2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott512

Record Breaker
The final of the Cup of Russia is on the first week of March, at Sochi.
Thanks. That's usually a pretty good competition but not a lot of competitors. The skaters need to skate and compete otherwise their talents will be wasted..

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It‘s always great when a prodigy fulfills their potential.

Akatieva carries herself like a champion, and beat 2 champions to take the crown. No ifs, ands, or buts in this one, she is the top dog right now.

I don’t expect Kamila to go away though, this will only push her more, and motivate her to reclaim her title.

Liza, win lose or draw, is an inspiration to everyone, young and old. Competing with people who were in diapers when she started her career. The longevity is one thing, but longevity while still competing with the best is awe inspiring stuff. Hollywood hacks could not come up with a story this good.

Samodelkina unfortunately took a step back this weekend. I do see something in her, and her potential is high, but potential is theoretical and sooner or later you need results.

Of course, a thought for Trusova, Kostornaia, Daria and Maiia who lost out because of injury. Hopefully they all come back strong very soon. Sucks having people not competing due to injury.

And although I’m a huge fan of hers and always have time to heap effusive praise on her, I had said that I was good and at peace with where Anna is in her life now, and watching the competition this weekend didn’t change my mind.

Just like I figured going in, her winning everything and winning this event 3 consecutive times (and good luck to anyone that can replicate that feat) makes closing the book easy, and makes for a soft landing. It’s an easy pill to swallow when the memories are positive and the CV is complete.

I don’t have to wonder about what might have been because I witnessed all the might have beens become reality.

I can sit back, and watch these girls do their thing now.

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few odds and ends from the championship:

-Channel One is claiming 44 million viewers watched all of their live coverage in total.

-Sofia S is also saying she was suffering from the flu and had to take a different flight from the rest of her teammates home.

-Channel One is also claiming that Trusova’s dad wanted Yagudin and Tarasova to be removed from commenting on Trusova’s skates because he feels they have been too harsh in their criticisms of her. And that Trusova won’t be doing anything for channel one if those 2 will be commenting on it.

-Eteri as coach won the event for the 8th consecutive time. Medvedeva 2 times, Zagitova, Anna 3 in a row, Kamila, Sofia.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

-Channel One is claiming 44 million viewers watched all of their live coverage in total.

-Sofia S is also saying she was suffering from the flu and had to take a different flight from the rest of her teammates home.

-Channel One is also claiming that Trusova’s dad wanted Yagudin and Tarasova to be removed from commenting on Trusova’s skates because he feels they have been too harsh in their criticisms of her. And that Trusova won’t be doing anything for channel one if those 2 will be commenting on it.

-Eteri as coach won the event for the 8th consecutive time. Medvedeva 2 times, Zagitova, Anna 3 in a row, Kamila, Sofia.
Like she won't be in competitions on Channel One or she will just do the bare minimum competitions required and skip the extra hype stuff and commercial competitions like the Channel One Cup?

Channel One is the official broadcaster for the Fed so if she's going to compete then she's going to have to interact on Channel One. Even if its just the 'hype' fluffy stuff, her sponsors can't be too thrilled with that because its going to be less exposure for their brands. Does her father really expect Channel One to get rid of some of their main commentators to appease him? How could he think this is going to end in her favor?

WOW, that's insane, and that was with some of their big names being out. US nationals leading up to the Olympics last year was less than 3 million and US figure skating in its peak days in the 90s was hitting 13 million Source.

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like she won't be in competitions on Channel One or she will just do the bare minimum competitions required and skip the extra hype stuff and commercial competitions like the Channel One Cup?

Channel One is the official broadcaster for the Fed so if she's going to compete then she's going to have to interact on Channel One. Even if its just the 'hype' fluffy stuff, her sponsors can't be too thrilled with that because its going to be less exposure for their brands. Does her father really expect Channel One to get rid of some of their main commentators to appease him? How could he think this is going to end in her favor?

WOW, that's insane, and that was with some of their big names being out. US nationals last year leading up to the Olympics last year was less than 3 million and US figure skating in its peak days in the 90s was hitting 13 million Source.
You can read more about it here:

Channel 1 seems to not have met these demands. That’s why the patch came off from the jacket. And she missed the jump contest and the championships.

