2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Watching pairs now.

Nic is such a pairs guy :) Emma is projecting a lot more than when I saw them at CQé !!! Bravo ! Good, solid skate !

Caidence and Raine. Solid. They need to refine all their elements to get better GOE.

(non-Canadian content... but somehow related... i am less upset to miss RR since they don't seem to be on top of their game.... harsh falls... and I don't like their music... no need to have a singer spoil Moonlight Sonata... they could have just used the piano version).

Deanna and Max : wow that twist!!! WOW that lift position. The SBS was good but was sharper at CQé... the throw of course, Deanna wanted that one !!!! So good ! So happy. This has already improved a lot in just a few weeks!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The ISU TES Stats page counts IceChallenge 2022 as counting for the TES minimums for 2023-24. It lists the event with the highest TES was achieved. Gabby has the SP minimum, but no longer has the LP.

Roman withdrew from Finlandia, I'm not surprised about that.

On the subject of Canadian men and injuries, Corey posted landing his 4T after fracturing his leg in three places near the end of last season.
liking this post for the TES minimums...

liking this because I prefer Roman heals fully before competing.
liking this because Corey is better.

but definiltely not liking this because of all these injuries for our men.

Heather T

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Watching pairs now.

Nic is such a pairs guy :) Emma is projecting a lot more than when I saw them at CQé !!! Bravo ! Good, solid skate !

Caidence and Raine. Solid. They need to refine all their elements to get better GOE.

(non-Canadian content... but somehow related... i am less upset to miss RR since they don't seem to be on top of their game.... harsh falls... and I don't like their music... no need to have a singer spoil Moonlight Sonata... they could have just used the piano version).

Deanna and Max : wow that twist!!! WOW that lift position. The SBS was good but was sharper at CQé... the throw of course, Deanna wanted that one !!!! So good ! So happy. This has already improved a lot in just a few weeks!
I saw RR skate their short on Monday. It was flawless. I couldn’t believe what I saw yesterday for their short.

Sackie

Medalist
With the way Gogolev and Chiu skater in the short at ACI, the men's event at Nationals this year is going to be a blood bath. Also think that Gogolev would have been scored higher had he shown more consistency last season. That sure seemed like a 90+ program to me.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Emmanuelle and Nicolas. What a joy to watch them. Those SBS spins! Such a beautiful couple. I liked Caidence and Raine as well, I had never seen them before. Liked Emmanuelle and Nicolas better though (but it could partly be because I've seen them before).

And..if Deanna and Maxime skate like this at the beginning of the season what will they do when it's time for the WC? Wow!

Last edited:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Even if they didn't get the TES scores, I hope that Skate Canada sees how thrilled Kaiya and Justine were to be winning medals at a Challenger and sharing a podium with Kaori. That has to boost their confidence, along with their reputation internationally. I really hope that Skate Canada makes use of King's Cup for the singles skaters, junior and senior.

And now there are 6 pair teams with the worlds TES, and only one woman. I hope that they're not crossing their fingers that Kaiya and Sara-Maude will get their minimums without making use of any other assignments other than a pre-GP Challenger, SCI and possibly 4CC.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Even if they didn't get the TES scores, I hope that Skate Canada sees how thrilled Kaiya and Justine were to be winning medals at a Challenger and sharing a podium with Kaori. That has to boost their confidence, along with their reputation internationally. I really hope that Skate Canada makes use of King's Cup for the singles skaters, junior and senior.

And now there are 6 pair teams with the worlds TES, and only one woman. I hope that they're not crossing their fingers that Kaiya and Sara-Maude will get their minimums without making use of any other assignments other than a pre-GP Challenger, SCI and possibly 4CC.
This 💯

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Also, it was cute to see Jesse Earl Celestino as a flower boy ! May this inspire him on his upcoming JGP assigmnent.

Sackie

Medalist
With the way Canadian Skaters are showing up and performing at ACI I wonder if Skate Canada is now sorry they didn't send more skaters. And it must be a big boost for Kaiya and Justine to now realise when they skate well they can win medals, and in fact they were only a few points off the tech score of the world champ in the free. Let's hope that they both get more chances to get out there and impress this season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Exactly. I wish Skate Canada didn't wait for great results to send skaters out but took a chance on them once in a while. Opportunities don't come so often, not using spots is ridiculous. ACI, as a home challenger, no limit on how many spots Canada could have had... yet, only 2 men and 2 women... and let's never forget how host spots were ditched at SCI last year.

Sackie

Medalist
I can think of 3 or 4 other ladies they could have sent. Sure they probably would have been in the bottom but then again they may have surprised and done better then expected. After all I don't think any one expected 2 CAN ladies to medal here. Same in the men - Matthew for sure should have been here if he was able.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
They probably weren't expecting that the singles field would be one where the Canadians would perform well, based on the initial entry lists. Probably the aim was to medal in pairs and ice dance with Marjorie/Zachary. But ice is slippery and there were withdrawals. This should be a good lesson that if you send the single skaters out, they can do well even if they aren't expected to.

Plus they can get moments like this!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Not bad at all. Stephan shows at ACI23 he's still got the technical stuff (even if it was not enough to remain in second place at ACI23, still third and let's be honest Kevin was really good, I was mesmerised) and has improved on the artistic part. Looks to be a good season for the Canadians if the men keep this up. I hope to see Conrad soon, I don't know why, but I have a soft spot for him.