A fair way to pick GPF finalists? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

A fair way to pick GPF finalists?

moriel

Record Breaker
I also like the idea of running a FS for everybody involved right before the GPF. It would not add soooo much cost and the skaters wouldnt have to make much extra traveling etc.

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Use the SP scores, there's not much else we can do without ending the GP season for everyone.

Someone on tumblr suggested increasing the amount of qualifiers from 6 to 8 or even 10 - and I like that idea.

LRK

Record Breaker
Then he could have blamed only himself that he failed in SP.

So, does that mean that you would be fine with counting the SPs only for the entire GPs? Level playing field, and what-not?

Note: No, that is not my opinion, by the way. I'm not sure I have an opinion on what is best - or least bad - to do in this situation. Reading other people's suggestions, merely. I think though it's wrong to say that using the SPs only is in any way "fair", and the skaters can suit themeselves for skating poorly. Using the SPs for TEB only might be what will happen, and in that case will have to be dealt with. But that does not make it "fair".

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Use the SP scores, there's not much else we can do without ending the GP season for everyone.

Someone on tumblr suggested increasing the amount of qualifiers from 6 to 8 or even 10 - and I like that idea.

I agree that this idea is also a pretty good one.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
So, does that mean that you would be fine with counting the SPs only for the entire GPs? Level playing field, and what-not?

No, because the law shouldn't work back and had any effect on competitions that were run and finished fully.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would imagine the biggest problem with having these skaters attend an extra event is the expense. As I said, it is not a huge problem for the event itself to add skaters to the end of the lineup for scoring purposes only. I've had to perform as late as 1am when an event has had some kind of technical difficulty with the sound system, or scoring equipment. Buses show up to the wrong hotel and a team doesn't get to perform as they never get to the event.

It doesn't equate to terrorism but, these things happen at events. I just hope they find a best case scenario for all involved in this horrible situation. By the way, have we learned whether or not any skaters families or friends were involved in the events that night?

moriel

Record Breaker
No, because the law shouldn't work back and had any effect on competitions that were run and finished fully.

Well, we have still some GP events left, lets make only the SP count on those at least.
Also why not the past GPs? It is not like we selected the GPF skaters already and now take that away from them. Its not like we will strip medals. Just change the GPF selection criteria, which was not applied yet, so nothing going backwards.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
The fairest solution would probably be to repeat the whole event. Second best solution would be to at least give the skaters an opportunity to do their free skate. I really do not see either of those things happen because the biggest problems here are time and money (and as has been discussed in the other thread, for some there might come visa issues on top of that)

I'd take the SP scores as the final result for TEB, but also add more spots for the GPF. Maybe give the TEB skaters a wild card. If they come in 7th or 8th place overall, let them go to the finale. There will be additional costs, but it will be far less than if they were to repeat the whole event.

I'm not so much for the idea to juggle around with PBs or scores that have been earned in previous GPs or that will be earned at COR and NHK. There's a reason why people around here always argue about how scores from different competitions aren't really comparable.

I could also agree with this idea:
Take the top 6 based on results not including TEB. Then look at TEB competitors, and see whether they would have been placed above skater #6 *if they had won TEB*. If yes, add them to the final. If no, do not add them to the final. If that means there are, say, 9 men and 7 or 8 ladies in the final, fine.

But TBH, I think we have to say bye bye to the idea that there's actually a solution that will be 100% fair to everybody. They may come up with something that is a bit fairER, but I really think that's all we can hope for.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
I think this would be the only fair option. Not sure of the logistics (where would this be held, for instance) but they really ought to be given an opportunity to compete and get the real scores (not those based on SB or average or whatever). I also want to see them skate again before the final.

It's not like there's never been a LP only competition before (the Japan Open comes to mind).

Yeah. It'd be really hard since I'm sure the Barcelona venue is being used in the weeks before GPF. But ideally it should give the entrants enough time to rest before GPF if they qualify after the free skate.

