2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Men's Free Skate | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Men's Free Skate

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Nathan did his job wonderfully well. It's not his fault Vincent and Karen did not.

And Yuma was always Nathan's biggest rival for the gold if Yuzu wants to continue trying that 4A
What? Phenom # gazillion shows up for Japan and everyone suddenly forgets about Shoma!? All three Japanese guys ain't gonna be on the podium with Nathan, unless something wildly unexpected happens. LOL!

Yuma is young. Let youngster phenom grow up please, and battle it out with missing phenom, Ilia Malinin, in the future.

Oh and yes, someone was mentioning how they think Kagiyama is the greatest jumper. He's just one of many, honestly. The jumps look spectacular on him because of his soft knees and how fast he gets around that he's almost a blur in the air. Ilia Malinin has gorgeous jumps too. Both of these young guys have jumps that complement their body builds!

OTOH, Hanyu and Javi had these rare suspended in-the-air quads which were mind-blowing. Kolyada has classic, gorgeous jump technique too, despite his nerve-induced inconsistencies. Nathan has perfect, rare, textbook air position, but unspectacular landings. Nathan is just usually always on point with his blade positions on landings, because he has great jump technique that again, works beautifully for his body build. Nathan doesn't have those soft, soft knees though that so many Japanese skaters have. The soft knees are a Japanese, to-die-for trademark. ❤️

Last edited:

eterialskating

On the Ice
Yeah, I don't care. I would have preferred seeing Jason. Actually, Mark was over-scored. Jason at his most exquisite best has scored very high on the strength of his exquisite artistic abilities and superb polish. He does what no one else has done before or since. He could have blown Kondriatiuk's gutty but non-polished performance out of the water. Jason has reached the top of the podiium over quad guys, ya know.

In any case, as I said earlier, the damage was done at U.S. Nat'ls when the quad-obsessed selection committee and judging panel decided to give Vincent extra points to place third over Jason, after Vincent's dismal showing in the fp. Send Ilia, Nathan, and Jason. We might have enjoyed a better evening of figure skating here had Ilia performed after Kagiyama. But we never really know, until it happens. Anyway, that would have been my preference.

I hope Jason skates his best ever in the individual events here, all you quad-obsessed fans who enjoy dissing Jason.
I could accept the delusions and wishful thinking from Jason Brown's ardent fans but where does this arrogance come from. Which results and medals can backup for his fans to write garbage like this. Even Zhou's FS failure is considered Jason's ceiling. What would change swapping an uncompetitive and zero accomplishment skater to do this segment.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ilia and Alisa should have been on the team. Young, fresh, ambitious. The older you get, the more pressure you feel and become insecure.
I think USA messed up picking Olympians in the first place by turning a blind eye on under rotations at Nationals and giving poor goe and PCs to those who are the future and could have potentially scored higher both Vincent and Karen.
The thing is, Alysa is young and her father messed up by switching out coaches she had improved under and had great rapport with. He just shouldn't have done that to her. She seemed to become very distracted afterwards. She simply hasn't had time to form any connection with her current coaches. I think her consistency and training has suffered as a result. Training with Jeremy and Massimo probably was a lot of fun for Alysa. Her father was quite wrong in mishandling that situation. Allow her to grow and to breathe. Too many coaching changes for a young skater in such a short period of time.

Alysa wasn't necessarily going to score higher than Karen. Alysa might have been able to place third in the sp, but so should Karen have been able to place third in the sp. Ilia could have bested Kagiyama with a perfect skate, or most certainly come in second ahead of Mark K. But so should Vincent have been able to do the exact same with a great performance. Though I think such a battle between Ilia Malinin and Yuma Kagiyama would have been such a magical spark for the team event, foreshadowing future battles in men's figure skating, hopefully. But oh well, it didn't happen on this Olympics stage.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I could accept the delusions and wishful thinking from Jason Brown's ardent fans but where does this arrogance come from. Which results and medals can backup for his fans to write garbage like this. Even Zhou's FS failure is considered Jason's ceiling. What would change swapping an uncompetitive and zero accomplishment skater to do this segment.
Don't put words in my mouth please. You are welcome to your own delusions and arrogance, btw. As well as to your erroneous characterization of Jason's rare abilities. Maybe you have no accomplishments in figure skating. Jason Brown most certainly does, and then some!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL so pathetic. As much as I love watching Jason and his program all those crazy Jason fans should realise that his program is not competitive at all without quads and he even bombs his triples at times. In terms of presentation and skating skills he’s certainly not the level of yuzuru hanyu and not even shoma uno. So I don’t get why he is ‘robbed’ by Vincent/USFS/etc. If anything it’s him who robbed Ilya for the future. Thanks.

