2023-24 US Ice Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2023-24 US Ice Dance

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Carhart/Horovyii and Pedersen/Chen were assigned to JGP Hungary. There are just 2 events left. I imagine that C/H will be assigned to JGP Armenia (the last event) as their second JGP so that they aren't doing events back to back. The Peals also have not received their second assignment yet, so they will presumably be assigned to JGP Poland or Armenia. That leaves two spots left. Ilin/Cain could get a second assignment, or USFS could distribute those two spots between Bland/Sperry, Cui/Eckert, and Epps/Gilman, who all currently do not have any JGPs.
Maybe hauer/star if the issue that caused them to withdraw is resolved whatever that is?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
That leaves two spots left. Ilin/Cain could get a second assignment, or USFS could distribute those two spots between Bland/Sperry, Cui/Eckert, and Epps/Gilman, who all currently do not have any JGPs.
If the three above, I would favor Cui/Eckert, who I found enjoyable at Lake Placid. But for one unfortunate error, I believe they would have been quite close to the eventual winners, Pederson /Chen. Bland/Sperry had a rough competition.

Of course, USFS has not asked me! :)

dancelion21

On the Ice
Neset/Markelov won their first JGP event this past weekend with a personal best score.

Carhart/Horovyi and Cui/Eckert were assigned to JGP Poland, so C/H will be doing back to back Grand Prixs. There’s just one JGP left in Armenia, and the Peals are likely to get one of the two spots since they’re currently only assigned to one event. The other spot could be a second assignment for Ilin/Cain or Cui/Eckert, or the only assignment for Epps/Gilman or Bland/Sperry.

Carreira/Ponomarenko and McNamara/Spiridonov were assigned to Nebelhorn.

Last edited:

dancelion21

On the Ice
The Peals won bronze at JGP Austria while the Mullens placed 7th. The Peals are currently the only team assigned to JGP Armenia, the last JGP. I hope USFS will add another team, as it is a waste of a second spot.

Green/Parsons and Zingas/Kolesnik were assigned to Nepela. This will be Green/Parsons' second Challenger, as they are competing at Lombardia this weekend. Zingas/Kolesnik will be making their season debut. Their ISU bio has already been updated with their program music for the season.
Music Rhythm Dance as of season 2023/2024
Another Part of Me by Michael Jackson
Liberian Girl by Michael Jackson
Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season 2023/2024
Main Title Prologue (from "The Beauty and the Beast") by Alan Melken
Transformations (from "The Beauty and the Beast") by Alan Melken
Overture (from "The Beauty and the Beast") by Alan Melken
Evermore (from "The Beauty and the Beast") performed by Josh Groban

Green/Parsons and Bratti/Somerville are competing at Lombardia and their ISU bios were updated a while ago with their program music.
Green/Parsons
Straight Up (Extended Version) by Paula Abdul, Elliot Wolff, Keith Cohen
Cold Hearted (Extended Version) by Paula Abdul, Elliot Wolff
Denmark by Portland Cello Project, Gideon Freudmann
Wind and Snow by Annalisa Tornfelt, Gideon Freudmann, Portland Cello Project
Denmark by Portland Cello Project, Gideon Freudmann
Bratti/Somerville
When Doves Cry by Prince
Let's Go Crazy by Prince
Ne Me Quitte Pas by Celine Dion, Jacques Brel
Composition by Karl Hugo
Ne Me Quitte Pas by Celine Dion, Jacques Brel

dancelion21

On the Ice
The Browns and Carreira/Ponomarenko were assigned to Finlandia. So looks like Chock/Bates will be debuting at Skate America. Hawayek/Baker could potentially get assigned to Budapest Trophy, which is 3 weeks before their GP debut at Grand Prix de France.

At JGP Turkey, Pedersen/Chen won silver in the event while Ilin/Cain placed 6th overall. I do wonder if USFS will give Ilin/Cain a second assignment because they got a very respectable score and placement. In the free skate, Ilin/Cain had the second highest technical score of the event.

