Can Chan be on the top again? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can Chan be on the top again?

noskates

Record Breaker
I think he can. I would love to see Patrick work with Brian but I seriously doubt Brian would take on yet another elite skater in the men's field. Somebody would lose out for sure. There's only so much time in the day. I look forward to seeing Patrick compete again. He has it all.

kresslia

Medalist
Of course he can. He still could have won this year's Worlds with a couple mistakes.

It's Chan vs. Hanyu vs. Fernandez vs. Denis, but Chan and Hanyu still have the advantage. In the inconsistent men's field, any of those four can come out on top.

I don't think Brian is a realistic possibility. Hanyu and Fernandez would no doubt be pissed.

And all of y'all criticizing Chan for his unclean skates need to take a look at your little star, Hanyu. I adore Hanyu and he's potentially my favourite male skater atm, but when was the last time he put two clean skates together?

Last edited:

TheCzar

On the Ice
Absolutely. Yuzuru was always going to be held up because technically he's the best. Chan's artistry however is well respected and if he returns in great form and with just as fine a program, there's no reason why he couldn't stay in the Top 3. You have to remember, Fernandez is as unpredictable as Denis Ten. It's wonderful that Javier won this year because he was great, but that was like what, 1 of three or so performances all year? The same goes for Denis. Chan's performance will likely always be superior to Ten.

So long as he can land his Axel (and doesn't run his mouth) Patrick will be fine. There's no threat really. If he comes back next season, it'll be Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez and Ten at the top.

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree that Hanyu pretty much has the judges buffaloed. I think he "skates" by and gets a lot of free passes. I don't agree that he's technically the best. I think he's very, very good but has poor posture, rarely skates clean, and I would put him as unpredictable as Ten and Fernandez. Patrick is a more complete skater - much like Denis and Javi. Hanyu has the jumps. I've really missed Patrick this year.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Random thought, if Patrick went to Lee Barkell (Nobunari Oda's coach) then he'd be at the Cricket Club too with Yuzuru, Javi and Nam. I highly doubt he would make this change, it doesn't seem like he wants to be in that kind of environment but it'd be interesting to see how they would push him.

ks777

Record Breaker
Random thought, if Patrick went to Lee Barkell (Nobunari Oda's coach) then he'd be at the Cricket Club too with Yuzuru, Javi and Nam. I highly doubt he would make this change, it doesn't seem like he wants to be in that kind of environment but it'd be interesting to see how they would push him.

He could go to Doug Lee(Honda's old coach) or Peter Dunfield(Yuka and Manley's coach) if he wants to stay in Canada. I think if he is serious about getting a consistent 3axel, he should go to Arutyunyan but he might be way too busy.

Flaya

Match Penalty
And all of y'all criticizing Chan for his unclean skates need to take a look at your little star, Hanyu. I adore Hanyu and he's potentially my favourite male skater atm, but when was the last time he put two clean skates together?

When is the last time Chan skated anything cleanly?

Vancouver games, failure... given the 5th place coz the games were in Vancouver.
London WC failure... given the 1st place coz the WC was in Canada.
Sochi games...failure given the 2nd place based on his federation.

If Chan was representing, as example, Taiwan... it would have been a different story.
And of course, just like in the case of other big federations...his "advantage" are the PCS scores as technically he is not that strong.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2013/SEG002.HTM

At least Hanyu is entertaining but I give you one thing, I also want a clean skate from someone winning the Worlds/Olympics in men, falls should be more penalized than they currently are. ;)

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

Vancouver games, failure... given the 5th place coz the games were in Vancouver.

If Chan was representing, as example, Taiwan... it would have been a different story.
And of course, just like in the case of other big federations...his "advantage" are the PCS scores as technically he is not that strong.

At least Hanyu is entertaining but I give you one thing, I also want a clean skate from someone winning the Worlds/Olympics in men, falls should be more penalized than they currently are. ;)

He was awesome and clean at TEB 2013 iifc ;)

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I agree that Hanyu pretty much has the judges buffaloed. I think he "skates" by and gets a lot of free passes. I don't agree that he's technically the best. I think he's very, very good but has poor posture, rarely skates clean, and I would put him as unpredictable as Ten and Fernandez. Patrick is a more complete skater - much like Denis and Javi. Hanyu has the jumps. I've really missed Patrick this year.
Yuzuru is not only jumps, he has great spins and SS too.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

The last time he competed and won decisively - Japan Open 2014. In Japan.

ISU TEB 2013, breaking world records. In France.

So when was the last time Hanyu skated cleanly? I believe the Worlds SP was the only program he skated cleanly in a long time.

World Championships, 2011. First place with 3 world records. Because it was in Russia?

World Championships, 2013. First place because it was in France?

Hanyu won Sochi Olympics despite multiple falls. Because he was entertaining?

At least Hanyu is entertaining but I give you one thing, I also want a clean skate from someone winning the Worlds/Olympics in men, falls should be more penalized than they currently are.

Well, Hanyu had 2 falls and Chan had none at the Sochi Olympics.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
..and so the Chan vs Hanyu wars begin.
Begin? I don't think it ever really stopped, just took a hiatus, lol.

I have to admit that Chan was amazing at the Japan Open and I thought I was going to miss him this season. But then so many of the guys stepped up this season, so I didn't really miss him. But he will certainly bring some drama and put his foot in his mouth again, unless he's grown up a bit in his time off.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
...and so the Chan vs Hanyu wars begin.

The rivalry began 2 years ago, with a break this season. It will resume.

If you're referring to my reply to Flaya, I just don't like non fact based bold declarations go undisputed. Reality is that few Men are consistent these days because they are pushing limits.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
It will be entertaining next season. At least here on forum :popcorn: But it never gets boring here tbh :laugh2:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
World Championships, 2011. First place with 3 world records. Because it was in Russia?

World Championships, 2013. First place because it was in France?

Hanyu won Sochi Olympics despite multiple falls. Because he was entertaining?

2013 wasn't exactly in France, was it? ;) Now I'm not sure if you mean 2012 or 2013, but both might not be the best examples since Chan won both with falls, but I guess you mean 2012 because it wasn't in Canada? Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious Chan isn't owning his medals to all the competitions being held in Canada.

Anyway, please don't really let it slip in a Hanyu vs Chan fan war - both have their inconsistencies, they're not exactly outshining one another in that regard.