2024 JGP Osaka Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2024 JGP Osaka Free Dance

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This music and the Ghost Dances use of it is very famous in ice dancing, so there is nothing particularly unusual about it.

The Israeli team is a 1991 nostalgia visit for me, an ice dance equivalent of a tribute band.

Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay used the Ghost Dances material not once, but twice.

They won the FS with it in 1990
Missing I - Dolencias and Sikuriades by Inti Illimani; Choreographed by Christopher Dean

and used it again when they won the World Championships with it in 1991
Missing II, Atahualpa and Cacherpaya by Inti Illimani; choreographed by Christopher Dean

It was also used (Sikuriadas from
Panpipes Of The Andes)
by Incantation) by Elena Ikinyh & Nikita Katsalapov in Juniors 2009-10.
They won junior Worlds with it.
Here at JGPF

In fact the Israeli RD music and theme, The Race by Yello, was used by Elizabeth Punsalan and Jerrod Swallow when they first won US Nationals in 1991.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
The Israeli team is a 1991 nostalgia visit for me, an ice dance equivalent of a tribute band.

Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay used the Ghost Dances material not once, but twice.

Calling them a tribute act is plain rude and uncalled for. From what I understand, the inspiration came from watching Christopher Bruce's choreography and not other ice dance teams.
You've picked out 2 teams that have used have used similar music (and only 1 using similar choreography) over a period of 3 decades- it's not a common theme at all.

The other teams you mention took very different approaches with that music. Personally I think this Israeli team did the truer interpretation of the movement and storytelling of that dance- the Duchesnays toned it down a bit, perhaps.

You don't like it- that's up to you. It's unecessary to go out of your way to tell others that they shouldn't.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for giving us the context for that! Now I realized I actually have watched Ghost Dances live on stage before, but I just completely forgot until I saw your video 😅

I agree that Alexei costume makes sense but wasn't executed well, it looks silly which is the exact opposite of what you want from a death spirit. Mask/facepaint will definitely help, and that drawn-abs need to go.
Perhaps the costume designer could have approached it in a slightly more abstract way? Though I wonder how...?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I liked Veillon/Brandy's free dance early on. Yuen/Ma were a cute team :love2: and I admired their curve lift and the commitment right in front of the judges!
Out of the final group, my favourite was 🌹 Fradji/Fourneaux...and it's difficult for them to make the final now. The question/answer movements were really unique in my eyes.
Neset/Markelov - really nice transitions
Tkachenko/Kiliakov - didn't understand the concept but appreciated their vast improvement from last season
Kishimoto/Tamura - fun, like an exhibition program! Sara in particular is a big performer! I was reminded of F/G a little bit and they do have the same coaching team too. Acrobatic dance lift at the end! Happy to see their support from the audience in Osaka but I do wish Yamashita/Nagata had been given a chance to compete here, they don't even need to fly anywhere! Seems JSF only want one dance team to ever represent them at times :(

hooray for free YT stream you can scootch back the stream. Long may they keep free not geoblocked JGP stream.:D
I'm not sure how the YT monetisation works, but on my tv, I get adverts in the middle of every single dance. I think it's a bit OTT, especially when SaraAtsu are doing choreo steps!! :rolleyes:

I'll watch the Duchesnays now, as I must admit I'm not familiar with this type of dance.