2023 Canadian Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, Axel Paulsen, Ulrich Salchow and Ferdinand Toeloop just wake up

giphy.gif
Why is it called the toe loop and not the Mapes.

The toe loop jump is the simplest jump in the sport of figure skating.It was invented in the 1920s by American professional figure skater Bruce Mapes - so says Wikipedia

Reverie

On the Ice
So impressed with Kaiya's determination in her freeskate today. She is definitely there wanting to compete and loving it!
I think to have worn the same two skating costumes as she did in 2021-22 season for her SP and LP and again in 2022-23 season (reversed for SP and LP) suggests humbleness and how expensive this sport is to compete at this level.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, Axel Paulsen, Ulrich Salchow and Ferdinand Toeloop just wake up

giphy.gif
Why is it called the toe loop and not the Mapes.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The toe loop jump is the simplest jump in the sport of figure skating.It was invented in the 1920s by American professional figure skater Bruce Mapes - so says Wikipedia

Yeah, but it's a good question. The Axel, The Salchow, and The Mapes.... and then there's the sheepskin coat.

rain

Record Breaker
But Maddie showed spirit and determination. I think she has room to grow into that program, expression-wise.
Maddie hasn't had a good skate with this LP all season. I wonder if there's some changes that could be made. She fought for it, which is admirable, but there was very little performance for at least the first half, while she was laser focused on the jumps. I will not be sad to see her get a new program next season.

She did mention in an interview that she was having some kind of problem this week, something about not being able to get her foot into her boot at all for several days? I was multi-tasking so can't remember the exact details.

kenboy123

On the Ice
In my mind, I was wondering what would have happened if Ruiter had a better short program…she could’ve eclipsed Schizas … would that mean she would have went to worlds????

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
In my mind, I was wondering what would have happened if Ruiter had a better short program…she could’ve eclipsed Schizas … would that mean she would have went to worlds????
i was wondering that too but even if she had landed her combo in the short she likely would have been scored few points behind Maddie anyway and considering that even with her clean 7 triple skate Maddie with a skate with multiple tiny mistake in the jump landings and a pop still managed to score 1 point behind her in the free, it still would have most likely led to Maddie winning.
I still think that if Kaia had somehow won they would have sent Maddie to sr worlds as she has more experience.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Well, you could still say that Maddie could have had a better FS then still. The "problem" is that they really need Maddie and can't just send anyone because of minimums, pressure, experience and consistency.

Ziotic

Medalist
i was wondering that too but even if she had landed her combo in the short she likely would have been scored few points behind Maddie anyway and considering that even with her clean 7 triple skate Maddie with a skate with multiple tiny mistake in the jump landings and a pop still managed to score 1 point behind her in the free, it still would have most likely led to Maddie winning.
I still think that if Kaia had somehow won they would have sent Maddie to sr worlds as she has more experience.
Especially considering what happened with Kaiya at JW. She just doesn’t have enough experience internationally. Plus Maddie will have a ton of pressure to get two spots. Firstly for home worlds and second since she might lose her spot with so many others rising to challenge her.

I think k Kaiya for JW and Mandy for SW and both plus I guess Sarah Maude for 4CC.
Also I’ll say it again what 💩 for Fiona.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
what’s the threshold score to get international assignments for women? 160?
The score threshold from Nationals is 165, so that would be Maddie, Kaiya, Fiona and Sara-Maude.
The score threshold from international competitions is 155, so in addition to the skaters mentioned above, there would also be Gabby, Justine and Lia.

All others are either not Senior-eligible or haven't scored high enough.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO Schizas was deliberately overscored in the SP to ensure she'd retain the title. There is no way Canada was going to send Ruiter to Worlds, given the gap in her international competition resume. So it was important for Skate Canada to be sure Madeline went to Worlds as Canadian champion.

That said, Madeline hasn't been at all impressive this season. She hasn't been able to turn in a clean FS, and she only does one lutz and one flip (when she does actually land the flip) when the top skaters are doing two lutz/two flip programs. Given the base value of her FS, she absolutely needs to deliver it cleanly to have any chance of cracking top 10 at Worlds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
IMO Schizas was deliberately overscored in the SP to ensure she'd retain the title. There is no way Canada was going to send Ruiter to Worlds, given the gap in her international competition resume. So it was important for Skate Canada to be sure Madeline went to Worlds as Canadian champion.

That said, Madeline hasn't been at all impressive this season. She hasn't been able to turn in a clean FS, and she only does one lutz and one flip (when she does actually land the flip) when the top skaters are doing two lutz/two flip programs. Given the base value of her FS, she absolutely needs to deliver it cleanly to have any chance of cracking top 10 at Worlds.
I am curious to see how Maddie was deliberately overscored in the SP?

Looking at the protocols here... she's barely given 8s for PCS... she got dinged for her bad landing on the loop. She didn't get a gigantic amount of +4 and + 5 in GOE. Her spin and step levels were not pushed up to level 4 by the tech panel.

The score is below 70... with a cleaner program, she could skate about 72 at nationals...
A clean program at the Olympics, as a rather unknown skater scored her 69... PCS from nationals are actually about on par with those at Olympics where some people thought she didn't "perform" so much because she was extremely focused on the elements... https://results.isu.org/results/sea...------QUAL0002LD--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

So I don't know. Really. I am trying to see how she was held up and I fail to do so. :slink: