2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program | Page 101 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
After tonight you can only say 2 things:

-Mozalev is the new Kolyada version Olympiad 2018, You can not bet a dollar.

-And the way in which PCs are given by emotional factors is for laughing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
one of the best spinners in this event... tech panel disagrees... some judges too... Judge 2 and 4... not sure I like you...

checking who they are....

China and Japan ... OKay.
Can you actually tell us who the judges are ??? I thought they were mixed up? Numeric Judge 7 was the "BLR" judge obtained by Russia providing a skater to BLR.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
BUT ! PCS is a big joke sometimes. Nathan having highest PCS, more than Jason and Japanese is a bit joke, dont get me wrong, I love Nathan and he deserves what he gets but, PCS is smth different, that Sinnerman program and Shoma’s skating was worse than Nathan in terms of PCS ?? No way. I hope this PCS thing will change but anyways, it was a great event.
Pretty much.

I mean it is worth for something, that's for sure, but judges have been given the liberty to abuse PCS
and until the components get more defined and scrutinised plus judging becomes professional and
not volunteer/country based we're gonna keep seeing that stuff

s_parks

Record Breaker
Yup, he still has 2 students in the final group, and a very much still alive podium contender in 8th.
I sound like a broken record but the fact that Hanyu was even seriously in the gold conversation this olympics (after 2 golds) to start with just speaks volumes about how insane he is. And it's going be a long wait for another man to join the 2-OGMs club with him and Dick (to think there was a +60 yr gap between that) +Schafer.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Can you actually tell us who the judges are ??? I thought they were mixed up? Numeric Judge 7 was the "BLR" judge obtained by Russia providing a skater to BLR.
the panel of judges is on the ISU site. They are usually listed in the correct order, which can be seen on the protocols. At least, that's what I understood. If I am wrong, I apologize for not naming the judges properly :)

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I just don’t get people having issues with Nathan’s PCS. Perhaps it’s not as good as Hanyu and Brown but I don’t see how you can watch him and not see a connection. He floats across the ice. His programs are full of difficult steps and turns between the elements. His StSq was pure magic to me. The way he uses his arms and facial expressions to accent the music. Just so expressive and beautiful.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He could have worked on his quad lutz instead.. he has landed them before....
In Yuzu's defence the Quad Lutz is what caused him such awful ankle injuries. So I can understand why he wouldn't. The Axel is his best jump, it's possible he can do that 4A.

He also has two Olympic gold medals, won back to back, only Dick Button has managed that, so that's probably not his motivation here.

Although it is sad to think he and Brian had a falling out :( they are/were a really good team.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I sound like a broken record but the fact that Hanyu was even seriously in the gold conversation this olympics (after 2 golds) to start with just speaks volumes about how insane he is. And it's going be a long wait for another man to join the 2-OGMs club with him and Dick (to think there was a +60 yr gap between that) +Schafer.

Hanyu is amazing. He definitely had a shot at a 3rd title here (if Nathan gave a few points away).
I hope tomorrow he gives his best Olympic FS ever, it's achievable.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nathan is a wonderful performer. He feels the music and connects with it. His posture is stellar. His extension is good. His movements are precise as well. He deserves high PCS. His program is also very nicely put together and well presented. The real issue is not that PCS scoring is wrong. The issue is that there is no longer a 50-50 ratio between TES and PCS so it advantages people with higher BV no matter how well some skaters present their programs.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Don't forget that Nathan came back and won the fp in 2018, redeeming his Olympic experience, despite the amazing 6 quad fp not giving him a podium spot. Plus, he has a 2018 team bronze.

BTW, Nathan has always been artistic. He hears, understand and interprets the music, on top of his blazing technical talent. Some people don't like giving Nathan credit for the fact that he's always combined superb artistry with superior athleticism. 💫
Yes. I agree. I think Nathan generally deserves the PCS he gets - although I still would have had him behind Jason tonight. Nathan has his own style and it is not classic figure skater. But - he hears and seems to feel the music. He certainly skates with passion.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Brown of course. 2nd best PCS. I know, TES should not affect PCS, but it always does and right now it rubs me the wrong way. That program isn't that special. And the performance wasn't so very great today.

I think his transitions are phenomenal. People underestimate the athletic ability it takes to do those things. The straight up ChSq1 in the short. His performance on Olympic ice was just as magical as any other one for me.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I just don’t get people having issues with Nathan’s PCS. Perhaps it’s not as good as Hanyu and Brown but I don’t see how you can watch him and not see a connection. He floats across the ice. His programs are full of difficult steps and turns between the elements. His StSq was pure magic to me. The way he uses his arms and facial expressions to accent the music. Just so expressive and beautiful.

Chen has great PCS and I especially liked his Caravan program because he really performed it,
but he just doesn't have the posture or movent quality of Kolyada, Hanyu, Uno or Brown,
and for the most part his performance ability consists mostly of kinda going wild and throwing his body around :jump:.
Not everyone can pull that kind of quality off and it takes a lot of work, and that is not being reflected
in the scoring so I get people getting disheartened over it, but it has been consistent in the sport
that reigning World Champions get PCS that are worthy of the stature.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yup. But about a 5.7 on technical.

My 6.0 scorecard of the top 10:

Chen - 6.0/5.9
Kagiyama - 5.9/5.8
Uno - 5.8/5.9
Brown - 5.7/6.0
Cha - 5.8/5.8
Hanyu - 5.7/5.9
Aymoz - 5.7/5.8
Kvitelashvili - 5.7/5.7
Semenenko - 5.7/5.6
Messing - 5.6/5.7
I believe a popped jump in 6.0 era would not have scored 5.7.. just saying.. there was a huge mandatory deduction on the required elements... he also didn't have his best axel out there and one spin was tight as you have pointed out... that's 1 major mistake and two very small mistakes on required elements. I also believe that hanyu would still not have made top 6 in 6.0. Too many cleaner programs. If you penalize Messing for the sloppy steps which was also a required element, you need to penalize hanyu for a missed element way more, as well as perhaps even Aymoz for a much lower level triple... Anyways... not really interested in debating that obsolete scoring system but as an old guy... though i don't have your expertise, I see it very differently... :ot:

Last edited:

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
I dislike Nathan's drunk college fratboy end of program freakouts, but ok, he should be Olympic champion.
He's been the strongest for a long time and I hope it's him in the end, I don't care anymore if the FS is not exciting :biggrin:
Omg that’s exactly it. I think he might be going for old school Rat Pack, but drunk college fratboy is perfect, lol.

ks777

Record Breaker
In Yuzu's defence the Quad Lutz is what caused him such awful ankle injuries. So I can understand why he wouldn't. The Axel is his best jump, it's possible he can do that 4A.

He also has two Olympic gold medals, won back to back, only Dick Button has managed that, so that's probably not his motivation here.

Although it is sad to think he and Brian had a falling out :( they are/were a really good team.
lol what makes you think he can do the 4axel when he can't even fully rotate the jump in practice?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I personally would have an issue with a skater coming back from a major injury yet trying that jump which may cause even more harm... at some point, I would understand why a mentor feeling his caring advice not being followed, one that can be very dangerous for the health of the athlete, may want to step back a bit.
I know how you feel. I feel that way but its not me out there on the ice risking my petute.