all those crazy Jason fans. That’s quite a broad brush. You mean like me:laugh:

so I’ll say it again, for the people in the back:

1. Ilia was not robbed. Jason, and Vincent for that matter, earned their spots fair and square, in accordance with the criteria set forth by USFS.

2. Little old “non competitive” :sleep:Jason has won medals every year in the GP circuit since 2013 and won silver at 2020 4CC. You know, where Yuma won bronze.

3. will Jason win an individual Olympic medal? No. In all likelihood, based on what we know so far, neither will any skater not named Nathan, Yuzu, Shoma or Yuma. Are all those other skaters “non competitive” as well? Because Jason has outscored each and every one of the other ones at least once in head to head competition.

4. Jason fans (again, the broad brush. Which fans? When?) don’t need to realize anything, at least speaking for this one and the others I know. We know Jason’s attributes, good and bad. We know just how competetive he is and how, like the dedicated athlete he is, he maximizes points where he can and pushes the sport forward in his own way, where he can.

Now all skaters, including the men we saw skate tonight, are dedicated athletes. I’m not denigrating what they do. Speaking for me, I have some I like better, as does every fan. But I respect them all :cheer:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Don't put words in my mouth please. You are welcome to your own delusions and arrogance, btw. As well as to your erroneous characterization of Jason's rare abilities. Maybe you have no accomplishments in figure skating. Jason Brown most certainly does, and then some!

It is really odd to me that you advocate so hard for Jason but opine that Malinin could have beaten Kagiyama of all people today. The last minute or so of his FS at nationals was not well done in terms of every element other than jumps. He would have been annihilated by Kagiyama’s perfect jump landings, fantastic speed and flow, fast spins, polished step and choreo sequences and advancing grace and presence on the ice. Even Mark is still able to spin and complete a step sequence 3 min in.

I mean it’s very clear Malinin’s supporters close their eyes during everything that is not jumping. I just thought a Brown fan would have more of an understanding of such elements.

reneerose

Final Flight
Yeah, def saw that coming. Vincent gets called all the time for UR’s but that popped Flip didn’t help. ROC can safely afford to put Davis in to protect Nikita’s back and still win gold at this point. I would SCREAM though, and honestly it would be smart, if ROC puts Tarasova/Morozov in instead. This way, it protects Mishina and Galliamov from losing twice to Sui and Han, ROC still has the gold, and Eteri still gets her 40 percent cut from winnings for another gold medalist. It depends on what Russia values more, their chances at a gold in Pairs, or “gold” (silver) in Ice Dance.
Does Eteri really get a 40 percent cut? Wow...

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I think deluded, in denial and obnoxious are perfect descriptions for his fanbase that still think this past it and stagnant skater could still accomplish anything noteworthy.
I think deluded, in denial and obnoxious are perfect descriptions for his fanbase that still think this past it and stagnant skater could still accomplish anything noteworthy.

Stagnant? Pretty sure Brown landed a quad finally in competition last fall.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My heart goes out to Roman. He was devastated in the kiss and cry but his team mates wrapped their arms around him in a very Canadian way of support. I'm sure it was just nerves that got to him and pressure as he had to step in for Keegan last minute. I'm looking forward to seeing him skate in the individual programs. Also thanks Madeline for your wonderful short program and bringing the team up to 4th. Go team Canada.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, I don't intend to trade personal insults with you. Jason Brown's career so far speaks for itself. Many skaters may flash quads without the ability to skate consistently well under pressure, much less with proper blade skills, much less with the ability to achieve the brilliance and rare, well-rounded skating that Jason possesses. At his best, Jason skates with great extension, subtle nuances, gorgeous spins, musicality and engaging storytelling. Jason always gives his heart and soul to audiences. Jason's fanbase is every discerning and appreciative human being, whether or not they are a skating fan.

Your dislike of Jason and his skating fanbase is your problem. Live with your problem, and leave the rest of us who enjoy Jason to our bliss. Jason Brown will be missed in more ways than one, whenever he decides to retire. Continue on with your disrespect. It does nothing but fall back on your pitiful knowledge of what figure skating is truly all about. I'm sure you have no knowledge or appreciation for the sport's history either, which is usually par for the course for some 'five minutes ago,' quad-obsessed fans who think they know everything.

alexaa

Final Flight
Listen, if you are a figure skater and you say you are proud to represent our country and you are selected for the Olympic team you go and do your job and do what’s best for the team. So if Nathan wanted to skip the free skate to rest for the individual event then shame on him. I think at this point Mariah will need to skate the free skate to save the silver medal. I think pairs stays the same abs hubbell and Donahue stay the same for pairs and ice dance free. Karen can’t get it done. Mariah could get 2nd behind Russia and save the silver medal. Japan is not going to catch up to us in ice dance or pairs so we need a solid 2nd or third in ladies.
Mariah is unlikely going to beat Kaori.
nathan is not responsible for Vincent’s or Karen’s performance. It is USFS’s decision not select Ilia or Mariah, not Nathan.

Nathan represented his country well. He earned 10 for his country, and he is fighting for another gold for his country. Since when individual gold doesn’t count for a country’s medal count?

Lastly, Nathan said in interviews after the SP he wouldn’t mind doing FS. But there are many factors for USFS’s decision. Why is shame is on him when 1) USFS made the OG team selection and TE selection 2). He already did his part By delivering a 10? Why didn’t he deserve any rest when the Americans in this thread clearly stated “it is about skating, It's not world domination. It is the skaters. It is the heart wants what the heart wants“.

Last edited:

discode

Final Flight
What? Phenom # gazillion shows up for Japan and everyone suddenly forgets about Shoma!? All three Japanese guys ain't gonna be on the podium with Nathan, unless something wildly unexpected happens. LOL!

Yuma is young. Let youngster phenom grow up please, and battle it out with missing phenom, Ilia Malinin, in the future.
I LOVE Shoma but I don't have a lot of faith he can do a clean FS. Though Shoma did beat Yuma at nationals and that 4lo is still a risky element for Yuma. I think Shoma can outscore Yuma in the SP though, but Yuma is pretty much the now too? He's the world silver medalist who beat both Yuzu and Shoma.

skaket023

Rinkside
Yes, poor Roman! He really needs some help with his mental game. However, I'm really hoping it's not a boot issue. I watched it twice and a lot of disaster happened on the same leg.

Maybe the team event was a good thing for him to shake out the nerves! Let's hope.

I think we saw this coming with Vincent. He peaked at the wrong moment. That being said, I find that long program boring as hell...and I saw it live at...either US Classic or Cranberry Cup, I can't remember, and he was perfect then. I love the Vincent Short program though.

Mark was completely over scored. His jumps are not smooth with great flow and his skating skills are still developing. There's no way his GOE should be that high.

I wonder why they went with Karen over Mariah? I mean, shouldn't the reigning US Champion skate the Team Event? I consider them both equal in ability. Some people consider Karen more GOE garnering, but I always thought that would be cancelled out by under rotations. Oh well, feel bad for her.

Honestly, I never expected us to keep that first place. Did anybody else?

Last edited:

yctomi

Rinkside
all those crazy Jason fans. That’s quite a broad brush. You mean like me:laugh:

so I’ll say it again, for the people in the back:

1. Ilia was not robbed. Jason, and Vincent for that matter, earned their spots fair and square, in accordance with the criteria set forth by USFS.

2. Little old “non competitive” :sleep:Jason has won medals every year in the GP circuit since 2013 and won silver at 2020 4CC. You know, where Yuma won bronze.

3. will Jason win an individual Olympic medal? No. In all likelihood, based on what we know so far, neither will any skater not named Nathan, Yuzu, Shoma or Yuma. Are all those other skaters “non competitive” as well? Because Jason has outscored each and every one of the other ones at least once in head to head competition.

4. Jason fans (again, the broad brush. Which fans? When?) don’t need to realize anything, at least speaking for this one and the others I know. We know Jason’s attributes, good and bad. We know just how competetive he is and how, like the dedicated athlete he is, he maximizes points where he can and pushes the sport forward in his own way, where he can.

Now all skaters, including the men we saw skate tonight, are dedicated athletes. I’m not denigrating what they do. Speaking for me, I have some I like better, as does every fan. But I respect them all :cheer:
If you read that person's post you would know what I'm talking about. I am only targeting those delusional fans who do not know his maximum and insult Vincent constantly which annoys me.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I LOVE Shoma but I don't have a lot of faith he can do a clean FS. Though Shoma did beat Yuma at nationals and that 4lo is still a risky element for Yuma. I think Shoma can outscore Yuma in the SP though, but Yuma is pretty much the now too? He's the world silver medalist who beat both Yuzu and Shoma.
Well, it's not like Shoma has never performed a clean free skate. The same could be said for Yuma too. Yuma was not perfect in the fp at 2021 Worlds, despite winning the silver medal. Even Hanyu has had hiccoughs in free skates, especially earlier in his career when he suffered from endurance issues due to his asthma. Under Stephane Lambiel, Shoma has blossomed again and grown in confidence, and improved his technique and polished his skating even further, with greater elegance and attention to detail. Shoma is more motivated, and I believe that by Shoma training in Stephane's camp, it has been a double benefit in helping Deniss Vasiljevs to improve his skating prowess.

The thing I notice about Yuma K, is that he seems more outgoing and happy-go-lucky than Shoma, who seems to have a shyer, more internalized personality. It's lovely that Shoma hit it off so well with Stephane, who is a lovely, sweet person and a wonderful creative fs artist and coach.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ross Miner would have likely skated the Olympics just like every other international competition his whole career. What a mess that would have been.
You don't know that. It's just your opinion. Skating observers can not accurately predict what skaters are going to do on the ice from event-to-event. It's so dismissive of you to say that, but again par for the course. Plus, you are giving Ross's entire career short shrift, which is short-sighted, but predictable for fans who haven't followed the careers of a particular skater that they think has no accomplishments. Ross came up at a time when quads were not considered the must-have element that it has become ever since Patrick Chan in 2011.

Ross, and many skaters of his generation did well to adapt and adjust on the fly in trying to incorporate quads, when previously they were highly proficient at all the triples and skated consistently clean programs. Such skaters had to change and adapt right at the early to mid-point of their senior careers, which was very difficult. They had not been raised on training and practicing quads. The fact that Ross made as good a transition as he did, and that he managed to win international and national medals in the process, does not add up to his career being the 'mess,' you dismissively and erroneously describe it to be.

Don't tell me that you are one of the quad-obsessed fans who believe that skaters who don't/ didn't routinely perform consistent quads need to hang their heads in shame. That kind of attitude is so blind. It just ignores the sport's entire history, which of course is the way many people in the sport view things -- with no sense of history. That includes the terribly incompetent ISU honchos, who so badly mismanage the sport, in part because they allow speedskating to feed off of the revenue generated by the sport of figure skating.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Mark -169 cm
Roman - 184 cm
Yeah, I've followed Roman since his junior days. I have a lot of respect for both Mark and for Roman. Although, I prefer watching Roman's exquisite skating with his lovely wingspan and flowing, elegant ice coverage. But indeed, Roman can still learn something from seeing and taking pointers from what Mark was able to achieve in the team event, in Kolyada's unanticipated absence.

I'm sure Roman's teammates will continue to be supportive of him. It remains to be seen how the federation might respond. In any case, hopefully Roman can take some solace in knowing that Nathan Chen stumbled badly in the team event in 2018, and even in the sp in the individual event. Yet, he came out fighting when all the chips were down, in the fp. Nathan won the fp and landed in 5th place after being 17th in the sp. Of course, Roman doesn't have Nathan's quad firepower, but Roman can still surely be inspired to shake off the cobwebs and remind himself that this is just another competition in reality. I hope Roman can find his footing and gain centered focus, and try to simply enjoy skating for skating's sake, in the individual event.

Last edited: