2022-23 US Pairs Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ Yep, I noticed that too. The writer apparently didn't realize that Brandon and Chris are close friends (from their early days as pairs guys in Colorado). I didn't know they were close friends either until after Brandon & Alexa paired up, and an article about the Chris & Brandon friendship was written revealing their close connection. Chris had even confided in Brandon first about his feelings for Alexa. Brandon had accompanied Chris & Alexa on their first date (I guess they double-dated). The writer needed to do better research.

Definitely

Regarding Tai's quotes. Remember that how people are quoted in articles can be taken out of context. In any case, I don't think Tai's words are contradictory. She's mostly talking about younger skaters, when she says they need to stick together (and not go musical chairs chasing). Alexa & Brandon partnered at a late stage in both their careers. Because they are so compatible athletically, and they have wonderful pairs experience as well as trust in each other and prior personal interaction, they were able to come together quickly and achieve remarkable results. Thus, Tai is probably thinking that they've achieved their goals, so it's not crucial for them to come back to eligible competition. If they don't return competitively, that doesn't mean they won't continue skating together in shows.
Tai also mentioned how different things were when she and Randy were skating. They couldn’t have sponsors or make any money while competing. What they could do was turn pro and make a LOT of money and even compete on the professional circuit if they chose. Take and Randy headlined in Vegas. They skated for the Queen. Alexa and Brandon are in a totally different situation.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And after Tai saying US pairs should stay together more .she says they should retire????? 🤔

But that's not what Tai said. Here's the quote from the article:

"Babilonia, 62, said that if she were in their position she would stop competing. “If they don’t continue, I mean, look what they have to show."

I don't know what's on Tai's mind, but I can imagine that she's thinking of the difficulties and challenges of 4 years aiming for another Olympics, and she's thinking of what her choice would be. In fact, what her and Randy's choice was. As Mr. Skylark often says, listen for what people are saying about themselves, when it sounds like they're commenting on others. But she wishes K/F the best, whatever they decide.

And as for what K/F already have to show: a team Olympic silver, and they're World Champions. For every skater/team who "wants more" (Aljona Savchenko, but also Meryl and Charlie used exactly those words, after winning silver in Vancouver 2010) ... there are others who feel happy with what they've accomplished, decide to go out at their peak, and feel they've fulfilled their dreams. As Alysa Liu said so eloquently. And as Brian Johnson also said eloquently, "I feel the need to get on with life." https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb5vE7xPqZu/

“But we had a lot more options back then."

The professional skating world offered them money, fame, and the opportunity to skate for audiences. Back then, they couldn't have sponsors with amateur status, as you've pointed out before. And they'd already been to 2 Olympics. But Alexa's been to 2 Olympics, and Brandon's been skating pairs since 2002, if you count the 3 years he and Haven competed in roller skating.

It's pretty clear from this article what Jenny Meno wants K/F to do!!!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Tai also mentioned how different things were when she and Randy were skating. They couldn’t have sponsors or make any money while competing. What they could do was turn pro and make a LOT of money and even compete on the professional circuit if they chose. Take and Randy headlined in Vegas. They skated for the Queen. Alexa and Brandon are in a totally different situation.
For sure, T&R skated in a totally different era. But as @skylark pointed out, Tai was not comparing eras. She said, "If I was in their position..." Tai also makes good points when she speaks about the 'breaking-up' phenomenon. It's true that sometimes pairs skaters split up too quickly and too often. I doubt that Tai is including the Knierims or Haven/Brandon in her 'stay together' refrain, because those veteran teams actually stuck together through difficult obstacles and achieved significant careers before both pairs split for good reasons, and Alexa/Brandon came together so successfully.

Probably the most significant differences in Tai/Randy's era vs today, is that T&R did not compete at as many competitions during each season, and as noted, they were unable to make money during their competitive careers. After the Olympics happened competitive careers were generally over (sometimes by the point of a second Olympics for some skaters who may have been younger during a first outing). Skaters were expected to move on, so that they could begin to make money professionally. Additionally, the skills requirements were in an experimental developmental stage during Tai/Randy's era, which was exciting, but maybe not as demanding as today with all the tough tricks and no time to actually tell a story on the ice. The scoring system was different, obviously. Politics were probably even worse then than exists today.

Even though Tai/Randy headlined Vegas, and skated for the Queen, the actual skating shows were perhaps not as interesting and varied as they are today. There tended to be good opportunities for top champions, but not as many and varied opportunities for non-champion medalists, and other skilled skaters who didn't medal, outside of minor roles in Ice Capades, etc. Albeit that in the current era, circa the mid 2000s, professional comps are nonexistent, and shows are few and far between, especially for the majority of skaters, and there are no television specials in the vein of Carmen, and themed productions created exclusively for huge stars like Peggy Fleming, Kurt Browning, Toller Cranston, Dorothy Hamill, and Michelle Kwan, etc. For skaters today, options are generally to go to university and pursue other careers; move into coaching and/or choreographing; sign with Cirque du Soleil ice shows; or perform on cruise ships, etc. The courageously driven who are gluttons for punishment either don't retire, or they make comebacks because they love to compete (and because there are monetary rewards in eligible skating that formerly didn't exist).