At Lombardia, Green/Parsons placed 6th after two very messy skates while Bratti/Somerville placed 4th.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
The Browns and Carreira/Ponomarenko were assigned to Finlandia. So looks like Chock/Bates will be debuting at Skate America. Hawayek/Baker could potentially get assigned to Budapest Trophy, which is 3 weeks before their GP debut at Grand Prix de France.

At JGP Turkey, Pedersen/Chen won silver in the event while Ilin/Cain placed 6th overall. I do wonder if USFS will give Ilin/Cain a second assignment because they got a very respectable score and placement. In the free skate, Ilin/Cain had the second highest technical score of the event.

At Lombardia, Green/Parsons placed 6th after two very messy skates while Bratti/Somerville placed 4th.
What's up with Green/Parsons? I was hoping they would recover in the free dance.

Weathergal

Medalist
What's up with Green/Parsons? I was hoping they would recover in the free dance.
Michael botched a twizzle. I really like them, but to be honest, even though last year's program didn't grab me as much as their previous ones, I liked it better than this season's. This FD music didn't engage me at all. Hoping it will grow on me as I see it more.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So how is Jeffrey Chen competing back on the JGP? I thought once you moved up and competed on the Senior GP you couldn't drop back down to Juniors?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So how is Jeffrey Chen competing back on the JGP? I thought once you moved up and competed on the Senior GP you couldn't drop back down to Juniors?
You can't do both JGP and senior GP in the same season. J Chen is not the only skater to go back to the JGP after competing senior.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Lots of changes in assignments today

Green/Parsons withdrew from Nepela, no substitute has been named yet.

Carhart/Horovyi withdrew from both of their JGP assignments. Ilin/Cain replaced them at their first assignment and Bland/Sperry replaced them at their second assignment.

Wolfkostin/Tsarevski got an article from USFS about their new partnership. They will be competing this weekend alongside Pate/Bye at Autumn Classic in Canada

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lots of changes in assignments today

Green/Parsons withdrew from Nepela, no substitute has been named yet.

Carhart/Horovyi withdrew from both of their JGP assignments. Ilin/Cain replaced them at their first assignment and Bland/Sperry replaced them at their second assignment.

Wolfkostin/Tsarevski got an article from USFS about their new partnership. They will be competing this weekend alongside Pate/Bye at Autumn Classic in Canada
Are C/H ill or injured? Glad to see Bland/Sperry get a chance.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Last weekend, Neset/Markelov won their second JGP event and sealed their place in JGPF. The Mullens placed 5th.

Pate/Bye won Autumn Classic while Wolfkostin/Tsarevski placed 5th.

Tomorrow, Carreira/Ponomarenko and McNamara/Spiridonov will compete at Nebelhorn Trophy while Pedersen/Chen and Ilin/Cain will compete at JGP Hungary. Pedersen/Chen could also qualify for JGPF this weekend.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Wolfkostin/Tsarevski and Flores/Desyatov were assigned to Budapest Trophy.

At Nebelhorn, Carreira/Ponomarenko finished in 4th place while McNamara/Spiridonov were in 8th.

At JGP Budapest, Pedersen/Chen placed second and have likely qualified for JGP Final. They had a fall in their free dance. Hopefully they can skate clean at JGPF. Ilin/Cain also made some twizzle mistakes in their free dance and finished 9th. Ilin/Cain's next international event will likely be the Youth Olympic Games in January.

Next weekend, Zingas/Kolesnik will be making their season debut at Nepela.

Hawayek/Baker's ISU Profile was updated with their music for this season. They will not be competing before their Grand Prix debut in France.

With or Without You by U2
Kyle (Northern Line) by Fred Again
AUS23 (1:1) by Charles Leclerc-

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
"
Hawayek/Baker's ISU Profile was updated with their music for this season. They will not be competing before their Grand Prix debut in France.

Kyle (Northern Line) by Fred Again"

I'm fond of that U2 song so I expect very good things from Hawayek/Baker in the RD. And I'm hoping for very very good things for H/B once the GP series rolls around. Their top American competitors are all crazy good, but I'm not leaving my fandom for Kaitlin and Jean-Luc for any reason. :)

labgoat

On special assignment for work, see you in August
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wolfkostin/Tsarevski and Flores/Desyatov were assigned to Budapest Trophy.