Channel 1 didn’t include her in the promo videos leading up to nationals so there is some heat here.

Could it be that the absences are related to the commentating issues?
That would explain her not doing the jump contest.

I don’t think she missed Nationals on purpose though. Nobody would be that dumb to miss them for such petty reasons. Although a few people have said they don’t believe she was sick after all. I tend to think she was. Unless some persuasive evidence proving otherwise gets uncovered.

Bottom line, if you participate in a sport with judging, you need to have parents with thicker skin.

And here I thought that it would be quiet until the Channel 1 Cup in a few weeks. So much for that.

Last edited:

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I wonder if this is the truth, Tarasova hasn't even commentated lately as her health has not been great, so it seems a bit of a odd. Maybe Channel 1 are making this up?

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if this is the truth, Tarasova hasn't even commentated lately as her health has not been great, so it seems a bit of an odd. Maybe Channel 1 are making this up?
Who knows at this point.
Only thing for certain is that there is some sort of friction between the 2 groups.

Her agent is categorically denying that the ultimatum was issued.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I wonder if this is the truth, Tarasova hasn't even commentated lately as her health has not been great, so it seems a bit of a odd. Maybe Channel 1 are making this up?

Trusova's agent put out a statement that denies Channel One's version of events - the auto-translation kicks out an interesting statement: "Secondly, neither Sasha herself, nor her father, especially her mother, would ever allow, I am sure, to present the demands that were reported with enviable perseverance by carefully selected media. " ---- What's with the 'I am sure', an agent shouldn't need to say "i am sure' something didn't happen in what is a business negotiation, that should be something that they are emphatically saying neither my client or her parents made such demands, not something that reads 'based on how I know my client there's no way they would do this'

There's 3 sides to every story, both Trusova and Channel One probably has fragments of the truth but not the whole truth. If I were reading between the lines and making a guess to the truth: During contract negotiations Trusova and/or her parents wanted some type control over what was said about her and they referenced less than flattering remarks by Tarasova/Yagudin as examples of things they don't want said about her and Channel One refused so Trusova didn't renew whatever contract it is that she had with Channel One.

Article with Trusova's agent refuting Channel One

DoubleBass

Rinkside

WOW, that's insane, and that was with some of their big names being out. US nationals last year leading up to the Olympics last year was less than 3 million and US figure skating in its peak days in the 90s was hitting 13 million Source.

Trusova's agent put out a statement that denies Channel One's version of events - the auto-translation kicks out an interesting statement: "Secondly, neither Sasha herself, nor her father, especially her mother, would ever allow, I am sure, to present the demands that were reported with enviable perseverance by carefully selected media. " ---- What's with the 'I am sure', an agent shouldn't need to say "i am sure' something didn't happen in what is a business negotiation, that should be something that they are emphatically saying neither my client or her parents made such demands, not something that reads 'based on how I know my client there's no way they would do this'

There's 3 sides to every story, both Trusova and Channel One probably has fragments of the truth but not the whole truth. If I were reading between the lines and making a guess to the truth: During contract negotiations Trusova and/or her parents wanted some type control over what was said about her and they referenced less than flattering remarks by Tarasova/Yagudin as examples of things they don't want said about her and Channel One refused so Trusova didn't renew whatever contract it is that she had with Channel One.

Article with Trusova's agent refuting Channel One
Channel One's official statement regarding Trusova vs Channel 1 conflict:

"The First has always covered Alexandra Trusova's career correctly and with respect for her work and achievements, in sports broadcasts, newscasts, and special materials devoted only to Alexandra. This season however, her father Vyacheslav Trusov did make a number of demands, including the appointment of commentators and hosts for any programs featuring Alexandra, as well as criticism of her.

The channel would like to retain the right to choose their own sports commentators and experts. And they have the right to freely express their professional opinion on air. We take this opportunity to wish Alexandra a speedy recovery and look forward to her performance in tournaments next year, which, as always, we will surely show".
Translated with DeepL

brakes

On the Ice
Weirdest thing for me in all of this is the fact that new Trusova's media partner MatchTV literally express lack of interest in figure skating as "female audience is not their target". :unsure:

JimR

On the Ice
I'm just thinking out loud.

