2023-24 French Championships | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023-24 French Championships

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dear Kevin - please call Jason Brown ASAP and ask for a advice and a pep talk on how to enjoy your skating career and not worry about all this other stuff cause the rest of us love you and want you to continue and most of all be happy. Luv from us fans:ghug::console:

This might actually help, if Kévin could actually do it. Jason and Kevin were good buddies at the Japanese skating shows last summer, so maybe....

Jason has talked honestly about the deep depression he sank into after missing the 18 Olympics team, that he wondered if he had anything to offer the skating world because he could not master one jump, and if all the training and sacrifice were worthwhile. Jason, after work with mental health professionals and not just waking up happy one day, decided he did have more to offer.

Kevin has so much to offer skating, if he could just perhaps work with someone and set his mind to accept that, we could benefit from his skating for years to come. :pray:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What in the world happened?

Kevin is getting roasted online, both for his performance and for the interview afterwards.

I don't speak French well enough to translate - my everyday usage is far too rusty - but the interpretations I've seen of this interview are not good. Do we have a native speaker who can clear things up?
From what I've seen on my timeline he is being roasted - as is his coach, who isn't popular there anyway - but he also has quite a lot of eloquent (even in translation) defenders. In a way I'm reminded of what was said in archived threads I've read during Jeremy Abbott's wildly erratic career.

I hope Kevin stays off social media for a while, what he doesn't read can't hurt him.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it was the kiss n cry.

Yes, thanks @Jeanie19. My calling the comments an "interview" is an example of my rusty French, which I confessed to earlier.

I do regret my misinterpretation has sent others in search of a formal interview. Mia culpa.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From what I've seen on my timeline he is being roasted - as is his coach, who isn't popular there anyway - but he also has quite a lot of eloquent (even in translation) defenders. In a way I'm reminded of what was said in archived threads I've read during Jeremy Abbott's wildly erratic career.

I hope Kevin stays off social media for a while, what he doesn't read can't hurt him.
I just don't understand the kick someone when they are down mentality.

Last edited:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I feel for him truly. He looks completely deflated and over it. He didn’t give any care to that program after a bit of it and you can tell hes mentally struggling. I really hope he just forgets about this event, takes a holiday break, surrounds him self with positive people and comes back in the new year ready to go. He needs to step back and realize he doesn’t need to live up to anyone else. He needs to be him self and him self only. Thats where he thrives. Stick to your own craft. Im rooting for him. It’s unfortunate because he was in a good position after the SP.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I was not able to watch, and I am kind of glad about that now... don't feel like watching it.

x is a cesspool. And while there are (still) a few good accounts, it is overall unusable and especially the sports debates I have read there are on the level of asocial 4 year olds. Most figure skating "fans" there are incredibly uninformed and even on the level of ex-elite the discussions are super uninformed and biased. I would not look there if I was a figure skater.

I hope this is just the usual emotional Kévin who was so disappointed. Having such a terrible skate at the GPF and then feeling like it's repeated already within days must be very hard. But it was immediately after the skate - people can be very sad in one moment, and then, when the immediate feelings vanish, they are totally fine again. So I very much hope that is mostly the case here.
Such thoughts about regret or disappointment will surely be on his mind in general sometimes, he will think about it, but there is no reason to feel like that overall. He was in the GPF for a reason, that reason was great skating. He has many fans, including me, who find watching him enriching and inspiring. He has also shown that he can do this Bolero program in an amazing way.

Not sure how he feels like in terms of health and how much pain has accumulated over the years as it is the case for so many skaters.
I can imagine that's very tough when you have to pick yourself up each day and work through pain and then there is no "result" to show for.
I can also imagine it is hard when you are from France and you suddenly have a competitor like Adam in front of you - there is basically no chance for him to beat Adam anymore, even if he had been clean here. But he's one of the top10 skaters in the world, brings joy to people and
and yes, of course I, too, hope he will be able to realize that. (Despite his coach(es) who I wish I would not have to see as well.)

But still I have seen him skate great programs this year, both his short and his free, in some ways he's better than ever. And apart from the general intensity and showmanship there are so many small delights in his skating, such cleanliness and care in details.
Have some great holidays, Kévin. :thank:

niks

On the Ice
I've just got around to see Kevin's skate. It was heartbreaking. His Bolero program is so unique and Kevin skated it with such power and life at Skate America (that performance is still vividly imprinted in my mind and I have rewatched it several times), that this was even harder to watch; I had to force myself to watch the full replay. I guess Kevin also probably had to force himself enormously to finish the program. Specially after the fall in the spin, I felt he truly gave up and just wanted to go away, but still forced himself to continue. Not easy at all, considering additionaly the strong defiant sequence he must do at the end. I remember one comment around Skate America that pointed out how hard it would be to do that sequence when the skate doesn't work out; well, that comment was absolutely spot on.

And the KnC was even more heartbreaking if possible. I feel for Kevin and I understand his emotions. He wouldn't take his coaches' confort (like they were pointing out how he fought it out and finished the program, which is no small feat given the situation, but he would dismiss this) and he was very anguished about his career and future. Kevin is clearly very emotional and all his emotions poured out in such a difficult moment.

I'm always crushed for really gifted skaters that for one reason or another don't achieve the results that would theorically match their talent. Kevin is very talented and whether that elusive victory he said he's been trying to catch for 4 years, comes up or not, I just hope he can appreciate how worth it his skating is and know he has created beauty and touched people's feelings. And that he is at peace with himself and happy. :ghug:

On a side note, I liked very much Maé-Bérénice Méité's commentary. She showed great empathy in a very sad situation. She mentioned she trains with Kevin and that this performance was no reflect at all of Kevin's work, efforts and talent. You could tell she was in pain for him. I don't know if she had already done commentary before, but she is very good at it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not sure what elusive victory Kévin refers to? He's won the French championships plenty of times.
At this point, he needs to comes to terms that he is who he is and skates the way he skates and that's pretty darn good.
Will he win ISU championships medals? Probably not. He still managed 4th place at worlds. With the so many quadsters around, the TES gap is just impossible to make up. It's just maths. Patrick found out about that a long time ago with two quad toes and a quad salchow... It still wasn't enough. Jason is also well aware of it. Patrick was at the very end of his career. He wouldn't have continued anyways after the 2018 team gold. Jason kept going on his own terms. Kévin can easily do that as well and grace us with fabulous programs.

I saw his Boléro at ACI. It was by far the best LP there in terms of everything but the jumps. It would be a pity if he were to get into this self pity mode at the latter stage of his career. He is 26 already. I wish him internal peace and hopefully he will keep skating with the passion we know him for.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I am not sure what elusive victory Kévin refers to? He's won the French championships plenty of times.
At this point, he needs to comes to terms that he is who he is and skates the way he skates and that's pretty darn good.
Will he win ISU championships medals? Probably not. He still managed 4th place at worlds. With the so many quadsters around, the TES gap is just impossible to make up. It's just maths. Patrick found out about that a long time ago with two quad toes and a quad salchow... It still wasn't enough. Jason is also well aware of it. Patrick was at the very end of his career. He wouldn't have continued anyways after the 2018 team gold. Jason kept going on his own terms. Kévin can easily do that as well and grace us with fabulous programs.

I saw his Boléro at ACI. It was by far the best LP there in terms of everything but the jumps. It would be a pity if he were to get into this self pity mode at the latter stage of his career. He is 26 already. I wish him internal peace and hopefully he will keep skating with the passion we know him for.

It was all said in the heat of the moment, after a second horror skate within days. "Self pity mode" seems very harsh in such a situation. It's not coming from an interview of weeks after but directly from the k&c.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It was all said in the heat of the moment, after a second horror skate within days. "Self pity mode" seems very harsh in such a situation. It's not coming from an interview of weeks after but directly from the k&c.
I used the conditional not the present... I am saying it would be terrible if he were to get into that mode... not that he did ;)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Kevin wants a European medal, which is so in his reach, but he has missed it twice by being 4th. That's what I believe he is talking about. He is a 5 time French Champion and this is the first time off the podium in 12 years.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Kevin wants a European medal, which is so in his reach, but he has missed it twice by being 4th. That's what I believe he is talking about. He is a 5 time French Champion and this is the first time off the podium in 12 years.
Would the French Fed not send him to Euros because of his result at Nationals? They have three spots. It depends on their own selection criteria but he did qualify for GPF so in many nations, the fed would send him anyways... probably even to worlds.

I understand very much he would like that Euro medal and I hope for him he gets it... but that medal is not going to define him.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Would the French Fed not send him to Euros because of his result at Nationals? They have three spots. It depends on their own selection criteria but he did qualify for GPF so in many nations, the fed would send him anyways... probably even to worlds.

I understand very much he would like that Euro medal and I hope for him he gets it... but that medal is not going to define him.

That is a very tough question to answer.

Is it fair to Kevin to send him to Euros and/or Worlds? He's clearly in a fragile spot mentally. Of course, none of us know him, but does he seem like the type who can just shake this off and bounce back effortlessly? Does putting that pressure on him right now serve anyone's interests? Is he better served by shutting down the season to regroup and assess? His last two free skates have been very tough to watch. I hate to think what one more will do to him.

Is it fair to the other French men, one of whom would be left off these teams if Kevin gets a spot? None of them have his innate talent, IMO, but they held up very well in comparison.

I don't know which way I'd lean, and I'm very interested in what the French fed will do.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Is it fair to Kevin to send him to Euros and/or Worlds? He's clearly in a fragile spot mentally. Of course, none of us know him, but does he seem like the type who can just shake this off and bounce back effortlessly? Does putting that pressure on him right now serve anyone's interests? Is he better served by shutting down the season to regroup and assess? His last two free skates have been very tough to watch. I hate to think what one more will do to him.

Is it fair to the other French men, one of whom would be left off these teams if Kevin gets a spot? None of them have his innate talent, IMO, but they held up very well in comparison.

I don't know which way I'd lean, and I'm very interested in what the French fed will do.
I think that for Euros, having 3 spots can allow one of the other French men to go with Kévin/Adam.. and then, for worlds, they could reassess. The timeline for having French Nationals a few days after GPF in China was rough on both Kévin and Adam. I like François and Luc but I don't think they are quite competitive for worlds.. a bit more for Euros I guess.

icewhite

Record Breaker
It's quite likely he would have skated much better here if the event had not been directly after the GPF. So not sending him to Euros in case he wishes to go there would basically be punishing him for making the GPF.
As long as I follow him he has always been a highly emotional skater prone to reacting emotionally when things did not go well. I had hoped he had "overcome" that, but it seems he hasn't. Still, to do Nationals half a week after a disaster skate at a first rate event would be tough for anyone - I don't know if injury, new boots or something added to the problems, or if it was just nerves, but as much as I like the other French men, are you really going to send Vauclin over him to Euros?
I would guess that Pitot gets Junior Worlds? And Economides would get the second or third spot anyway.
All the feds do crazy things. And it often happens in fs they decide on one event. But for me that is no question at all, unless Kevin himself says he's currently not in the state to do Euros and wishes to skip them.
Worlds is still quite some time ahead, unless he has another disaster skate at Euros I don't see any reason to not send him there.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

US chooses by body of work, why shouldn't France? His last 2 free skates less than a week apart were terrible. But in this season he is 6th in the free. Luc 26th and Francois 32nd.
In world standings. Kevin is 6th, Luc is 44th, and Francois is 33rd. Think about what flight these skaters will be in.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can imagine that it might be harder to be one of the skaters always 'on the bubble' for the greatest awards but never quite grabbing them than it is those a little further back who know they will probably never (barring the skate of their lives and even then only at lesser competitions) podium, but are content to travel, enjoy the experience of performing round the world and what that brings and if by chance they medal or even final flight anywhere, are happy with that.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
2023-24 French Championships - 9-14 Décembre 2023
Vaujany, FRA |
Wikipedia | Entries/Results / Stream
Men Short
Warm-up Group 1
1 Davide LEWTON BRAIN*
2 Axel AHMED
3 Xan ROLS
4 Xavier VAUCLIN
5 Gianni MOTILLA
6 ILIA GOGITIDZE
7 Corentin SPINAR

Warm-up Group 2
8 Landry LE MAY
9 Samy HAMMI
10 Luc ECONOMIDES
11 François PITOT
12 Kévin AYΜΟΖ
13 Adam SIAO HIM FA
Ian VAUCLIN

*From Monaco (invited)

Men Free
Warm-up Group 1
1 Axel AHMED
2 Gianni MOTILLA
3 Corentin SPINAR
4 Davide LEWTON BRAIN*
5 Xan ROLS
6 ILIA GOGITIDZE
7 Samy HAMMI

Warm-up Group 2
8 Landry LE MAY
9 Xavier VAUCLIN
10 François PITOT
11 Luc ECONOMIDES
12 Kévin AYΜΟΖ
13 Adam SIAO HIM FA

Just one small correction - the link that is currently on the Men's Free title should actually be on the Men's Short title.

Here is the missing link for the Men's Free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-W9qqCY8AY&t=7885

Don't worry, you're not the only one that made a mistake involving the Men's Free streaming link. I forgot to edit the link in my reminder post as well until there now. Which is why I noticed the mistake in your RE-WATCH post.

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

On special assignment for work, see you in August
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just one small correction - the link that is currently on the Men's Free title should actually be on the Men's Short title.

Here is the missing link for the Men's Free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-W9qqCY8AY&t=7885

Don't worry, you're not the only one that made a mistake involving the Men's Free streaming link. I forgot to edit the link in my reminder post as well until there now. Which is why I noticed the mistake in your RE-WATCH post.

CaroLiza_fan
fixed