Artem Kovalev | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Artem Kovalev

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh wow! I’m glad. Thanks to this last minute addition, the spots are still up for grab for the finals. I was wondering why he didn’t get a 2nd spot. He skated poorly to his standards at the last event. But, still put up a decent score and a 4th place finish isn’t bad. He has a chance, but, needs to probably win gold or silver and put up a decent score. Which, he is capable of doing.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
He still has a chance. But it was his free that failed him, so… 🙏 he needs silver and 144 min score to make the final I think. Biting nails!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Linz FP

Medal Ceremony

Final JGP for Artem and he left with a medal 🥈 Congrats :hap10:

Reactions: LRK

LRK

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Artem! He kept it tgether so much better this time - alas for the pop, but next time I hope he'll do even better.

He was so close to the JGPF - but he seemed to be enjoying himself at the medal ceremony, which was good to see.:)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Artem will skate at Santa Claus Cup, Dec 6th - 10th. The Hungarian Fed has their own YT page, so look for streams there https://youtu.be/5AqcUr3Wx24

Also congrats on Artem winning the last cup event. Since Samsonov didn't compete at his GP events, I believe Artem would take his spot as the last qualifier to nationals.

Here are his skates from Perm

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Artem is on the preliminary roster for Senior Nats. Going into Nats, he has senior minimums for E/O/W and junior minimums for JW if he makes any of those.

Currently he is the 12th Russian man on the SB list with 221.51 and will enter next season with 632 WR points unless he qualifies for a championship. SB would need to rise quite a bit to get a Senior GP.

Good luck to Artem at both Senior/Junior nationals!!!

ETA: Artem has a TikTok. I've discovered he has a "boo" :ROFLMAO: 👩‍❤️‍👨 Although I wish he would put more dance videos instead of jump videos cause this is golden --> https://www.instagram.com/p/CKDwIqkJXeo/

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Live broadcast

Protocol

1640271336224.png

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not bad but I agree with Ted on the quality issues. Good luck to Artem tomorrow!! Tight standings, I hope he can at least hold top 10.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not a bad effort from Artem!!! 12th place!!! I'm happy and it's funny how he has the 12th highest SB among the Russians 😁 Good luck to him at Junior Nationals :jump: Until then 👋 Happy Holidays everyone!

1640379687032.png

Live broadcast FP

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bronze!!!! 🥉 Congrats to Artem. Not the best skated FP but he stayed on the podium :jump:

1642785149506.png

- I'm happy with the place and the 50-50 performance. The short program was a good success, the free skate was worse. There was no speed, the spins were slow and the jumps were disrupted. Today I rate on a 10-point scale a 3. I am glad that I became the third, but I understand that the points are very small. All the guys skated imperfectly. And how we can deal with our rivals at the Junior World Championships, with Ilya Malinin, I do not really understand yet... But here everyone has to do their own thing. As the line-up for the YJWCH is determined, certainty will appear, and it will be possible to prepare calmly. Here, of course, everyone was very worried, nervous, wanted. Any qualifying start is always quite exciting, but you need to gain experience.

“I'm glad that I got into the top three, it's good. But the question is how the federation will decide who to send to the world championship, who not. In any case, you need to wait for their decision. Today I could not cope with my nerves, I understand that this is not an excuse, but it turned out what happened. There were no problems during the preparation, I went out yesterday very calmly. I understood that with a good free program you can compete for the first place. Win back your positions, as it happened with Maxim Belyavsky. I went to the free program, knowing that the guys skated very badly. I understood that I needed to roll back by 142 points, and at the Russian Championship I had 161 points without one element. And theoretically, this can be done safely. I never set myself up for this, I wanted to do everything cleanly - and then they would put it there.

Usually I ride without nerves, but today it was stressful. It was hard enough to tune in, although yesterday I rode calmly. For my own pleasure, I got high from the rental. There was stress, and the task was to overcome it. The guys who say they plug their ears don't know the points - this is nonsense. All the same, a person hears, and most often after the free skate. After the short, it doesn't matter. I skated and went to rest. I was on the drum, to be honest. Today I knew that my opponents received little, and I saw on the monitor the amount I needed for leadership. When I looked at the time It didn't relax me, but I couldn't stop thinking about these ratings. Perhaps it was worth simplifying the rental, and after the first jump I thought what to do. Go to salchow or not. I was sure that I would do it, and therefore I took a chance,” said Kovalev.

1642784811285.png1642784961761.png1642784922686.png

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ugh, just read that no, Artem is not going to JW. Another qualifying competition to take place. What the heck is the expanded team? I would think this is in regards to the men for sure.
“According to the results of the Russian junior championship that ended in Saransk, the team will not be formed to participate in the JWC 2022 in Sofia. The expanded team will be announced before February 14. When forming the final version, the results of the Russian Cup Final, which will be held in Saransk in February, will be taken into account. Particular attention will be paid to the selection of juniors who did not even demonstrate last year's level at the Russian championship," Yermolina said.

Another article

The men's team for the Junior World Figure Skating Championships will be named after the Russian Cup final

The composition of the Russian men's figure skating team for the Junior World Cup will be announced after the final of the Cup of the country

The Federation refused to form the final line-up following the results of the Russian championship due to the unsatisfactory results of all single skaters.

At the junior championship held in Saransk, the top three included Ilya Yablokov (Moskvich), Nikolai Ugozhaev (Tamara Moskvina's SC) and Artem Kovalev (Alexander Volkov's academy). However, none of them showed clean skates, and the champion Yablokov scored 227.99 points and in the free program made only two jump elements out of seven.

It's also on the Federation's website about the expanded team and this is only for men but nothing in details what that means. Gleb was missing, that's hardly an expansion though. Unless they are considering age eligible guys who competed in Seniors?!? Ugh.

In any event, good luck to Artem at the finals! Hope he can get his nerves under control.

ETA: Now that I think about it unless they send Ugozhaev, Dikidjhi, Belyavsky somewhere in the next week or 2, or invite Danielian/Vetlugin to join the fun there are only 8 guys with minimums vying for 3 spots, realistically only 6 (I don't think they will send Zonov or Fedorov), the other guys with minimums have better things to do (Olympics) or haven't skated this season. So there still is a good chance to snag a spot but Artem needs to control his nerves.

Last edited: