2021 Skate Canada: Rhythm Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Rhythm Dance

viennaskater

Medalist
I personally vote for the Yankee Polka. It’s been too long!
I don't like the Polka because I think it's not a very attractive dance and they have to wear stupid costumes for that.

fa6868ba5eec38f31746ada39e4e3807--ice-dance-fashion-advice.jpg

And I look forward to a more comfortable dance theme for next season - several of the music choices for this season are horrible! IMO, hip-hop does not sit well in ice dance. For an exhibition piece it's fine, but not RD.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I don't like the Polka because I think it's not a very attractive dance and they have to wear stupid costumes for that.

fa6868ba5eec38f31746ada39e4e3807--ice-dance-fashion-advice.jpg

And I look forward to a more comfortable dance theme for next season - several of the music choices for this season are horrible! IMO, hip-hop does not sit well in ice dance. For an exhibition piece it's fine, but not RD.
I don't like Polka either, too choppy. The Blues/Midnight Blues itself is quite nice, it's the non-pattern bit of the RD that is hit-or-miss this season.
Would love a waltz or tango to be next!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I don't like Polka either, too choppy. The Blues/Midnight Blues itself is quite nice, it's the non-pattern bit of the RD that is hit-or-miss this season.
Would love a waltz or tango to be next!
Now see, I like the Yankee Polka precisely because it’s kind of a different skill set, requiring the skaters (especially the gentlemen) to be light on their feet, which is a bit of a challenge for some—though it gives others a chance to shine. And we haven’t had it since 2013!

My least favorite: the waltzes. It’s so interesting to see everyone’s preferences!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Now see, I like the Yankee Polka precisely because it’s kind of a different skill set, requiring the skaters (especially the gentlemen) to be light on their feet, which is a bit of a challenge for some—though it gives others a chance to shine. And we haven’t had it since 2013!

My least favorite: the waltzes. It’s so interesting to see everyone’s preferences!
My own preference might have to do with the fact that I'm rubbish at the fast tempo dances myself 😅
In general I like dances that showcase deep edges, but even if (unlike me) you have them, you can't really show them off in the Polka. Also those side kicks look a bit silly...
There is a place for silliness in the world though, so I won't complain too much if we do have to sit through a season of polkas from time to time :)