2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Men's Free Skate | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Men's Free Skate

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well done, Mark! That was more than I expected. He's in great shape and gives hope for the single event!
Yes, well done. Mark was also helped politically too. If Kolyada had been able to participate at these Olympics in good health, both physically and emotionally, no matter how well Mark skated in the team event or in the individual event, he would not have been given as high GOE and PCS as he received from the judges.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If the Japanese Pairs team was placed higher than the American team like they deserved to be, they would have been one point away from the silver medal 😒😡
LOL. I agree with most of your summary, except for this part. We all aren't going to agree. Clearly, you are speaking out of love and due to strongly rooting for this fun, entertaining Japanese pair. They were not perfect, especially not in the twist dismount where Miura came down on Kihara's shoulder. They didn't get badly penalized either, but they rightly didn't receive as high GOE on that element, despite receiving higher PCS by percentage points in every category vs K/F (which tells me that should both teams skate clean, the judges might be willing to give M/K the edge in the fp). We shall see what happens. Anyway, M/K's problem on the twist dismount was noticed by the tech panel. Otherwise, IMO, K/F and M/K are fairly evenly matched (but with K/F having more veteran pairs experience with previous partners).

Both American teams were ahead of M/K at 2021 Worlds, so part of M/K rising so precipitously in the scoring has to do not only with their improved and improving skills, but it also has to do with their popularity and the resultant excitement surrounding Japan finally having a viable. competitive pairs team.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
but opine that Malinin could have beaten Kagiyama of all people today.
Your above comment is a reflection apparently of your misreading or misinterpretation. I never said that Malinin would necessarily place ahead of Kagiyama here, which doesn't mean Ilia couldn't have equaled or bettered Kagiyama's performance.

What I said is that it would have been an exciting battle to witness, especially at the Olympic games, which carries such a huge audience and spotlight. NBC certainly would have loved such back-to-back performances! It certainly would have been more exciting than what we did end up seeing from Vincent, on this particular occasion.

Obviously, it's not always a given what skaters will be able to do on any given occasion. But Malinin clearly has a very equal phenomenal talent that is comparable to Kagiyama's precocious abilities.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
No surprise for me that Yuma stole the show :clap: For 18 I find his artistry pretty good. He's not just a jumping machine by any means. Looking forward to see him in the individual event.

edit: I'm not a fan of Vincent, but even with US in first here, I think the gold would go to Russia, so I wouldn't put the blame on him.

Mark gave everything and I think scores are fair. There was such relief on his face after the program, I wouldn't like to feel the pressure he must have felt. I would say he did his job better than Kolyada would have done, although I prefer Mikhail's skating for now.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For those calling a lack of artistry from Yuma, where else would you have seen it tonight? Yuma was skating with flow, speed, power, precision of the blade, nice body position. Artistry can be expressed in many ways : there are people who reach out to the audience and skate with passion and musical commitment. I would put Shoma in that category. He is musically exceptional. Yuma's artistry would be expressed, in my opinion, in a care for detail. There is a lot of care and skill in his skating. Yuma's program catered to his strengths. Speed. Flow. Power. Precision. Yuma has exceptional blade technique. Watch his feet. I believe he will be an all-around skater like some of the greats we have had in the last two decades. He also has time on his side.

Last edited:

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
For those calling a lack of artistry from Yuma, where else would you have seen it tonight? Yuma was skating with flow, speed, power, precision of the blade, nice body position. Artistry can be expressed in many ways : there are people who reach out to the audience and skate with passion and musical commitment. I would put Shoma in that category. He is musically exceptional. Yuma's artistry would be expressed, in my opinion, in a care for detail. There is a lot of care and skill in his skating. Yuma's program catered to his strengths. Speed. Flow. Power. Precision. Yuma has exceptional blade technique. Watch his feet. I believe he will be an all-around skater like some of the greats we have had in the last two decades. He also has time on his side.
Maybe people need him to pull really exaggerated faces for artistry 🤣

I'm normally a jump jump jump girl but even I was mesmerized by some of Yuma's general skating. It was very smooth and flowy and looked complicated but flowy.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Maybe people need him to pull really exaggerated faces for artistry 🤣

I'm normally a jump jump jump girl but even I was mesmerized by some of Yuma's general skating. It was very smooth and flowy and looked complicated but flowy.
Not everyone can facial express their way into high PCS... and I am grateful for that. Patrick Chan certainly did not earn his PCS with his facial expression... :) I wish people looked more at what really happens on the ice.

Zora

On the Ice
I thought Yuma's music choice was a bit lame, but apart from that he is very pleasant to watch. Unlike the other four skaters, I thought they were all artistically bland. I feel as if I've seen Vincent's program a million times now, the middle part of his music is really aggravating my nerves at this point, Mark's music is actually interesting, but he just can't sell it and the other two were a mess. I don't care about quads, if you don't have a good basic program.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Vincent did alright. It's clear he fought to get his reputation back after Worlds and had a good summer and autumn. He's already peaked this season. It could have been so much worse. In a way, I'm glad Jason was not chosen for team event--even though he would have scored above 170 most likely in the shape he's in atm. But the hate and silliness is too much from some FS fans. Why not Jason, why not Ilia, why not this, why not that... USFSF chose as wisely as they could and they will earn a medal while not burning-out Nathan...

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yes, well done. Mark was also helped politically too. If Kolyada had been able to participate at these Olympics in good health, both physically and emotionally, no matter how well Mark skated in the team event or in the individual event, he would not have been given as high GOE and PCS as he received from the judges.
I think Mark would have still gone for the team. Kolyada is a gorgeous beautiful skater maybe the most beautiful in the world but he is inconsistent. Use him in the individual

Jason has never score higher than what Mark did. They would have been better if letting Ilia jump his way to high results.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well, I don't intend to trade personal insults with you. Jason Brown's career so far speaks for itself. Many skaters may flash quads without the ability to skate consistently well under pressure, much less with proper blade skills, much less with the ability to achieve the brilliance and rare, well-rounded skating that Jason possesses. At his best, Jason skates with great extension, subtle nuances, gorgeous spins, musicality and engaging storytelling. Jason always gives his heart and soul to audiences. Jason's fanbase is every discerning and appreciative human being, whether or not they are a skating fan.

Your dislike of Jason and his skating fanbase is your problem. Live with your problem, and leave the rest of us who enjoy Jason to our bliss. Jason Brown will be missed in more ways than one, whenever he decides to retire. Continue on with your disrespect. It does nothing but fall back on your pitiful knowledge of what figure skating is truly all about. I'm sure you have no knowledge or appreciation for the sport's history either, which is usually par for the course for some 'five minutes ago,' quad-obsessed fans who think they know everything.
I am sorry but one of the reasons the men are inconsistent is that they are doing quads. Their content is harder.

Jason is a beautiful skater but at Nationals he was the one who fell not Ilia.

There are enough men in the world right now who are good skaters and have quads that Jason is not going to be even top five.

Even Mark who is not a beautiful skater is
Well fun to watch. His free program is trending on Twitter. Quads and fun presentation.

It made no sense not to take Ilia. What Ilia. pulled technically at Nationals only one or two men have ever done.

His PCs would rise quickly.

The US needs to start rewarding the skaters who can compete technically.

I mean their national champion in ladies cannot land a 3/3.

Compete with the Russians? Technically the US ladies here apart from maybe Alyssa are behind the Georgians, Canadians, Koreans, Polish. Let alone the Russians and Japanese.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I loved watching USA throw away 3 points here. Totally real and legitimate competition this Team Event is, it's just normal in an Olympic sport or any endeavor in life that you field a weaker competitor onto the team for no reason at the most crucial time.

Olympic

On the Ice
After watching yesterday (and re-watching Vincent this AM), I don't think Vincent's performance was that bad. He popped the 4F and had a couple of URs, which he is always going to get in intl. competitions. He was never going to beat Yuma, who honestly is setting himself up to be a serious challenge to Yuzu and leaving Nathan without much wiggle room. But, that pop cost him 2nd against Mark Kondratiuk, when team USA desperately needed Vincent's best.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh we all knew Chen should skate this for the best shot at gold. Same with Liu. But Russia was slated to win this from the jump and burning out their individual gold medal shot is asinine.

Important to consider. After hearing Yuma’s score that would have put a TON of pressure on Chen. And if Chen lost to Yuma it would have been a REALLY bad things. Chen’s FS scores internationally this season are all lower than what Yuma just got.
Scores always increase as the season goes on. Nathan skated both his international free programs at the first 2 Grand Prix events of the season in late October and the first weekend in November and neither were his absolute best, so it makes perfect sense that an immaculate personal best program by Yuma in February would smash Nathan’s imperfect early season skates.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, I will never understand why Malinin wasn't chosen for the Olympics. He would have been a medal contender!!
I give total props to Ilia Malinin for his technical prowess, but I really want to see him work on all components of his PCS before he becomes an Olympic medalist. His technical elements for sure are Senior level, but his second mark is still very much in the junior level. I am really excited to see how well he can do at the World Championships this season!