2022 JGP Czech Skate Women's Free Skate | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2022 JGP Czech Skate Women's Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Started watching with Papp, and aww, jumps weren’t there for her today. Such a terrible, terrible pity. Going to check out the rest of the skates, though I know my predictions were way off judging by the results in the prediction table.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hey, Mia Kalin did jump quads! I liked Killed Bill program the most though, however, the fall was just terrifying! Overall, wasn’t as strong event as in France imo. But grats to the winners!

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just adding my two cents of whatever (adjusted for inflation), I would not be too hard on Mia Kalin's coach. There was a 19 point increase in her highest comp total from last year to this. That is huge. Her PCS have improved a bit. Yes they were quite a bit lower than the other higher scoring skaters and do need improvement but there has been some. So he did pay attention to how she was assessed last year. Her 4t/2t got more or less the same value as her 3L/3t and the other jump combo and those four jumping passes all got positive GOE. The non-jump elements all got positive GEO at level three. She outscored both ELG and Claire Seo though the latter was of course in a different comp - but still. If Jrs had been allowed quads in the SP doubtless her score would have been a bit higher provided she was clean.

So good on her and her coach for the improvements. I look forward to her progress.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I did not know Shimada Mao was named after Asada Mao, they use different kanji so I never assumed
Are her parents ex figure skaters? Havent been keeping up with rule changes....She is 14 now...pushing 15 in a few months? Will she be eligible for next Olys? I remember seeing her at her Nats last year and being wowed....there has to be something in the water in Japan and Korea to produce such artistry and musicality..... :love2:

Oh wait...now I am feeling old...... :(
1662268963736.png

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Are her parents ex figure skaters? Havent been keeping up with rule changes....She is 14 now...pushing 15 in a few months? Will she be eligible for next Olys? I remember seeing her at her Nats last year and being wowed....there has to be something in the water in Japan and Korea to produce such artistry and musicality..... :love2:

Oh wait...now I am feeling old...... :(
View attachment 5641
Mao Shimada is 13 now and will be 14 in October. To be eligible for the next olympics figure skaters have to turn 17 before 1st July 2025. Mao will be 17 in October 2025, so the new age limits mean that Mao has to stay junior until 2026-27. Hopefully she will stay healthy and motivated for 2030! :pray:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't believe I don't know this but, is Isabeau going to remain a Junior? If not, who is the top Junior Lady in the US?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
That's exactly who I was thinking of........ :thank: :thank: :thank:

After doing some checking it looks like Mia Kalin is the #1 Junior now that Isabeau and Lindsay have moved up the the senior level.
I'd personally say it's going to be Soho Lee. She couldn't compete at Jr Nats last season (Covid), but not only does she have pretty solid jumps (including 3Lz+3T) but also gorgeous spins and high PCS potential. All in all, extremely well-rounded and capable of putting up big scores (183 and 188 so far this season). She will be competing next week at JGP Riga, so keep an eye out for her.

This was her Free at Glacier Falls earlier this season:

She scored 125 in the Free at this event, 188 in total.

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd personally say it's going to be Soho Lee. She couldn't compete at Jr Nats last season, but not only does she have pretty solid jumps (including 3Lz+3T) but also gorgeous spins and high PCS potential. All in all, extremely well-rounded and capable of putting up big scores (183 and 188 so far this season). She will be competing next week at JGP Riga, so keep an eye out for her.

This was her Free at Glacier Falls earlier this season:

She scored 125 in the Free, 188 in total.

Soho is definitely in the mix, possibly Josephine. Its exciting that there is competition among the US ladies.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Mao Shimada is 13 now and will be 14 in October. To be eligible for the next olympics figure skaters have to turn 17 before 1st July 2025. Mao will be 17 in October 2025, so the new age limits mean that Mao has to stay junior until 2026-27. Hopefully she will stay healthy and motivated for 2030! :pray:
Thanks! She is wonderful......I am only sad that I will probably not be here in 2030....but I will enjoy her and the rest of the Japanese and Koreans till then.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Exciting........:laugh2: Spell check isn't good enough anymore. I need grammar check as well.
You are not alone......I was 60 before I could spell "tomorrow"....I had no idea I had a learning disability....and a hearing one. Then one day my friend said "There is no A in tomorrow. " A great memory hook. But grammer is an issue...is a figure skater affected or effected by falling three times in a skate? Need memory hook.

I saw a movie called Harvey with James Stewart. He said, "In this world, you can succeed by either being very smart or being very pleasant."
I am not smart like Doris or Mathman...but I succeeded by being very pleasant and having a good attitude and work ethic when I had a job.

You go, mrrice

mrrice

Record Breaker
You are not alone......I was 60 before I could spell "tomorrow"....I had no idea I had a learning disability....and a hearing one. Then one day my friend said "There is no A in tomorrow. " A great memory hook. But grammer is an issue...is a figure skater affected or effected by falling three times in a skate? Need memory hook.

I saw a movie called Harvey with James Stewart. He said, "In this world, you can succeed by either being very smart or being very pleasant."
I am not smart like Doris or Mathman...but I succeeded by being very pleasant and having a good attitude and work ethic when I had a job.

You go, mrrice
This made my day. Thank You. :thank: