2021 Skate Canada: Rhythm Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Rhythm Dance

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But the thing is if they do street street won't it look sort of awkward? It's primarily an African-American style isn't it? And none of these skaters have that background.

Exactly. Which is why the ISU was out of their minds.

And you're right about it being awkward if they followed the designated style, so it's just as well that there seems to be an across-the-board decision to ignore it and skate to whatever you'd like.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Won't make it to see Liza, but I hope she's gonna smash it. 🤞 🤞 🤞 I'll have another wine and then really looking forward to bed, it's 2.30 amhere and I got up at 5.15. Long day!
See yous all tom...er...later! 👋

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Won't make it to see Liza, but I hope she's gonna smash it. 🤞 🤞 🤞 I'll have another wine and then really looking forward to bed, it's 2.30 amhere and I got up at 5.15. Long day!
See yous all tom...er...later! 👋
Good night! I'll cheer extra loudly for Liza for us all.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My favorites were Smart/Diaz and Green/Parsons. Both teams I feel have great programs this year! I was not that crazy about either Gilles/Poirier or Guignard/Fabbri. I find Gilles/Poirier's costumes very memorable, but not the program & choreography. And G/F had so many music cuts and the MJ music just doesn't suit them or show off their best features. Too bad about Fear/Gibson's twizzle error, I wonder what the judges would've scored them if clean. Looks like the medals are pretty decided already. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the field, who are very close in scores, end up in the free dance!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
That was such a great RD! I think the only disappointment for me was Fear/Gibson- liked their program a lot better on TV at Finlandia, unfortunately.
I agree. Today, they seemed tentative and the whole thing lacked edge I saw at Finlandia. But it's still great vehicle for them.
The RD was overall not bad. I adore Charlene & Marco, but the amount of music cuts in their RD makes me nauseous - I wish there were 3 pieces max. They however can make it work & sell it well, great performers they are.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Is Diana that bad really? I mean there's nepotism, but I hope you gave her a chance before declaring her woeful just because of who her mother is :(
Diana is substantially worse than Gleb. On the other hand Annabelle Morozov is better than her partner, so it's not always about who your parents are. Someone has already suggested pairing up Annabelle with Gleb.

ETA: You do have to give credit to Diana for working really hard and coping despite her hearing problem.

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
But the thing is if they do street street won't it look sort of awkward? It's primarily an African-American style isn't it? And none of these skaters have that background.
While hip-hop did originate in our community, there are plenty of dancers from around the world that have mastered and contributed to the evolution of the art form, especially in Asia. Plenty of white Americans are also adept at the form, but you are right, I do not think that any of these dancers are. Hopefully, hip-hop will continue to grow in all communities, and figure skating will grow in our communities, and the next attempt at a hip-hop RD will be much better.

rain

Record Breaker
OK, Piper and Paul need to change the costumes. I get it, they are very Elton John. But they are a distraction from what is a brilliant RD. The choreographic touches and the new lift since Autumn Classic have really taken this dance up several notches. I loved it here.

rain

Record Breaker
Love, love, love and adore Smart/Diaz more every time I see this program.
I would be perfectly happy never to see Guinard/Fabri or Fear/Gibson's programs ever again. Both were boring. Guinard/Fabri have way too many music cuts.
Lajoie/Lagha have to be unhappy with their results so far this season. They are performing the hell out of this dance, but the material is just not special. And the costumes are hideous.
Piper and Paul were sheer brilliance. Their performance ability always leaves me in awe.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Gilles/Poirier - costumes are super over the top, but if I looked like that in orange polyester, I'd wear it too. Very fun and confident dance. It reminds me of the confidence the Shibs gained the season after they won their first Worlds medal.

Guignard/Fabbri - I love these two, but don't love this program. I actually think Marco skates it very well but Charlene doesn't get down into her knees enough. I hope they can improve by the Olympics.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So far of the SDs I've seen this season (admittedly only Skate America and Skate Canada), Olivia and Adrian have the best by far. But she needs to cut down on the lip syncing.