Eurovision 2023 | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Eurovision 2023

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Thank you, @labgoat ! Two hours later, I'm hooked and I'm watching a concert on YouTube slowly falling in love with barefooted girls who are doing jazz-rock-very-slightly-folk in Czech language, which is same Vesna a few years earlier. If you want me to share the link,
here you go

Eurovision is many things, but when we get to the part where music is not hair extensions, where music is feeling... Then things start getting awesome :love:

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Seeing this thread now, all I can say is that you needed a fellow Swede in the discussion!

That being said, I wanted Finland to win!! It was so much more fun than our entry. :( But I guess this contest is not always about the fun...it's about the music? :unsure:

yesterday

Record Breaker
Seeing this thread now, all I can say is that you needed a fellow Swede in the discussion!

That being said, I wanted Finland to win!! It was so much more fun than our entry. :( But I guess this contest is not always about the fun...it's about the music? :unsure:
ahaha.. maybe it *was* about the music a while ago, but nowadays... it's not. Not so much. You can categorize some of the participants though. So some songs really stand out because they are good music-, but sometimes not presentation-wise. Most of the time they don't win or get very far.

Then there's songs where you really have a lot to look at, but they feel "artificial", like especially made for this one evening and not "round" as a piece of music.

But ofc, it's a show and can be enjoyed without those thoughts and gives you an evening full of entertainment and craziness.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
My two cents: the Eurovision Song Contest is about a >3 min piece of music that Europe falls in love with during one specific evening in May.

That's the format. In everything else, this is the usual no-business-like-show-business: some music, some vanity etc., etc.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Overall it's pretty trashy (at least since I know it), but after hating it during my youth (my best friend loved it) I can now see the fun in it. You don't have to have too high expectations regarding music. There are some really good songs, but a lot are extremely average to bad. The singers are often better than the songs, in my opinion.
I really liked Stefania from last year... but it was never played on the radio. Snap on the other hand, which got like 17th or something, became a huge radio hit after a few months. Those stories are funny and show how much tastes differ and what works on a stage like that isn't the same that works well on the radio - of course it's increasingly also a question of marketing and social media (tiktok) compatibility. On the other hand the "vote for your neighbours" seems to have lessened a bit, at least that's my impression.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I really liked Stefania from last year... but it was never played on the radio. Snap on the other hand, which got like 17th or something, became a huge radio hit after a few months. Those stories are funny and show how much tastes differ and what works on a stage like that isn't the same that works well on the radio - of course it's increasingly also a question of marketing and social media (tiktok) compatibility. On the other hand the "vote for your neighbours" seems to have lessened a bit, at least that's my impression.
You know, the media landscape is changing. As streaming platforms rise in importance, the radio becomes a conservative medium. Yes, we still have radio hits but today, there is more than that. We have YouTube sensations, Spotify streaming record breakers, TikTok stars... there is a lot. You can tell from Brits, from how their attitude has changed. British pop music dominated the European radio charts for decades and they laughed at Eurovision because they did not need it. Today, they seriously discuss how to succeed in Eurovision and Eurovision songs go places in the British top 10:

icewhite

Record Breaker
You know, the media landscape is changing. As streaming platforms rise in importance, the radio becomes a conservative medium. Yes, we still have radio hits but today, there is more than that. We have YouTube sensations, Spotify streaming record breakers, TikTok stars... there is a lot. You can tell from Brits, from how their attitude has changed. British pop music dominated the European radio charts for decades and they laughed at Eurovision because they did not need it. Today, they seriously discuss how to succeed in Eurovision and Eurovision songs go places in the British top 10:

I know that radio is an old fashioned medium but Eurovision songs are more likely here to be played on the radio than to become streaming hits.

Streaming hits in Germany are 80% German rap now. Okay, Loreen made it on place 35 in 2023, but she was already known before. Non German rap popular (streamed) songs this year here come from David Kushner, Tiesto, Miley Cyrus, Eminem, The Weeknd... so mostly a mix of American soft pop and American rap-pop.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I know that radio is an old fashioned medium but Eurovision songs are more likely here to be played on the radio than to become streaming hits.

Streaming hits in Germany are 80% German rap now. Okay, Loreen made it on place 35 in 2023, but she was already known before. Non German rap popular (streamed) songs this year here come from David Kushner, Tiesto, Miley Cyrus, Eminem, The Weeknd... so mostly a mix of American soft pop and American rap-pop.
It's different in each country, which I think is normal because the musical landscape and the perception of Eurovision is different in each country. Earlier in this thread, we discussed how Kaarija outstreamed Loreen in Sweden. In some countries, people stream the Eurovision songs while in others they play them on the radio. I think this is the good thing about Eurovision that there is something for everyone.

For a more general review though, here is the official brand impact report from EBU:

https://eurovision.tv/story/eurovis...xt=A total of 25% of,(Italy, placed 4th) 139M