At Nebelhorn, Carreira/Ponomarenko finished in 4th place while McNamara/Spiridonov were in 8th.

At JGP Budapest, Pedersen/Chen placed second and have likely qualified for JGP Final. They had a fall in their free dance. Hopefully they can skate clean at JGPF. Ilin/Cain also made some twizzle mistakes in their free dance and finished 9th. Ilin/Cain's next international event will likely be the Youth Olympic Games in January.

Next weekend, Zingas/Kolesnik will be making their season debut at Nepela.

I finally get my wish for a U2 program and by one of my favorites. I can’t wait.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
At Lombardia, Green/Parsons placed 6th after two very messy skates
Wow. They aren't ready for the season? They were on the upswing two seasons ago with their edgy modern dance aesthetic. Looks like this move to MIDA is not bearing good fruit for them.

I saw clips of Bratti/ Somerville. They are okay, nothing very exciting. Of course Ian is tremendously talented. He should have patiently stayed with his original partner, Eliana Gropman. They were partnered together very young and grew up together. Even if their personalities didn't mesh well, they should have held on for the sake of their career. Had they done so, they would probably be right there on the cusp of the top teams for U.S. ice dance, even ahead of the flailing Green/Parsons and holding their own against Zingas/ Kolesnik and Carr/Pon.

Gropman had applied to the Univ. of Michigan, yet she probably would have deferred for a year, had she and Ian communicated with each other wisely. Apparently, Ian was set on partnering with his then girlfriend, Kat DelCamp. They were striking together on the ice and very romantic. Kat has flexibility and dramatic flair, yet her ice dance skills were not at Ian's level. They were second and then third in U.S. juniors, with the Browns moving ahead of them, along with the then team of Isabella/ Dima, fast rising. I believe Ian had one more season of junior eligibility, but he was ready to move on to seniors, and Kat had and needed two more seasons in juniors to hone her skills. They split in April 2021, not amicably. Kat had a brief pairing with Billy Wilson French of Great Britain, which didn't come to competitive fruition.

Ultimately, Kat has found happiness in partnering on and off-the-ice with Turkish ice dancer, Berk Akalin. They recently competed (and placed second overall in a limited field) at the Philadelphia Challenge event.

Meanwhile, it appears to me that Emily Bratti has grown slightly taller. She was okay with Ian when they first partnered, but I was not impressed by how they looked together at Lombardia (even despite the fact they placed fourth, ahead of Green/ Parsons). Emily's skills are not at Ian's level. He looked better with DelCamp, even though her ice dance skills were not at his level either. His best partner though, was his first partner, Eliana, whose height, talent and skill level were the best match, especially seeing they grew up learning ice dance together. Ironically, Ian is now training in Michigan, where Eliana moved to attend university. That could have all been worked out, with patience.

I wonder whether Green/ Parsons can work things out? The only teams I'm really excited by at this point for U.S. ice dance are the veterans, Chock/ Bates, and Hawayek/Baker, plus relative senior newbies, Zingas/ Kolesnik, and Flores/Desyatov (great chemistry & huge talent). I also enjoy watching the Brown siblings, Carr/Pon and Pate/Bye. While the recently formed team of Kaia/ Dima are technically wonderful, I do not feel any genuine emotional connection from them yet.

I suppose Emily/Ian and McNam/ Spiro will remain in the mix for awhile competitively, but I do not view either team as well-matched. Moreover, I'm doubtful that either have huge potential to be highly competitive at the very top for the U.S. internationally. Yes, they are competent, and they can place fairly well, and both teams have worked hard to improve, but for me neither possess great potential. It would be better if Ian could find another Eliana Gropman. They were wonderful together. But, that's pie-in-the-sky. I also loved Lorraine McNamara with Quinn Carpenter, who retired awhile back. C'est la vie.

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
Ultimately, Kat has found happiness in partnering on and off-the-ice with Turkish ice dancer, Berk Akalin. They recently competed (and won in a limited field) at the Philadelphia Challenge event.
The Akalins were first in the RD in this event but had a poor showing in the FD and came in second overall to Murphy/Lovitt.