Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2014 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2014

Kuan

Final Flight
Thank you. Much shorter than I
expected. She seemed to grew a lot during last lear.

Kuan

Final Flight
Park So Youn SP
Kim Hae Jin SP

Massive combo from So Youn and that fall looked interesting. :unsure:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
yeah, the combo music timing is better than practice, actually perfect. I guess the mistake in lutz is due to music timing as well, she wanted to jump to the music and also a bit nervous, so, a botched jump. I guess. So Youn's lutz jump is not that consistent, however, she always wanna add something to it, last season, she added a inna bauer before lutz and failed many times.

EDIT: Haejin's choreo is really good, and she performed it well, and I like her SP ending, better than SoYoun's (IMHO), other than that, both music are difficult music to skate to. and the choreo reflected the subtle difference of the music and the quality of the 2 girls.
I like SoYoun's music editing. and her step sequence music is more difficult than Haejin's.

bluelutz

On the Ice
Hae Jin's program is beautiful, and she got a delightfully feminine style to watch as usual. However, she is not going anywhere without fixing her under-rotation issue, and more power over all. So Youn's performance was not so bad, but still I got the impression that she moved/danced too slow to the music. Since they still have a few months to prepare for their first GPS, they can polish their goods though I do not think they will do too well there. Hae Jin's SP combo 3T+3T, and So Youn's 3S+3T will not take them too far as most of top ladies now perform 3Lz+3T or 3F+3T in their SP. I think So Youn will place somewhere in the middle at US and Russia, probably 5-9ish, and Hae Jin lower than that. Fortunately since these two are top two Korean skaters, most likely they will compete at 4CC and the Worlds again to gain enough points to go back to GPS in the next year as well. To be honest, I can not expect too much out of Hae Jin because of her Jump issues, but I hope at least So Youn will develop enough to represent Korea well at their first winter Oly games, otherwise they might force Yuna to make a come back.

Miss October

Rinkside
Guys, did we just break the Chinese Taipei figure skating association's website by our incessant checking and rechecking for posted protocols?!?!?! :p

andyjo24

Medalist
Can someone please explain to me why So Youn only received a 47 for her PCS? IMO, she is supposed to be a 55-60 PCS skater......

jkun

Final Flight
So Youn apparently got like 47 for PCS and 64 for TES..

:/ you'd think she'd be deserving of around 55-60 by now. I will just assume PCS was given low because it is a low-level event and hope for better during the grand prix circuit.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Can someone please post SoYoun's LP, according to repo, it is really well received, the best LP of the night.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Can someone please explain to me why So Youn only received a 47 for her PCS? IMO, she is supposed to be a 55-60 PCS skater......

:/ you'd think she'd be deserving of around 55-60 by now. I will just assume PCS was given low because it is a low-level event and hope for better during the grand prix circuit.
I didn't see the program so I can't tell, but I guess that the judges were simply not impressed by her presentation and that they (luckily) didn't base their scores on reputation but on the actual skate (which is something that they RARELY do!)... The fact that she had a wonderful FS at Worlds that deserved 55 PCS doesn't mean that she' a "55-60 PCS skater", this is a whole new program (with different TR and CH) and this was a whole different performance, it is actually possible that she landed the jumps but didn't "sell" the program; then of course in low-level competition PCS scores are usually lower than in higher-level competitions (for example JGP vs Senior competitions). Again, this is just my guess, when we see the performance we can judge of course

Kuan

Final Flight
Can someone please post SoYoun's LP, according to repo, it is really well received, the best LP of the night.

I am searching for it, but it isn´t uploaded yet :scowl: All I have for you are some short clips of her step seq and her first Lutz during her practice.

andyjo24

Medalist
I didn't see the program so I can't tell, but I guess that the judges were simply not impressed by her presentation and that they (luckily) didn't base their scores on reputation but on the actual skate (which is something that they RARELY do!)... The fact that she had a wonderful FS at Worlds that deserved 55 PCS doesn't mean that she' a "55-60 PCS skater", this is a whole new program (with different TR and CH) and this was a whole different performance, it is actually possible that she landed the jumps but didn't "sell" the program; then of course in low-level competition PCS scores are usually lower than in higher-level competitions (for example JGP vs Senior competitions). Again, this is just my guess, when we see the performance we can judge of course

Yes, her actual performance might not have been good, but I don't still see how she can get lower than 50 for the PCS with a solid technical performance. And also, based on reports, the Japanese ladies received 7-8 points more than So Youn. Not really sure if that difference is right, but I guess we'll have to see until the videos come out.

Kuan

Final Flight
:laugh: I do... But I don´t know Korean as well. I am just searching with Hangul that looks familiar to me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wouldn't worry too much about PCS at this point. We all know by now that PCS can be highly inconsistent depending on the judging panel. The TES can be too, but it at least gives a better indication, IMO.

I'd say if she is in the low 60s and not even getting her combo out yet, that is encouraging. It's a summer comp, plus So Youn, from what I can see is not an early season skater. She totally bombed her JGP competition last summer but then rocked it in the fall to get a spot on the Olympics/Worlds team.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim couldn't do a triple loop, let alone 3lz-3lo combo. Maybe Yuna Aoki will become even greater and more successful than Yuna Kim. :love:
Hmm. People still like to conveniently forget that Yuna used to be able to do a 3Lo until 2009ish.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
There is a HD close-up video of SoYoun's SP, after watching that, I find that her movement is indeed too soft for some music, need to be more fierce. also she made a mistake in her step-sequence. Her spins really need some work. But other than that, I also discovered some genius in choreo, pay attention to the weak percussion instrument in the background and how her choreo interprets it.
from all the video clips available, every move (including cross-overs and transitions right before a tech element) has music purpose, very sophisticated choreo, trademark of Wilson's work.
In comparison, Haejin's performance has some really nice moments, her flirty/sultry/fierce matched music really well, but some moves seems random especially before a tech-element may due to the limitation of her tech ability.