2024 Worlds: General Info and Pre-game chat | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2024 Worlds: General Info and Pre-game chat

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I don't think anyone can beat Chock and Bates. They are well liked, experienced,and have Marie France behind them. If or when Pc return will them fall to no.2 at IAM
If P/C return I don't see Chock/Bates staying on for another two seasons to go for an olympic medal (that's not gold). Especially as they won't be able to win worlds or GPF. (And depending on the theme, are by no means guaranteed olympic medal - home olympics in Milan for Charlene and Marco, with potential themes suiting teams like Fear Gibson who are scoring higher every season).

That being said, looking on scores so far this season (and knowing what happened at least years world championship), I think barring disaster Chock/Bates have the championship in the bag

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just want to see all the dancers have great skates. And I want to see both Chock & Bates and Gilles & Poirier on the podium.

I hope the US pairs show improvement and secure at least 2 spots for next worlds, which will be at home.

I hope Amber Glenn absolutely slays! I expect Kaori to win, though.

Men- I want Jason to skate his best. I don't worry about his placement.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I'm over the moon that the men's SP is scheduled at a reasonable time in my time zone. As for the FS, at least it's on the weekend, so I might pull and all-nighter or wake up for the last groups, depending on the standings after the SP.

Last year's men's competition at Worlds was an absolute figure skating highlight, and sometimes I get a little worried that this year won't be able to top it. But then I remember that Yuma is back, skating great and very much in the fight for a medal, so that's already a big plus compared to last year for me. 😸 I'm also especially looking forward to Nik Memola's Worlds debut plus cheering extra hard for the central European lads Adam, Lukas...

I doubt I will follow the rest of the disciplines closely, the time zone is just too inconvenient and lately I don't have as much time for figure skating as I used to. But I will definitely go and watch some performances later, my Austrian skaters, LaLa, the German and Italian pairs...

In any case, I'm wishing good luck to all the competitors and that everyone is able to show their best!
Hoping to see lots of GoldenSkaters in the live discussion thread for men's and looking forward to your witty comments. 🌵

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm over the moon that the men's SP is scheduled at a reasonable time in my time zone. As for the FS, at least it's on the weekend, so I might pull and all-nighter or wake up for the last groups, depending on the standings after the SP.

Last year's men's competition at Worlds was an absolute figure skating highlight, and sometimes I get a little worried that this year won't be able to top it. But then I remember that Yuma is back, skating great and very much in the fight for a medal, so that's already a big plus compared to last year for me. 😸 I'm also especially looking forward to Nik Memola's Worlds debut plus cheering extra hard for the central European lads Adam, Lukas...

I doubt I will follow the rest of the disciplines closely, the time zone is just too inconvenient and lately I don't have as much time for figure skating as I used to. But I will definitely go and watch some performances later, my Austrian skaters, LaLa, the German and Italian pairs...

In any case, I'm wishing good luck to all the competitors and that everyone is able to show their best!
Hoping to see lots of GoldenSkaters in the live discussion thread for men's and looking forward to your witty comments. 🌵
So excited to see Adam, Lukas and Frangiboi for the first time ever live... :). I have seen many others already but not these three...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mark Gorodnitsky is going to compete for ISR instead of Lev Vinokur.

Mark is using Moonlight Sonata for his SP instead of a Scorpions tune.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt there will be many skaters there at that time either, particularly on Monday.
I won't be there at that hour on Monday...but that's because my flight from Las Vegas to Montreal takes off in the afternoon and lands in the evening, right when the men's group I want to see most is practicing! Thus, I'm hoping to get there that early on Tuesday morning..

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well well... now i am tempted with some practice sessions.... wondering how it happened that CAN skaters are always with POL skaters in all disciplines for practice

FSLover17

On the Ice
If P/C return I don't see Chock/Bates staying on for another two seasons to go for an olympic medal (that's not gold). Especially as they won't be able to win worlds or GPF. (And depending on the theme, are by no means guaranteed olympic medal - home olympics in Milan for Charlene and Marco, with potential themes suiting teams like Fear Gibson who are scoring higher every season).

That being said, looking on scores so far this season (and knowing what happened at least years world championship), I think barring disaster Chock/Bates have the championship in the bag
Hmmm, considering that Chock/Bates don't have an individual Olympic medal, I can see the prospect of silver/bronze being very lucrative!! But then again, they're getting married this summer and might have different goals going forward in their personal lives!

For those who are interested, I created a blog post that previews the Top 10 in Ice Dance for the 2024 Worlds: https://blissful-sarahtiwa1.wordpress.com/2024/03/16/2024-worlds-preview-ice-dance/. Would love for people to check it out! I'm also planning to create previews of the other three disciplines if I find the time but this one was the easiest 😂 though I know my pick for gold will be controversial....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hmmm, considering that Chock/Bates don't have an individual Olympic medal, I can see the prospect of silver/bronze being very lucrative!! But then again, they're getting married this summer and might have different goals going forward in their personal lives!

For those who are interested, I created a blog post that previews the Top 10 in Ice Dance for the 2024 Worlds: https://blissful-sarahtiwa1.wordpress.com/2024/03/16/2024-worlds-preview-ice-dance/. Would love for people to check it out! I'm also planning to create previews of the other three disciplines if I find the time but this one was the easiest 😂 though I know my pick for gold will be controversial....
Nicely written blog. I hope you are right about Piper and Paul winning it all ;) I am not as confident about it as you are but it would be a sensational way for them to finish (perhaps) their career with a gold on home soil. I will be cheering extra hard for them at the rink. I am also with you on La/La's potential for 2026. I think they will rise up quickly after this year's health issues.

FSLover17

On the Ice
Nicely written blog. I hope you are right about Piper and Paul winning it all ;) I am not as confident about it as you are but it would be a sensational way for them to finish (perhaps) their career with a gold on home soil. I will be cheering extra hard for them at the rink. I am also with you on La/La's potential for 2026. I think they will rise up quickly after this year's health issues.
This Worlds could be the final competition for a couple of these top NA teams potentially (thinking maybe Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen, Gilles/Poirier, or Chock/Bates) and that could be big for Marjorie & Zach! Unlike in the US where there are so many up and coming dance teams, Canada is stacked with dance talent but no couples (yet) strong enough to challenge La/La IMO if they were to rise up the national rankings. If they can put down a strong performance here, we might see a change in the guard.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This Worlds could be the final competition for a couple of these top NA teams potentially (thinking maybe Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen, Gilles/Poirier, or Chock/Bates) and that could be big for Marjorie & Zach! Unlike in the US where there are so many up and coming dance teams, Canada is stacked with dance talent but no couples (yet) strong enough to challenge La/La IMO if they were to rise up the national rankings. If they can put down a strong performance here, we might see a change in the guard.
yes. Fabbri/Ayer and La/Le as well as B/B are slightly behind LaLa. I was kind of expecting LaLa to get closer and closer to FBS before the concussion and of course, as we saw on the GP circuit, they are ready to overtake a team if the latter makes a mistake. I also think they have everything to please the judges and are more even than some of the other teams currently competing. Both of them are equally strong. LaLa for gold ! :) I know.. I am just a crazy fan !

FSLover17

On the Ice
yes. Fabbri/Ayer and La/Le as well as B/B are slightly behind LaLa. I was kind of expecting LaLa to get closer and closer to FBS before the concussion and of course, as we saw on the GP circuit, they are ready to overtake a team if the latter makes a mistake. I also think they have everything to please the judges and are more even than some of the other teams currently competing. Both of them are equally strong. LaLa for gold ! :) I know.. I am just a crazy fan !
They have what it takes that's for sure! IMO, what they need now is: 1) More refinement in their body positions and lines (specifically upper body - maybe more noticeable for Marjorie?) 2) Closer attention to detail in the footwork to get their levels (Marjorie can occasionally get Lvl4 but they both tend to be around Level 2/3 while the top 3 are more consistently at least Lvl3) 3) More connection to each other during the program (Zach is getting closer to matching her level in performance but I still don't get the sense that they are moving together as one).

They currently remind me of 2009/10 Davis/White with their interesting programs, speed across the ice and effortless lifts - definitely a compliment coming from me! Where D/W really improved over the following quad however was in Points 1 & 3 ^^ as that was where they were lacking in comparison to Virtue/Moir. The connection between them and patience of movement in their 2014 Rachmaninoff exhibition just wouldn't have been possible for 09/10 D/W and it's what La/La could really use in their current Roses FD. I'd love to see them make similar improvements in the push for Milano 2026.

sunshineifeelfine

Spectator
Hey,

I have a question please.

If I'm going on Thursday to the Men's Short Program (which is almost 6 hours long!) is it better to miss the beginning, or leave early at the end?

I know usually it's better to see the end because that's when the best skaters skate, but I heard at the Worlds it's organized by groups, and then by the rankings in each group, so the best skaters are evenly distributed in the groups.

Is there an advantage for either option, if I can't stay for it all?

Please let me know, thanks

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hey,

I have a question please.

If I'm going on Thursday to the Men's Short Program (which is almost 6 hours long!) is it better to miss the beginning, or leave early at the end?

I know usually it's better to see the end because that's when the best skaters skate, but I heard at the Worlds it's organized by groups, and then by the rankings in each group, so the best skaters are evenly distributed in the groups.

Is there an advantage for either option, if I can't stay for it all?

Please let me know, thanks
the better skaters are seeded... so though there is still a draw, most likely, the skaters without much ranking points will be skating first, leaving the stars for the later groups. You can also just wait to decide the day before or so : the starting orders will be published following the draw.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am trying to finalize my thoughts and predictions but still am trying to assess some questions.

Pairs in no order
  • I am expecting a hungry Deanna & Max to feed off a home crowd and do well.
  • I am expecting Minerva & Nikita to also do well.
  • Things get murkier here as Italy’s Conti/Macii are back on the rise and Beccari/Guarise are still riding the high from Euros, but for the later living up to that adds pressure and his lack of presentation in the free may not stand up well with other more charismatic teams.
  • Riku & Ryuchi have speed, charisma and great elements and are finally healthy again but without a lot of recent competition.
  • Emily & Spencer intrigue me with their charisma and skills. How healed is Spencer, has Emily been able to stabilize her jumps enough to put them in the mix.
  • I hope to also see Lia & Trennt feed off the home crowd and regain their consistency to put them into the mix as well.
  • Will the Georgians steady their nerves as senior competitor or will nerves be an issue again.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am trying to finalize my thoughts and predictions but still am trying to assess some questions.

Pairs in no order
  • I am expecting a hungry Deanna & Max to feed off a home crowd and do well.
  • I am expecting Minerva & Nikita to also do well.
  • Things get murkier here as Italy’s Conti/Macii are back on the rise and Beccari/Guarise are still riding the high from Euros, but for the later living up to that adds pressure and his lack of presentation in the free may not stand up well with other more charismatic teams.
  • Riku & Ryuchi have speed, charisma and great elements and are finally healthy again but without a lot of recent competition.
  • Emily & Spencer intrigue me with their charisma and skills. How healed is Spencer, has Emily been able to stabilize her jumps enough to put them in the mix.
  • I hope to also see Lia & Trennt feed off the home crowd and regain their consistency to put them into the mix as well.
  • Will the Georgians steady their nerves as senior competitor or will nerves be an issue again.
yeah.. pairs are very hard to predict... one mistake could keep someone off the podium... and we don't know how healthy or competition ready some of the top contenders are. I went with my heart on this one.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thoughts on men
  • Ilia on paper looks unstoppable if he executes, but boot issues may cause chaos if unresolved. While improved in style and presence, he is in tough company. His willpower may be a factor in how well he pushes through problems.
  • Yuma has been on a roll steadily improving in all areas and could play spoiler here as he has a technical edge on Shoma.
  • Shoma has the programs, experience and ability to come through, but can he hold off all the others in the technical area. He may feel pressure to be clean here with such a talented group.
  • Adam started the season as a firecracker and looked to be podium ready. If he has recovered confidence, technique nd figured out how to deal with pressure and expectations he could be on the podium.
  • I see Cha & Shaidorov as spoilers should any of the others falter.
  • I am uncertain how Brown & Pulkinen will fare. Can Jason accrue enough points or add some difficulty somewhere to bring his seasons best up. Can Camden be consistent technically and avoid some odd spin issues to also bring up his seasons best.
  • Will Wesley continue to be consistent for Canada and will Roman wow us with his mesmerizing programs buoyed by technical skills. Will he master any nerves and give us a skates forged from of pent -up frustration from many off-ice problems. I do hope so.
  • Which skaters will not make the cut for the free skate - there will be faves left behind I fear.