2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyzskater

On the Ice
They probably weren't expecting that the singles field would be one where the Canadians would perform well, based on the initial entry lists. Probably the aim was to medal in pairs and ice dance with Marjorie/Zachary. But ice is slippery and there were withdrawals. This should be a good lesson that if you send the single skaters out, they can do well even if they aren't expected to.

Plus they can get moments like this!
And the aim can't just be the podium. That's the whole point of developing skaters. You have to give them a chance to get out there, especially when there is minimal cost since it's domestic. There are so many European competitions that have a significant portion being skaters from the host countries. It's just another opportunity for skaters to gain competition experience, which is invaluable.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They probably weren't expecting that the singles field would be one where the Canadians would perform well, based on the initial entry lists. Probably the aim was to medal in pairs and ice dance with Marjorie/Zachary. But ice is slippery and there were withdrawals. This should be a good lesson that if you send the single skaters out, they can do well even if they aren't expected to.

Plus they can get moments like this!
this photo is gold!!!! Can you imagine these two girls, getting their photo taken while Kaori is totally photobombing it !!!! I think if I were Justine or Kaiya, I would get this printed and framed, put it as my desktop image on my phone and all other screens, and make a tshirt of it.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just a comment on our men.

I like that they are trying new things, sometimes successful other times less.

Gogo = 3f+3a sequence was super neat

Wesley had a hard fall but it was on a rotated 4lz. This is a new toy for him.

Sackie

Medalist
I know on the ACI page some were saying Gogo didn't deserve 3rd place and that is what I thought while watching the event. But when I went back and watched his skate I realised yes he had a couple big errors but like 4everchan says he also did some really nice big elements. And isn't that what the new system is about - rewarding you for what you do do and not deducting for the errors. And yes Wesley didn't have a great skate but quite often that is what happens when a skater tries to add more content.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I know on the ACI page some were saying Gogo didn't deserve 3rd place and that is what I thought while watching the event. But when I went back and watched his skate I realised yes he had a couple big errors but like 4everchan says he also did some really nice big elements. And isn't that what the new system is about - rewarding you for what you do do and not deducting for the errors. And yes Wesley didn't have a great skate but quite often that is what happens when a skater tries to add more content.
Gogo had a commanding lead from the SP. His LP was good enough to maintain the 3rd place. From the rink, none of the men really delivered... Even Ilia popped a jump HA and he did way less quads than his usual ! Stephen popped a quad and fell on another... But he came back in the second half and did a gorgeous 3f-3a seq and a 4s. In this field, that was enough with his whopping lead to medal. His program is bland but so were the programs of just about everyone.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Even if they didn't get the TES scores, I hope that Skate Canada sees how thrilled Kaiya and Justine were to be winning medals at a Challenger and sharing a podium with Kaori. That has to boost their confidence, along with their reputation internationally. I really hope that Skate Canada makes use of King's Cup for the singles skaters, junior and senior.

And now there are 6 pair teams with the worlds TES, and only one woman. I hope that they're not crossing their fingers that Kaiya and Sara-Maude will get their minimums without making use of any other assignments other than a pre-GP Challenger, SCI and possibly 4CC.
This was the highlight of the Autumn Classic for me. Both Kaiya and Justine weren’t expected to land on the podium against Kaori, Mone and Audrey. They managed to do it with really solid skates and to see them so happy on the podium, made me happy knowing they what this moment to cherish for the rest of their lives. Like @4everchan mentioned, these are the moments Skate Canada takes away by not sending our skaters to international events.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Gogo had a commanding lead from the SP. His LP was good enough to maintain the 3rd place. From the rink, none of the men really delivered... Even Ilia popped a jump HA and he did way less quads than his usual ! Stephen popped a quad and fell on another... But he came back in the second half and did a gorgeous 3f-3a seq and a 4s. In this field, that was enough with his whopping lead to medal. His program is bland but so were the programs of just about everyone.
Loved that 3F-3A combo. He totally earned his spot on the podium. Maybe, the Canadian Men can be competitive this year 😀

Sackie

Medalist
The Canadian men can only be competitive as long as Skate Canada sends them out. When you think of how many we have in the running to be Canadian Champ this year they really should have sent a few more to ACI. And GOGO held his own here against some world class skaters.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The Canadian men can only be competitive as long as Skate Canada sends them out. When you think of how many we have in the running to be Canadian Champ this year they really should have sent a few more to ACI. And GOGO held his own here against some world class skaters.
Especially since Canada has two spots for home worlds. Why not make sure that the skaters have a lot of experience entering this high pressure event ? On top of that, Messing is often the skater who did place high enough for Canada to secure that 2nd spot. Without him there, our men will have to work extra hard to keep those spots. We all saw how judges treat newcomers last year : Conrad certainly did not have the best SP of his life but he should have made the LP. Skating early, as an unknown, did him in. Same happened with our junior men : Edward should have made the LP but his skating had not received much visibility prior to worlds.

I feel this is unfortunately déjà-vu. With Roman and Corey quite injured, who knows if they will be in shape come Nationals.

So, as of now, it's pretty much between Conrad, Gogo and Wesley. None of these skaters has a safe PCS threshold and rely on landing the big quads mostly. Their spins don't score well either.

It is sad when considering the legacy of our men skaters, world champions Orser, Browning, Stojko, Buttle, Chan.

Sackie

Medalist
And as we remember from last year's nationals some of these top runners can easily put themselves out of the running with a poor short at nationals. Then where does that leave us since the others are not given a chance to get out there in front of international judges.

saine

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There's Aleksa Rakic too. He's put himself in the mix with his summer competitions and getting his world's minimums. I'm curious to see how he'll score at Nebelhorn given his range of scores over the summer competitions.

They should be sending out all the singles skaters and if it's said enough times, maybe they'll actually do it?

Also Skate Canada updated the events page for the Budapest assignments before they came out! Lauriault/LeGac and Bronsard/Richmond are assigned, no singles going.

They also added a section for Trophée Metropole Nice Côte d’Azur, but no entries listed there yet. Interesting.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There's Aleksa Rakic too. He's put himself in the mix with his summer competitions and getting his world's minimums. I'm curious to see how he'll score at Nebelhorn given his range of scores over the summer competitions.

They should be sending out all the singles skaters and if it's said enough times, maybe they'll actually do it?

Also Skate Canada updated the events page for the Budapest assignments before they came out! Lauriault/LeGac and Bronsard/Richmond are assigned, no singles going.

They also added a section for Trophée Metropole Nice Côte d’Azur, but no entries listed there yet. Interesting.
Happy to see the dancers are going. I love Bronsard-Richmond's programmes this year. Both hits IMHO. Now, they just need to get levels and goe... :)

Aleksa, worried about his pcs honestly.

Why are there no single skaters going to Budapest is an interesting question ...

Sackie

Medalist
Will be interesting to see how our skaters do at Nebelhorn since over the years we have had some surprising Canadian results. The top being Kaetlyn coming out of nowhere to win her 1st SR international.

figureskatingandrainbows

Skating is all sunshine and rainbows... right?!?!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I feel this is unfortunately déjà-vu. With Roman and Corey quite injured, who knows if they will be in shape come Nationals.
Based on his IG, I think Corey has recovered from his injury and is ramping back up to 100% training, he posted a video of himself landing a 4T recently

saine

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skate Canada updated the entries on the events page for Trophee Metropole, looks like they're only sending junior pairs:
  • Annika Behnke/Kole Sauve
  • Beau Callahan/Christophe Roch
They probably could've sent some of the junior singles too, but it's Skate Canada, hopefully they're being sent to King's Cup.

Also Skate Ontario posted the entry lists for October Sectional Series event:
  • Roman and Corey are entered!
  • no senior pairs
  • Gabby is entered, along with Amelia Orzel
    • Amelia is the only Ice Palace skater in the seniors

Status
Not open for further replies.