2024 World Championships Free Dance | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Free Dance

Weetos

Final Flight
I'm ready for the top 3 teams here to call it quits with all due respect for their talents they have all had numerous chances to medal at the Olympics and failed and i'd like to see these younger teams duke it out and get the shot at the podium. Average age of these teams in 2 years in Milan will be 35 how would we like that in singles.
If we had multiple singles skaters healthy enough to compete at the top level into their thirties and beyond I'd be effing delighted. I'd watch Stephane Lambiel and Daisuke Takahashi compete again in a heartbeat.

Aklaus

Rinkside
it's not a problem if skaters are judged by what they do and not by their reputation

I'm ready for the top 3 teams here to call it quits with all due respect for their talents they have all had numerous chances to medal at the Olympics and failed and i'd like to see these younger teams duke it out and get the shot at the podium. Average age of these teams in 2 years in Milan will be 35 how would we like that in singles.

I could not agree more. May ber judging is more difficult in ice dancing than in the other disciplines, so the judges tend to hold on the results before. So they can not be wrong. But this way of judging and knowing you have to stay in until you are 35 is not motivating young skaters to decide for this wonderful sport. Chock/ Bates, Gilles/Poirier and Guinard/ Fabbri earn a lot of respect for their patience and at the very end if paid off for them. But I would also prefer changes in the ranking and new faces on the podium last year.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love it. I’m all for long careers. The younger teams are free to duke it out. If they are better they will win. Cheers to 40 year old pairs winners, 30’s dance medalists, would love men’s and women’s medalists in their 30s.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well at least you can all count on beating me as I keep finding new and creative ways to mess up my picks. If you want to know what the results will NOT be just check out my picks.
I gave up on my idea of putting names in hats. Too many names. So I don’t bother.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
You only have two? That’s like having two potato chips.
Weeellll Ms. Moonvine I happen to live in a Manhattan $$$ five flight walk-up in a not very large apartment on a modest income ergo.... But if my situation changes for the better I plan to expand my menagerie and perhaps even get a dog. So there!!

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love it. I’m all for long careers. The younger teams are free to duke it out. If they are better they will win. Cheers to 40 year old pairs winners, 30’s dance medalists, would love men’s and women’s medalists in their 30s.
I imagine there are quite a few singles skaters who'd like to continue into their 30s, but who has managed to do it?

As far as I know, most singles skaters (or none?) find that their bodies don't let them continue nearly that far. Michelle Kwan, at 26, in 2006, for just one instance.

Maybe if the requirements were scaled back so that singles skaters could be competitive with fewer jumps. For women, only doubles, like Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hamill. For men, only triple-double combinations.

Or, if everyone would be like Deanna, and retire for 16 years so that there wasn't the constant wear and tear on their bodies of competing. And even Deanna hasn't demonstrated that she can still do a triple-triple.

I got carried away. ;)

Crowdproud

On the Ice
It's not their age that's the problem -- it's the fact that the results are often pre-determined. It makes ice dance the least interesting discipline to follow. The lack of any surprise makes it less of a sport, and more of just beautiful movement on ice.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
What excites me most is that there were no crazy inflated scores tonight unlike last year. The best free dance got only 133 points which is far from the world record...

P.S.: of course, I don't care about fair judging, I just hope the crazy scores are spared for potentially returning P/C
Did you check the components? All 3 top teams were judged with 9.5 and plus there, which means perfection. Only if they are ready to give P/C all 10s, and a first time seen 11 mark from a Kiwi judge :biggrin:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Piper and Paul are beautiful skaters, and shallow comment, I love how her skirt frames her movements. The movie music puts me to sleep, but they rise above.

Again, I just adore the crowd. Well done Montreal. 🎉
Yes and a US National Anthem that was in a singable key. I usually sing "For the la and of the fraaa...." just so I can have an open vowel on that A over high C that was clearly written to be sung by counter tenors.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Catching up. Love P&P's skating per se, as all year still loathe the program and sorry not sorry it is not gold. Maybe next year.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I imagine there are quite a few singles skaters who'd like to continue into their 30s, but who has managed to do it?

As far as I know, most singles skaters (or none?) find that their bodies don't let them continue nearly that far. Michelle Kwan, at 26, in 2006, for just one instance.

Maybe if the requirements were scaled back so that singles skaters could be competitive with fewer jumps. For women, only doubles, like Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hamill. For men, only triple-double combinations.

Or, if everyone would be like Deanna, and retire for 16 years so that there wasn't the constant wear and tear on their bodies of competing. And even Deanna hasn't demonstrated that she can still do a triple-triple.

I got carried away. ;)
Todd was 30 in Salt Lake City, but he also took some time off before he came back and got a medal at 2001 Worlds.