Maybe they could do it in France again and dedicate the event to the memory of the injured and fallen and match the prize money in donations to help relief.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I don´t think we will reach a solution that will please everyone. Nor is in our hands, is in ISU´s hands.

If we repeat the entire event, and lest say Shoma bomb his programs it will be unfair to him because he already did a great job at TEB.

Also cost is a matter to discuss, if I remember correctly, the skater has to cover his coach expense every time he travels, acomodation is provided by the host country. And how are you gonna made sure everyone is free to run the event again.

I still think that cancelling the event was the sensible thing to do.

I think short program stands should be used to award points for GPF qualification, the reason why I think this way is because is my opinion the easiest, less complicated and until some point fair way to do it.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well, we have still some GP events left, lets make only the SP count on those at least.
Also why not the past GPs? It is not like we selected the GPF skaters already and now take that away from them. Its not like we will strip medals. Just change the GPF selection criteria, which was not applied yet, so nothing going backwards.

lol.

Noolan

On the Ice
Why not just take the FS score from the second GP event that each skater took part in (or will take part in)? That way it's not a random score, it's a score they've actually achieved during the GP. Seems like a pretty fair solution. Kind of.

humbaba

Final Flight
Unfortunately, every possible solution to this problem is unfair to someone, somehow. All the skaters at TEB had an equal chance to perform well in the SP. So any solution that scuttles the SP results would be very unfair to those who skated well in the short.

There has been some suggestion of adding the FS score from a skater's other GP to TEB's SP. This might be a workable, but it does have built in inequities. Counting one FS twice would magnify the effect of that one performance. It would be a boon to skaters who already had a strong FS score under their belts and a double whammy for those whose first GP FS was weak. Then some skaters at TEB have yet to compete in their second GP. There might be greater temptation for judges to massage the scores to the benefit of those they'd like to see in the GPF.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Why not just take the FS score from the second GP event that each skater took part in (or will take part in)? That way it's not a random score, it's a score they've actually achieved during the GP. Seems like a pretty fair solution. Kind of.

This also seems very fair, and practical, because we are using an actual SP and an actual LP score. Yes, there is a lot of variation between scores at different events but clearly there is no perfect solution here.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If we repeat the entire event, and lest say Shoma bomb his programs it will be unfair to him because he already did a great job at TEB.

But the job wasn't finished at TEB. Maybe Shoma would have bombed the FS (I hope not, but it might have happened). Equally, it is unfair to Aaron, Chan, etc to say: Sorry, we know you screwed up your SPs and at EVERY OTHER EVENT IN THE GP you would have a chance to improve but here you don't, suck it, you're stuck.

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I could not think of anyway to make it fair, except to perhaps expand the amount of competitors eligible for the Grand Prix finals. The could award half the points for the short program. I think Olympics should award medals for short program and long program separately and then also a combined medal. They do that for gymnastics, why not figure skating?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
There is no ideal solution since this is totally unprecedented. I would rather see an expanded field & some extra skaters getting in by default than to cancel the final altogether, as some have suggested. That would be so disheartening to everyone who fought for a place there, not to mention the fans. One major cancellation was enough. Some skaters could desperately use the prize money as well.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The bottom line if we are being totally honest and realistic is that there is no fair way to do this. There are various things that theoretically could be done that would be fair, but those are all unfeasible in reality.

I imagine the SP results will be used and we will all have to accept it. I don't think it's fair, but it is probably the fairest of the options that actually have any chance whatsoever of being implemented.

I do not accept the argument that you win or lose it in the SP in this day and age. It's just not true anymore. It is possible at times to lose it in the SP still, but that's only assuming everyone ahead of you delivers in the LP, and that is rare unfortunately.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do think an expanded GPF is the way to go. Perhaps make it that if you medalled at one event and TEB was your other event? tht would not add too many, would it?

Pasdedeux

Rinkside
I think the easieast way is to select based on sp results but let top 7 TEB participants in each discipline go. That would probably let in anyone who would have a realistic chance to qualify. Maybe the gpf would have to be extended by a day, maybe not, if they start early enough.

Last edited: