2023 Skate Canada Free Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada Free Dance

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
well... we have seen plastic medals before ... so everything is possible :)

These SCI clear medals at least look more classy than the SkAm plastic medals last week, but I don't like how the medals aren't visible on the skaters' body.... It's like there's a strap and then nothing :palmf: And to think that the athletes worked so hard for them!

If any trend should stop, it's this plastic medals.

Cilla70

On the Ice
Oh, I see Oona and Gage threw a little cat among pigeons :laugh:, but so good for them! I love their skating abilities, musicality, connection to the music and attack. US Nationals are going to be a bloodbath for Worlds spots (those 2 remaining)...
And don’t we love it. I also think Canada is going to have one for second and third position.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
These SCI clear medals at least look more classy than the SkAm plastic medals last week, but I don't like how the medals aren't visible on the skaters' body.... It's like there's a strap and then nothing :palmf: And to think that the athletes worked so hard for them!

If any trend should stop, it's this plastic medals.
and it's not like it's a huge expense... they hand out only 15 medals over the weekend. They could make them nice.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Okay, I'm only turned stream back to Piper and Paul for now and...I'm honestly a bit speechless. And with chills. It's 2.20 AM over here and I can only say that I'm absolutely taken by the way that program took the music, the story told by the author and made it into something quite unexpected, certainly not for myself. I was really convinced after hearing the music choice this will be lyrical, melancholic sort of program, with 'signature' P² treatment of high due diligence packaging and storytelling quality. What I just saw, I don't know, in some sense took my breath away and left me breathless after that ending. I can't even coherently explain it now.
The way this program (for me of course, totally subjective opinion and you know my bias, too) thrillingly presents tangle of emotion through captivating image, with the intense/suspense aura, without a defined/expected finale just makes me marvel over storytelling qualities of P² and creation progress of the whole team.
I can't wait for kinks getting worked out, I could also do without judge jumpscare part (at the sane time I sort of get it why this was included, taking how the whole program not only looks, but feels for me). After Evita, I really, REALLY do not need to have any hopes or expectations towards future results. But I will try with all my might to be in Montreal and be well enough to decorate them and this gift of a program despite being probably blind with tears.
Screenshot_20231029-021500_YouTube.jpg

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
It seems like the British judge placed FG in first.... :)
In that case the British judge was blind. It was the worst programme I have ever seen from Lilah and Lewis.

Edit: I hope that Bekker and Hernadez will start to get closer to them in terms of scores. I've been starting to feel that Fear and Gibson were getting a bit too comfortable with their position. It would be good to have a pair start to push them for the British no.1 spot.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As an irish dancer, I have to say that these costumes are actually extremely accurate.
Sorry, but that doesn't make them any better, or my description any less accurate. Maybe actual Irish dancers can make them look less cosplay/bikie. I don't know.

slider11

Medalist
Sorry, but that doesn't make them any better, or my description any less accurate. Maybe actual Irish dancers can make them look less cosplay/bikie. I don't know.
I really prefer Moly and Dimitre's costumes to some corny green with shamrocks!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Piper and Paul surpassed my expectations... especially since it's their first event of the year.
Skatingwise, yes they were great. I will allow that. As I said, I wanted to like them, I really did but I am not a fan of bad and self-important sub-Harlequinesque romance (of which an awful lot also borrows from WH, yes.)

(At least with Lilah and Lewis, my sense of the ridiculous can kick in but I was disappointed in them too.)

rain

Record Breaker
OMG ....
mesmerizing !!!!!!

I loved Evita... this is 10 times better.
Gilles/Poirier's FD this season is everything. They still need to bring more speed in a few parts and clean up some of the lifts a bit (love the curve lift, but the exit cartwheel needs to be cleaner), but this was an exceptional first outing. I just loved everything about it: the choreography, the theme, the music (which I actually hope more people pick up and use in future years since there's a lot here to work with), the performance. Love the hydro blade. Love the spin. Love the twizzles. Love the choreography at the beginning and the end position. There's both beauty and menace, grace and modern angles. The only thing I'm not a giant fan of is the reaching into the judges panel, but that seems to be a thing everyone is doing this year and their's is one of the least objectionable so far.

I totally agree with Weaver that I wasn't ready for it to be over. I wanted it to keep going. Completely absorbing. It had the emotion for me that Chock/Bates lacked last weekend.

Now I have to go watch the rest of the field. I saw the first few skates then had to run out, and of course jumped right to Piper and Paul when I got back, lol.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Skatingwise, yes they were great. I will allow that. As I said, I wanted to like them, I really did but I am not a fan of bad and self-important sub-Harlequinesque romance (of which an awful lot also borrows from WH, yes.)

(At least with Lilah and Lewis, my sense of the ridiculous can kick in but I was disappointed in them too.)
gosh... I have no idea what sub-Harlequinesque romance is... but if I did, I am pretty sure our perceptions wouldn't match.

I love a good and fun ridiculous program.... in a gala... When a team is number 4 in the world and hoping to move up, I would expect something a bit less silly.

Weathergal

Medalist
if everyone and their little cousin didn't flirt with the judges, that moment would look great... :) I was a bit meh about it too and then realized how they did it... drama... it wasn't gimmicky and long and butt shaking.
That's a good point.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
gosh... I have no idea what sub-Harlequinesque romance is... but if I did, I am pretty sure our perceptions wouldn't match.
Trust me, you don't want any idea (I had reasons for getting acquainted, and there is worse reading. Not much worse, but worse.) A hell of a lot of it is inspired by/descendant from the less wonderful aspects of the Brontes, sad to say.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Trust me, you don't want any idea (I had reasons for getting acquainted, and there is worse reading. Not much worse, but worse.) A hell of a lot of it is inspired by/descendant from the less wonderful aspects of the Brontes, sad to say.
OK. I will trust you not to read it... I haven't read the Brontes either :) But I don't see Piper and Paul in this "romance" vibe at all.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OK. I will trust you not to read it... I haven't read the Brontes either :) But I don't see Piper and Paul in this "romance" vibe at all.
I've studied Emily and Charlotte's novels and their impact on later literature (good and bad) and media. Can't say I'm a huge fan, but they are brilliant.