Is there anything stopping the ISU from inviting Kami to the gala event to perform? It's just an exhibition event after all.

She'd probably command a hefty appearance fee, but I think what she would do to promote the sport would pay for itself many times over.

She's created more positive publicity for skating than anyone I can remember. I think she would be the star of the gala shows at Europeans and Worlds, would sell out every last seat. Big number of clicks online.

This could be the boost the sport desperately needs.

It is ironic though. Kami goes out basically creates a viral sensation that goes worldwide transcending all cultures, and it's the one year she won't be at ISU events. They must be kicking themselves. They must cursing their bad luck.

Let's hope one of the skaters at Europeans and Worlds can create something like Kami did!

Last edited:

JimR

On the Ice
I think fame has gone to Trusova and her father's head. They think they have leverage, but in reality they have none at all. Sure, she's going to make a comfortable enough living over the coming years from shows, but as far as Channel 1 in concerned Trusova is barely a top 10 skater anymore. The Russian Nationals showed that Trusova's absence wasn't really noticed. There's just so much talent in the women's competition. Trusova without 5 quads is not particularly interesting to watch because there's no artistry at all. Probably Gorbacheva has surpassed Sasha at this point. I'd rather Channel 1 do one of their promo pieces on up and coming Gorbacheva not Trusova who will never be a top 5 skater in Russia again.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weirdest thing for me in all of this is the fact that new Trusova's media partner MatchTV literally express lack of interest in figure skating as "female audience is not their target". :unsure:
I saw that too. And I laughed out loud.
Way to promote your new hires.

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think fame has gone to Trusova and her father's head. They think they have leverage, but in reality they have none at all. Sure, she's going to make a comfortable enough living over the coming years from shows, but as far as Channel 1 in concerned Trusova is barely a top 10 skater anymore. The Russian Nationals showed that Trusova's absence wasn't really noticed. There's just so much talent in the women's competition. Trusova without 5 quads is not particularly interesting to watch because there's no artistry at all. Probably Gorbacheva has surpassed Sasha at this point. I'd rather Channel 1 do one of their promo pieces on up and coming Gorbacheva not Trusova who will never be a top 5 skater in Russia again.
Whatever the motives, as a figure skater, would you rather be promoted by Channel 1 or by Match TV? A station that doesn’t seem particularly fond of the sport to begin with.

On paper, it’s a no brainer.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm just thinking out loud.

Is there anything stopping the ISU from inviting Kami to the gala event to perform? It's just an exhibition event after all.

She'd probably command a hefty appearance fee, but I think what she would do to promote the sport would pay for itself many times over.

I'm going to tread lightly on this because the 'why' ventures into 'don't talk about it in this thread but the Speakeasy'...but no, the ISU is unlikely to invite Valieva or any other Russian to any ISU associated event until the 2 things we aren't allowed to talk about in this thread are resolved.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Whatever the motives, as a figure skater, would you rather be promoted by Channel 1 or by Match TV? A station that doesn’t seem particularly fond of the sport to begin with.

On paper, it’s a no brainer.

Well if she didn't want to resign with Channel One for whatever reason, a channel/media partner that's uninterested in your sport is better than no channel/media partner at all. And if she's thinking post-competitive career maybe it is better to align yourself with a channel that's outside of your sport, Channel One has a full house of decorated skaters to commentate and have on shows. Terry Gannon didn't have a history in figure skating, he was a basketball player, but he's a pretty decent commentator and has been doing it since the 90s, maybe she follows in those footsteps.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well if she didn't want to resign with Channel One for whatever reason, a channel/media partner that's uninterested in your sport is better than no channel/media partner at all. And if she's thinking post-competitive career maybe it is better to align yourself with a channel that's outside of your sport, Channel One has a full house of decorated skaters to commentate and have on shows. Terry Gannon didn't have a history in figure skating, he was a basketball player, but he's a pretty decent commentator and has been doing it since the 90s, maybe she follows in those footsteps.
If it works and MatchTV starts signing more skaters, it might lead to a bidding war which means more money for the skaters. That definitely wouldn’t be a bad thing.

But if match is going to half ass it or not make a big deal of it, it might not be better long term.

We will see. Maybe Trusova and her team are ahead of the curve after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.