2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Sofia Akatieva repels the attacks and confirms her dominance! :cheer2:
Oksana Bulycheva's alumni are 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2023 Russian Champions and I want it to continue.
Yeah great. Thanks for ruining the storyline with Akatieva winning. Haha

All joking aside, I didn’t know about Oksana.
But it’s not a surprise. Team Eteri is called team for a reason. You need great coaches flying under the radar to be that successful.
One woman can’t do it all.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
All joking aside, I didn’t know about Oksana.
But it’s not a surprise. Team Eteri is called team for a reason. You need great coaches flying under the radar to be that successful.
One woman can’t do it all.
Despite Oksana being the first coach of many of Team Tutberidze's most famous and successful skaters, she's not (and has never been) part of Team Tutberidze.

They were training in the same ice rinks (Sambo-70) for a long time and I'm sure that's why a lot of her students ended up being taken in by the group of Team Tutberidze, but that is no longer the case. Since they moved rinks there's been a significant decrease in movement between the two groups (Valeria Lukashova and Angelina Gracheva, for example, decided to stay with Bulycheva), so things might be changing in the future.

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Despite Oksana being the first coach of many of Team Tutberidze's most famous and successful skaters, she's not (and has never been) part of Team Tutberidze.

They were training in the same ice rinks (Sambo-70) for a long time and I'm sure that's why a lot of her students ended up being taken in by the group of Team Tutberidze, but that is no longer the case. Since they moved rinks there's been a significant decrease in movement between the two groups (Valeria Lukashova and Angelina Gracheva, for example, decided to stay with Bulycheva), so things might be changing in the future.
Thanks for the clarification.

Still, any great school has a great support staff.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

“On Wednesday, January 18, the Ice Palace will show a concert-performance dedicated to the 80th anniversary of the breakthrough of the blockade of Leningrad. The production was directed by Ilya Averbukh. The performance will be attended by Olympic champions, world and Russian figure skating champions, as well as popular Russian artists and creative teams.”

I share this because Liza is scheduled for the show and as I also mentioned in her fan fest, it’s one of the rare times to see Sofia Samadurova skate as she is also scheduled tonight.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia

“On Wednesday, January 18, the Ice Palace will show a concert-performance dedicated to the 80th anniversary of the breakthrough of the blockade of Leningrad. The production was directed by Ilya Averbukh. The performance will be attended by Olympic champions, world and Russian figure skating champions, as well as popular Russian artists and creative teams.”

I share this because Liza is scheduled for the show and as I also mentioned in her fan fest, it’s one of the rare times to see Sofia Samadurova skate as she is also scheduled tonight.
Apparently, Liza and Sonya Samodurova haven't skated. Pogorilaya and Samodelkina are only women that performed there.

PavelSky

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently, Liza and Sonya Samodurova haven't skated. Pogorilaya and Samodelkina are only women that performed there.
Looks like Liza was a late scratch and wasn’t on the final lineup sheet.

And neither was Coach Sofia. Too bad because I was definitely looking forward to seeing her skate again.

icewhite

Record Breaker
The international critics like to say all the Russian skaters are on drugs, but surely this doesn't extend to 11 year olds in a city tournament? At some point they just have to admit Russian girls are better it is that simple I think.

Drill young girls and make them as light as possible, teach them a technique that works to get points whether it's sustainable or not, don't think about whether they will be able to do competitive figure skating at 20 or what other consequences it can have on their lives, and you will, if you have a broad pool of girls get these results from some of them. It's about whether you think that is worth it, Russian or not.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Drill young girls and make them as light as possible, teach them a technique that works to get points whether it's sustainable or not, don't think about whether they will be able to do competitive figure skating at 20 or what other consequences it can have on their lives, and you will, if you have a broad pool of girls get these results from some of them. It's about whether you think that is worth it, Russian or not.
Having a broad pool doesn’t mean a thing.

India and China have a billion people plus and still can’t get 11 footballers to qualify for a major competition.

You can drill all of Russia and you still won’t produce a team of cricketers to beat India.

It’s not just about having bodies. It’s about having a culture and great coaching.

South America combined combined can’t match New Zealand in rugby. And SA has many more bodies.

As for the age component and techniques that’s a discussion for the parents and their child.

Same way in the USA, some parents won’t send their kids to play American football at 11, and some will.

Last edited:

Lurker11

On the Ice
Drill young girls and make them as light as possible, teach them a technique that works to get points whether it's sustainable or not
Teaching techniques that work to get the most points is what good coaches do in every sport. It's not so much the girls being made to be light, but it's girls with light builds who rise to the top unless some freak athlete like Valieva.

don't think about whether they will be able to do competitive figure skating at 20 or what other consequences it can have on their lives, and you will, if you have a broad pool of girls get these results from some of them. It's about whether you think that is worth it, Russian or not.
A lot of high school or college football players for instance have techniques or styles that are successful at that level, but falls apart at a professional level or not sustainable at that level. Are they victims of abusive coaches not preparing them for a long career in the pros?

What kind of coach would say I know you have the talent to win a championship now but it's better to prepare you for a hypothetical career at 23, so we're going to do something completely different but I'm sure it will pay off in 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.