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know how well Ash processes loss (for her sake I hope MUCH better than I do), but I hope she is medically cleared to continue skating, whether she chooses to do so or not. Because if not that would be a huge amount of loss for one person to take.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Additionally, the skills requirements were in an experimental developmental stage during Tai/Randy's era, which was exciting, but maybe not as demanding as today with all the tough tricks and no time to actually tell a story on the ice. The scoring system was different, obviously. Politics were probably even worse then than exists today.
And yet I prefer them to any other pairs team ever. Long live the pull Arabians.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And yet I prefer them to any other pairs team ever. Long live the pull Arabians.

I love that Tai and Randy's Pull Arabians are their signature move.

I think Ashley and Timothy's signature move is their gorgeous side by side falling leaf split jump.💕

I think Jessica and Brian's signature move is their stag lift, although I personally prefer their gorgeous twist.

Any other nominations for signature moves, US Pairs, past or present?

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love that Tai and Randy's Pull Arabians are their signature move.

I think Ashley and Timothy's signature move is their gorgeous side by side falling leaf split jump.

I think Jessica and Brian's signature move is their stag lift, although I personally prefer their gorgeous twist.

Any other nominations for signature moves, US Pairs, past or present?
Alexa and Chris's twist. Didn't Inoue and Baldwin have a quad throw, or am I losing my mind? No, it was a throw triple axel. Urbanski and Marval, who I absolutely adored (in case no one has noticed I love the underdogs) had a lift they invented. Parachute? Pendulum?

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More signature moves:

Haven and Brandon's overhead lift with his one hand supporting her thigh: Watching Haven's face, it was like she was in heaven.

Jenny Meno and Todd Sand: the stag lift with the head-banger exit.

Chelsea and Danny: The lift exit where she crossed her legs around his neck, and he did several hands-free turns. Featured in both their SP and FS, but completely different lifts, otherwise.

@moonvine :
Alexa and Chris's twist. Didn't Inoue and Baldwin have a quad throw, or am I losing my mind? No, it was a throw triple axel. Urbanski and Marval, who I absolutely adored (in case no one has noticed I love the underdogs) had a lift they invented. Parachute? Pendulum?

Do you have a video clip? I liked Urbanski/Marval, but I don't recall the move. I get a kick out of the fact that Rocky is married to Isabelle Brasseur. Don't ask me why :laugh:

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More signature moves:

Haven and Brandon's overhead lift with his one hand supporting her thigh: Watching Haven's face, it was like she was in heaven.

Jenny Meno and Todd Sand: the stag lift with the head-banger exit.

Chelsea and Danny: The lift exit where she crossed her legs around her neck, and he did several hands-free turns. Featured in both their SP and FS, but completely different lifts, otherwise.

Do you have a video clip? I liked Urbanski/Marval, but I don't recall the move. I get a kick out of the fact that Rocky is married to Isabelle Brasseur. Don't ask me why :laugh:
Try this one:

Not the best example of their skating and they were clearly unhappy with themselves. But there isn't a vast trove of Urbanski/Marval content out there.

macy

Record Breaker
i wonder what Ashley Cain's plans are. she has been posting a lot of single skating on her instagram the last few weeks.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i wonder what Ashley Cain's plans are. she has been posting a lot of single skating on her instagram the last few weeks.
I guess we'll find out when she decides to say. We wonder because we care! Timothy has been completely silent.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess we'll find out when she decides to say. We wonder because we care! Timothy has been completely silent.
I care, but I can't imagine her successfully switching to singles at this juncture. If she can, hey, more power to her! Tim aggravates me not having a social media account. Hrmph. They could at least have a Twitter. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

macy

Record Breaker
I care, but I can't imagine her successfully switching to singles at this juncture. If she can, hey, more power to her! Tim aggravates me not having a social media account. Hrmph. They could at least have a Twitter. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
i don't know if she ever would, but she would absolutely have more fed support than she ever had as a single skater and i bet she'd score higher than she previously did internationally. with some retirements coming maybe she is considering it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Try this one:

Not the best example of their skating and they were clearly unhappy with themselves. But there isn't a vast trove of Urbanski/Marval content out there.

They were "The truck driver and the waitress" right? It has been a very long time.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Timmy Chapman (along with quite a few other skaters) will be coming to St Louis next month. He appears to be skating solo. I wonder what his plans are. He is not on Ice Partner Search, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cat Rivers and Nate Rensing practicing their long, choreo by Rohene Ward:

(always love Rohene's practice vids and his commentary.:)Presuming that is their music, I don't recognize it)

Status
Not open for further replies.