *custom* music & arrangement chosen to build up a very personal program for them. And what's important I feel is that they music/program are not exactly intended to be everybody's cup of tea, nor an universal crowd pleaser - they again created something very close to themselves & their team first and with conviction to bring it out to the people for better or for worse. As you mentioned, there's a build-up quality there, in both music and choreography for me which I believe will be a beneficial factor in both growing the program itself and making it into something one of the kind as a moment.