Doubts over GP Final: Cancelled | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Doubts over GP Final: Cancelled

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don‘t believe these are the same things.

You can’t plan for what happened in 2015. You can plan to have your events where the government won’t get in your way.

We got to see Kamila’s all time great weekend last week. And we will see the ladies at Russian nationals.

This event was just going to be an appetizer.

So we will be skipping the appetizer and going directly to the main cours.
I know you only watch the ladies, but there were to be other events which will not be played out at Russian Nationals and many of us were looking forward to them.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I saw GP’s this year where jumps were missed. Incompetence has nothing to do with remote. Haha

Still haven’t figured out how you can miss something in skating when there is only one person you need to follow, I mean, it takes skill to be that bad.
Its easy! At the US quals last year, one person who didnt understand there was a zoom button on the cameras shot half the vids in low resolution! ;)
Seriously, We watching Peacock have a much better view than those judges when the skater is far away from them, and they have replay on tiny computer screens that wont show a jump landing as good as we are seeing on the Peacock replay with a competent video editor person who has at least 4 cameras to chose from. And we are watching on a big screen TVs. I totally get how a judge can miss a mistake.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Its easy! At the US quals last year, one person who didnt understand there was a zoom button on the cameras shot half the vids in low resolution! ;)
Seriously, We watching Peacock have a much better view than those judges when the skater is far away from them, and they have replay on tiny computer screens that wont show a jump landing as good as we are seeing on the Peacock replay with a competent video editor person who has at least 4 cameras to chose from. And we are watching on a big screen TVs. I totally get how a judge can miss a mistake.
Amazing.

You were one step away from being a judge. Haha

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just think they should do away with the 3 per country rule for Golden Spin so senior GPF qualifiers could enter if they wanted to. Obviously, visa rules differ so some would not be able to on such short notice but others might.

ETA: Tagging something onto Golden Spin could have been a contingency plan prolonging the competition a few days.
Golden Spin entries have been closed for awhile.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know you only watch the ladies, but there were to be other events which will not be played out at Russian Nationals and many of us were looking forward to them.
That is certainly the case. This cancellation does sting more if you aren’t getting a rain check. It sucks to be sure.

The fans of the Russian ladies are fortunate because we will get the main event. And we have 3 weeks to be whipped into a frenzy. Come show time, the anticipation will be at a boiling point.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
How can they hold the Olympics?
The Tokyo Olympics was already delayed for 1 year, from 2020 to 2021.

Even in 2021, Japan was reluctant to hold it but IOC has the final say on Olympics not the host country. If Japan postponed the Olympics again, they would have had to pay a very hefty penalty. There was a lot of debates & news on this the few months before Aug 2021.

From what I've read( including from Japanese citizens in Japan) the Japanese in general were not happy with the decision to go ahead with the Olympics despite rising cases.

In the case of GPF, it's a smaller competition than Olympics.

If you're talking about 2022 Olympics, China is holding it not Japan. At this point looks like China will go ahead with it unless a massive earthquake( above 6.0) happens at the venues shortly before the event.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
It's not realistic to have a parallel venue ready for each competition, but I think it would've been good to have an alternative venue for a later date already discussed. They could have said, You know what, it cannot be held now, and we know it's not ideal, but we took into account the possibility of sudden cancellation and we already have this country willing to host it the beginning of March or middle of April or what have you. Instead of being, Yeah, we'll do our best. As in more clarity.

I hope counties like Italy, Hungary, Russia, or even Estonia, if they wish, will be willing to host (these are part of the ones who showed willingness after CoC was cancelled). We know we won't have the ideal GPF, but I think it's worth having it later. At least it's the right thing to do for skaters who'd still wish to participate (they earned it). It would also show seriousness from ISU's part in wanting the sport to keep getting visibility after the Olympics.

Jadeice

Rinkside
The ISU is not seriously considering holding the GPF at the end of the season instead? That has got to be just some empty, vague talk to appease everyone?
It would be highly anticlimactic after all the big comps (should they still take place), nevermind skaters only peak at certain points in the season and no one's going to gear up again after Nats, Olympics and/or Worlds. The Final has its place in the season as a culminating event to the GP, giving skaters a chance to up their reputation, compete against their (currently?) biggest rivals leading up to the bigger events.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The ISU is not seriously considering holding the GPF at the end of the season instead? That has got to be just some empty, vague talk to appease everyone?
It would be highly anticlimactic after all the big comps (should they still take place), nevermind skaters only peak at certain points in the season and no one's going to gear up again after Nats, Olympics and/or Worlds. The Final has its place in the season as a culminating event to the GP, giving skaters a chance to up their reputation, compete against their (currently?) biggest rivals leading up to the bigger events.
It makes sense for JGPF. The junior division needs that one extra competition particularly after the last season when they lost both JGP and JWC. Imo, JGPF at the end of the season would be nice after the seniors duked it out, because it would be all the different faces and it would be like a window into the next season.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I wonder how many injuries and how much long term damage could be prevented if it were possible to provide skaters padding for all the falls they take...
I believe helmets were seriously discussed after the J. Paul Binnebose accident.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Helmets can only stop part of impact concussions. They can't stop whiplash concussions. They are only part of the puzzle.
yes, they are only part of the puzzle... but they should be implemented already... it wouldn't prevent all injuries but it may have very significant benefits for some athletes... one less concussion would already be meaningful

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For me, we can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If helmets and padding can help, then helmets and padding it is.

I am old enough to remember NHL players without helmets. I even remember one or two goalies without face masks, let alone helmets:eek2: Folks weren't happy at the introduction of mandatory helmets. Can't see the players' faces, cuts down on peripheral vision, won't stop serious injuries, and even just let the manly men be manly men and play hockey.:sneaky:

Fans learned to deal. :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It is just like with everything. Those who learned to figure skate and competed without PPE would find it hard to adapt. Those who start with it, will find it natural. As for FS fans, given that people still miss 6.0 system and even compulsory figures, they will endlessly complain about the lack of skaters in three feathers, two ounces of crystals and a slip of spandex.

Hopefully, it will help WIP deal with the hypocrisy of figure skating that pretends that falls and pain don’t exist until they leave K&C