2021 Skate America: Pairs Short Program | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: Pairs Short Program

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Knierim & Frazier that cost them levels on several elements ... they need to be allowed to go through the normal ebbs and flows that all pairs go through.

That's what I've been thinking. They came out together roaring, with amazing match-up of their elements. They'll probably learn from this ... already have, most likely. They're allowed a few skates when they're having to make adjustments. But I don't agree that everything was a result of 'Brandon held back' or 'Brandon didn't [this or that].'

I wrote more in my post on the previous page about this, but Alexa looked a little more aggressive than usual, and she seemed stressed. As a performing musician, I know how easy it is to speed up just the tiniest bit during a performance, without realizing it. Something similar might have happened, and it threw their timing off. Pairs mistakes aren't generally attributed to one partner or the other.

I think "House of the Rising Sun" is fantastic for them.

So do I! :love:

I'll take this over a recycled Hallelujah, but we keep getting recycled Hallelujahs because it's emotional and easy music to skate to.

I love Hallelujah and I think it's a wise choice. There are good reasons why skaters use emotional music -- because it works to carry the audience along with them. I don't think it's right to denigrate anyone for using music that helps them.

But I also think Miura/Kahira have gotten a boost ahead this season because they're re-using both programs, so naturally they're more polished at this point than nearly everybody else's programs. That may have been a smart choice by the team.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Miura/Kihara have more speed, bigger rink coverage and less distance with each other than Knierim/Frazier. Simply, M/K have better skating skills. It's you that is being political.
Miura/Kihara (filmed by a spectator)
Knierim/Frazier (filmed by a spectator)

LOL! Enjoy your splendiferous fandom. Can't wait to see Japan finally winning a team medal with Miura/Kihara's help, along with generous scoring by the judges, eh.

It's one thing to be excited for a really wonderful pairs team in Miura/Kihara, and quite another for the judges to blindly give high GOE to visible miscues by M/K, and then hear MK fans over-obsessing about M/K's generous score isn't high enough! :scratch2:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They're allowed a few skates when they're having to make adjustments. But I don't agree that everything was a result of 'Brandon held back' or 'Brandon didn't [this or that].' ... Alexa looked a little more aggressive than usual, and she seemed stressed.
IMHO, K/F are feeling pressure of being the fed faves, while knowing that their teammates are very skilled as well. Plus, knowing they have little to no political rep or stature with the judges. U.S. fed has consistently been inept at how to support their skaters either politically or proactively. In fact, U.S. fed is probably doing nothing politically to support their pairs discipline, because they are so bad at politics in the first place. They are probably just coasting on knowing that their men and ice dance divisions usually are consistently on the podium these days. The fed is definitely squandering all the talent they have in their pairs division through their utter incompetence. If the U.S. judge is more interested in supporting the Japanese team at Skate America, I think that says it all.

I'm not saying support your teams when they make mistakes, but all the judges should be recognizing and giving U.S. teams credit for their superb qualities, and I don't see that happening, in part due to the haphazard, biased way ISU judges score events on a regular basis.

It's easy for me to talk about what I see, and make suggestions to U.S. teams. I realize that nothing is as simple at their level with all the challenges they are facing. It's just that they have to forget all the noise around them, not worry about placements, and go out there and embrace the opportunities they have. I'm not sure what if anything Meno/Sand are doing to guide mental strategy. But their training camp should focus on coming up with something that might be more effective: Simulation drills. Relaxation techniques. Brainstorm sessions, where they all get out of their system their angst and nervous energy. Something!

Because obviously, the judges and many fans are in Miura/Kihara's corner and in the corner of the new Spanish/Italian pair who train in Italy, while caring less about the prodigious qualities and depth of U.S. teams, who continue to be too easily dismissed and made to understand they have to be completely letter perfect. I suspect even achieving consistent perfection won't be good enough in the loaded international pairs environment, particularly with the dismissive attitudes that continue unabated toward U.S. skaters.

In addition, the scoring of C/J, to me indicates that they see C/J as the second place U.S. team, so that they didn't give C/J full credit for how well they skated, and for the superb quality of their skating. C/J's score should have edged M/K's or at least been in the same ballpark, seeing as how M/K had two visible minor miscues (but were given high GOE). It's blatant.

The judges were also a bit generous to K/F with the 66+, but I think it was in general fair due to their other high-level qualities. Meanwhile, as a new team, Liu/O'Shea were a bit more punished for their mistakes, while not being given adequate GOE for their best qualities. I don't see anything changing anytime soon, so it's depressing. It's a vicious cycle. Skaters can't improve and gain momentum without sufficient competitive opportunities at major events. The U.S. really needs to have 3 spots at Worlds and Olympics for the obvious quality and depth of their pairs teams. K/F and C-G/LD felt too much pressure at Worlds to grab that third spot within reach, but the judges also didn't give them any help or full respect. The teams just have to decide to be bolder and shake off the nerves and anxiety. Do You! Embrace the Challenge!

Chelsea Liu looked like a million dollars with the gorgeous red-highlights in her hair, matched with her red costume. But she proceeded to make the same nervous mistakes. She's got to shake it off. Chelsea & Danny are hugely talented. Don't let your talent go to waste.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
they're more polished at this point than nearly everybody else's programs.
No, Miura/Kihara need to develop more polish overall. Even Meghan Duhamel said that at Autumn Classic. With using the same programs, the advantage is just familiarity with their programs, not polish.

mikeko666

Final Flight
No, Miura/Kihara need to develop more polish overall. Even Meghan Duhamel said that at Autumn Classic. With using the same programs, the advantage is just familiarity with their programs, not polish.
Meghan said Riku/Ryuichi would need to be more polished if they want to catch up with the top Russian and Chinese pairs. She wasn't even talking about the North American pairs.