2023 CS Denis Ten Memorial Challenge Free Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 CS Denis Ten Memorial Challenge Free Dance

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
12 Diana DAVIS / Gleb SMOLKIN GEO He in danseur noble costume and she in black tutu with leggings and boot covers and they are skating to selections from Swan Lake
Swan Lake Ballet Suite - Riccardo Muti - Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Nina's Dream - Clint Mansell - Original Soundtrack
Swan Lake Ballet Suite - Riccardo Muti - Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Nina's Dream - Clint Mansell - Original Soundtrack
Power, Seduction, Cries - Clint Mansell - Original Soundtrack
Perfection - Clint Mansell - Original Sountrack

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No question, it was a great programme. And far better than most "Swan Lake" programmes we see.

But it was not Ilinykh / Katsalapov.

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Eeek that lift went a bit pearshaped!

But they managed to salvage it.

Gleb really does look like a prince in his costume.

The first lift was pretty awesome though!

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dramatic lift to open and twizzles with her getting the illusion feature. I am perplexed by this program - is it camp or a modern remix. Thematically it is a bit muddled. There are a lot of tricks such as the hydroblade/cantilever. It is bravura dancing for sure, but is it art? And as I am typing an arched lift leans too far and it comes down. Very unfortunate. There is obvious hard work put into this skate, but it is not quite there for me yet.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh what happened to the Armenian team? Hope neither of them were injured.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay folks I am off for a nap before heading to France.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Diana looks devastated waiting for the scores.

I always feel for Diana. Not only does she have her hearing issues, but she has the immense pressure that comes from being her mother's daughter. And having to cope with the hatred that is directed towards her from people who don't like her mother. (I don't like Eteri either, but it is unfair to be mean to Diana for being her daughter).

But, they won both segments and overall.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Podium Ceremony starting now

CaroLiza_fan

icewhite

Record Breaker
Diana looks devastated waiting for the scores.

I always feel for Diana. Not only does she have her hearing issues, but she has the immense pressure that comes from being her mother's daughter. And having to cope with the hatred that is directed towards her from people who don't like her mother. (I don't like Eteri either, but it is unfair to be mean to Diana for being her daughter).

But, they won both segments and overall.

CaroLiza_fan

Well, of course she also massively profits from being her mother's daughter.
For me the factors equal each other out, in the end I am neutral towards her. But as much as I feel for her in some ways it has to be said she likely wouldn't have made it to the Olympics without her mother being who she is and she most likely wouldn't skate internationally now.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Huh, I thought Alexander Lakernik wasn't allowed to be in the ISU what with everything going on?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, of course she also massively profits from being her mother's daughter.
For me the factors equal each other out, in the end I am neutral towards her. But as much as I feel for her in some ways it has to be said she likely wouldn't have made it to the Olympics without her mother being who she is and she most likely wouldn't skate internationally now.

Yeah, the Olympics is one thing that does stick in my throat. But, at the end of the day, it's not Diana's fault that Eteri was getting preferential treatment.

As a sportsperson, if an opportunity like that comes your way, you jump at it.

CaroLiza_fan

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Well the younger Polish team deciding to switch to senior here definitely made the right decision. Though I did really like the waltz free from the lower placing team. It's unashamedly old school and I respect that.

The younger Ukrainian team adding a spice girls mash up to make their free senior length was slightly jarring but they are fabulous. I think that style of music really suits him in particular.

Thay first lift from Davis and Smolkin still looks terrifying but it's very impressive. He gets his free leg so high off the ice too. But with those errors at the end that score seems quite a lot, though I think they deserved the win as most of the other teams had some errors.

I'm still really impressed by silver medalling team's unusual tango, even if it wasn't technically flawless that chemistry is electric.
And I really liked the lower placing german team's free dance here. Their signature stationary lift is amazing (all their lifts are) and i think they have a lovely dynamic together on the ice

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Huh, I thought Alexander Lakernik wasn't allowed to be in the ISU what with everything going on?

I think he is now classed as a Vice President Emeritus or something like that.

A thing I was trying to find out yesterday, without success. What is Lakernik's background? I mean, was he a skater himself when he was young? Or maybe a coach? Or did he come into the sport as a business administrator, and stayed?

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Well they've got the computer graphic flags, but those are nice medals :) so they beat plastic star French GP there (although those stars were kind of cool).

It just occurred to me...wouldn't Denis be 30 years old this year? Such a shame :(
Yes, Denis died very young, such a tragic and ridiculous story..... Kazakhstan has never had a skater of such level.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Absolutely beautiful costumes, but they have got nothing to do with the music. Madonna has an instantly recognisable look, and this isn't it.

Didn't like the re-mixes of "Frozen" and "Vogue". They are great songs, so just leave them as they are!

Eh?! Where did the Spice Girls pop out of?! This was supposed to be a Madonna medley!

The skating was great, though. Which more than made up for the music being messed about with.

Into a massive lead in both the FS and overall.

CaroLiza_fan
The Spice girls bit was probably tacked on to make it a Senior free dance. The junior version doesn't have it.