Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
fhZ9gdW.png

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This was a nice event for Gabriele Frangipani. ❣️ I remember first seeing him at a B event when he came up to seniors. He was clearly talented, but it was an event in Italy, so he was putting a lot of pressure on himself, and he was falling all over the place. Skaters can have those types of unfortunate happenings. As Dick Button has said, every skater experiences such moments. It's important to take them as learning experiences. I could see Frangipani feeling disappointed then, but he also took it in stride. He was better at his next event.

So I felt as if Frangipani would be a contender here. But out-of-date stats and lack of up-to-the-minute info on how much skaters have improved in the off-season, makes predicting placements a crapshoot. 😜 Complicating my picks, I had rated Selevko better than what he showed, but maybe I'm thinking of his brother. 🤔 There were some last minute withdrawals too. In hindsight, part of the prediction game has to do with rep and which skaters are top names in the sport. Deniss V is a good pick for second, but clearly his quad and sometimes his 3-axel can be off. OTOH, Frangipani has a very solid quad and good technique on his 3-axel. In those respects, Frangipani has a tech edge over Deniss, so second is a smart prediction for Frangipani. Yet, I don't see how anyone could have predicted Frangipani first, unless out of positive fan sentiment. :cheer2:

I've noticed that the judges appear to be scoring rather conservatively this season. There's always going to be problematic judging. More often than not though, the placements tend to be accurate. Jun Hwan Cha was not at his best. Had Cha actually skated to his usual form, I believe he would have won. He's certainly used to receiving much higher scores, so he seemed perplexed in the kiss 'n cry. I thought Cha deserved his second place position in the sp, but I still thought his score deserved to be a few points higher in the sp. In the fp, seemingly Cha was dinged on at least one UR perhaps -- I haven't checked protocols yet. Of course, Cha also singled his first 3-axel in the fp (likely nervous about his sp mistake), so that would also account somewhat for his points total being lower than usual for him.

Overall, on PCS I think it's close, and I think the scores tend to reflect that. PCS scoring is never accurate anyway, so it is what it is. Sadly, Deniss never gets the full credit that he should on PCS, especially when he makes mistakes. I thought Deniss also deserved a bit higher points total in the sp (at least low 70s). But it seems the judges are really keeping scores down at the start of this season. I'm glad it worked out for Deniss in the end, landing in third. It's deserved because he has so many great qualities.

Cheers to all the skaters!

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Is Cha still with Brian Orser? Last year he did a 3Lz/3Lp combo to perfection, an element Ashley Wagner (commenting) said isn’t done often because the Loop landing has to be perfect; this year he did a 4Lp/2Lp combo in the FS that earned almost 12 points. He is phenomenal.. no question.

Last edited: