Evan v. Johnny in Spokane | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evan v. Johnny in Spokane

kareliz

Rinkside
I would definitely give Johnny the edge - cleaner axel, more centered jumps.

Johnny was a bit slow, but Evan was a bit wild and uncontrolled in his movements.

I am glad to hear that someone who was there felt that Evan was faster and had a better performance quality. In other words, that there was some fair justification for the result, since I was yelling a cussword at my TV last night. I would prefer that Johnny wins, but if he doesn't, I really want it to be fair and square, not because it's Evan's turn, or because the powers that be think Evan will be a nicer champion who "takes it seriously." That just makes me mad to hear that Evan said that. I really like him, too, but Johnny's smoothness, gorgeous line, plus the landing postion and run out on his jumps, have me very much rooting for him.

They are both terrific skaters. May the best skating (not the nicest, most PC guy) win.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I started a thread almost a full year ago I thought this would happen. I am no Evan fan, nor a big Johnny supporter for that matter. However I already sensed the USFSA 's backing was shifting towards Evan, and the powers that be of U.S skating would want this result. I agree with an earlier posters, despite the short program being so close Johnny will need a quad and a clean skate, with Evan making a couple glaring mistakes for the judges to give Johnny the title. Look for Evan to be rewarded with some astronomical, even humorously high PCS for his Carmen tommorow.

Ausrick

Rinkside
Was was the snippy remark Weir said about Evan? I missed it but my friend said Weir made a catty remark.

Possibly when Johnny said in the post-SP interview something to the effect that "I don't want to keep doing the same program till I'm 50" ? Innocent enough comment I guess, but he did then send a long side-ways glance towards Evan...hehe.

dutchherder

Final Flight
I thought both guys skated well last night, but not their best. Both looked a little tentative to me. I thought Johnny looked a bit slow-- particularly during his footwork. I think I would agree with the judges and give slight advantage to Evan. Fact of the matter is that I really like both of them, so either way, I'm happy! :agree:

dutchherder

Final Flight
Oh, yeah, what do you think Johnny said right at the end of the program? I was trying to read his lips, but ... well, I won't type what I thought he said. ;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:chorus: What, what? I just checked it out on you toob, but I couldn't make it out!

You couldn't make that out hunh???:laugh: :laugh:

Johnny was great to see get what he did as well as Evan, maybe not "full" potential, but better than in a long time, Evan's was a monkey off his back.

My Choir teacher was such a perfectionist in practice because he believed that the "chance" that anyone would perform "their best" during a performance was unheard of. So you practice your best and hope that you can come as close to that when the curtain rises.:agree:

momjudi

On the Ice
I fear the only way Johnny is going to win his fourth title is if Evan falls on his butt more then once. The judges obviously love Evan and want to reward him for being the "good boy". There's something wrong when Evan can constantly cheat his 3A and not get downgraded for it. Dick Button remarks on it every time, Evan starts rotating before he leaves the ice, that's not an axle, it's a forward entry jump and Evan is rarely in the forward position when he leaves the ice.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder if what Johnny said was something in Russian? He was thanking everyone in Russian after his skate... just a thought ;)

Linny

Final Flight
'til he's 40

My husband and I say the same catty remark to each other - we're sure glad Johnny isn't going to do the same tired program 'till he's 40. I think Evan should be penalized in the long for boring us to death.
Linny

Ausrick

Rinkside
40 or 50, meme chose :)

I think Evan should be penalized in the long for boring us to death.Linny

hey ! I'm with you :laugh:

This battle is fascinating to me, especially when I know next to nothing about FS, but I'm happy to go along with that very impressive commentator, judge and analyst EWalker -

Evan: Clean, but uninspired
Johnny: He is really attacking this program..it'll be close.

This contest is intriguing on so many levels; not just the individual skating competition between the two, but the obvious personal enmity, and the politics behind it all. Just who will represent the US - the neo-con Evan "I'd be proud to represent my country" or the 'flamboyant ' Johnny "I'm moving to Russia.."

If any of you still wonder what's going to get FS a bigger audience, then I wonder how you fail to see the obvious.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I fear the only way Johnny is going to win his fourth title is if Evan falls on his butt more then once. The judges obviously love Evan and want to reward him for being the "good boy". There's something wrong when Evan can constantly cheat his 3A and not get downgraded for it. Dick Button remarks on it every time, Evan starts rotating before he leaves the ice, that's not an axle, it's a forward entry jump and Evan is rarely in the forward position when he leaves the ice.

I fear the same thing, too. It seems that unless Evan makes a big mess in his LP, and Johnny skates extraordinarily well, Evan will be crowned this time.

But one thing we have to accept is that Evan is going to skate his old program from last year (safe, but boring), and he has had many successes from this program. He is so well prepared. Johnny, on the other hand, is going to skate his new program (praise for his willingness to do new things every year), and he didn't have time to polish it that much. That will certainly make difference. What can we expect?

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Unless he doesn't bomb totally, Lysacek will win this thing. It's already decided by the USFSA, a "political" move, so to speak.

Candies for Lysacek - no matter what. I smell a rotten apple here!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the thing that gets me is, IF the USFSA has already decided who won why does it always come down to the skater? People don't 'take it out' on those that had the power, but on the skater. It just doesn't make sense on any level to me.

Ausrick

Rinkside
Germanice said:
Lysacek will win this thing. It's already decided by the USFSA, a "political" move, so to speak.

Tonichelle said:
IF the USFSA has already decided who won ....

So, are you guys saying that the current judges have been influenced, either subtley (by way of threat of security of future positions) or less subtley (by way of a brown-paper bag full of readies passed under a table or two )?

Just endlessly fascinated by it all, really ..:)

Is this the 21st century version of 'The Whack !' ?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no it's not a new version... judges pre-determining the outcome has been in the sport since day one...

as for me, I really don't think Evan is the pre-determined winner so much as the USFSA's hope... I want to believe that they are going to judge tonights competition fairly... I do think that Evan and Johnny are so evenly matched that it'll take a lot of nitpicking to really decide who wins...

scorekeeper

On the Ice
Unless he doesn't bomb totally, Lysacek will win this thing. It's already decided by the USFSA, a "political" move, so to speak.

Candies for Lysacek - no matter what. I smell a rotten apple here!

I have to agree. The USFSA is still pretty conservative and Weir is probably too irreverent for their taste. And I suspect there's an element of homphobia in there as well. Add to that Lysacek's higher finishes at Worlds and Olympics...I think they've decided that they'd rather have him be the next US champ and will hold him up as much as they can possibly get away with. I like Lysacek, but I thought his SP was a little sloppy.

Ausrick

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
..as for me, I really don't think Evan is the pre-determined winner so much as the USFSA's hope.

Yep, I think that much is fairly clear.

Tonichelle said:
... I want to believe that they are going to judge tonights competition fairly....

I want to believe that too, and I think they will, actually :)