Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 161 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Love the new program! Perfect for the Olympics and hope she gets herself a blue dress for it as you know, lucky Olympic Blue ;)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am very glad with her new Lp. It’s something different and classical and classy. The music is energetic and lovely. The audience at the Olympic will love it.

Totally agree. I liked the last LP fine, but I think this will be my favourite she's done.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Totally agree. I liked the last LP fine, but I think this will be my favourite she's done.

I rewatched it today and the StSq is amazing, really. I'm sure there's still adjustments they will make but this is such a promising LP! And her SP this year is probably her best so far too. I'm really happy with her Olympic programs... can't wait for Rostelecom

starla16

Medalist
Love the new program! Perfect for the Olympics and hope she gets herself a blue dress for it as you know, lucky Olympic Blue ;)

blue indeed is her color, I expect her to wear a new blue dress like in almost all her competition dresses.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
I rewatched it today and the StSq is amazing, really. I'm sure there's still adjustments they will make but this is such a promising LP! And her SP this year is probably her best so far too. I'm really happy with her Olympic programs... can't wait for Rostelecom

She absolutely killed that step sequence! :love:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Having seen it now several times, and being more coherent, I vote for her to keep Anna K as her FS. I've loved it as an EX first and I think Daniil has expanded it well. In general, I much prefer Daniil's choreography who I think has done some really wonderful pieces for the Junior girls this season and this goes along with it.

I was on the fence about Leftovers because from what we had seen it didn't seem the perfect piece for her. They kept saying there'll be work on it but as it is now, what we have seen, I think Anna K is a better vehicle. Leftovers is a demanding piece in a different way, that I am not sure Evgenia is quite ready for; it's not a diss on her, you know I love her as a skater but it takes time to be able to pull out everything out of music like that, and I don't think she's quite there yet. Not to mention I think that music is not ideal for the general audiences.

Which brings us back to Anna K, that I think is much better in this regard. Enough ups and downs and also, something I think Zhenya herself enjoys more. At least it seemed that way to me plus she is telling a story which is her preferred MO. This time around at JO though it was more subtle and I thought done the best so far in her programs. I absolutely loved the ballroom additions, and she has the crispness in her movement there that is fantastic, works very well. The stsq is divine. For a while I thought she'd suddenly gained speed but it is the flow that is brilliant.
The only thing that remains a question is the layout itself and if they'll fiddle with the jumps into what should have been the Leftovers. Personally I would because others are close.

Overall, please keep Anna Karenina, thank you (and I at least got the impression the reaction to this was mostly positive though I was glad to see plenty liked the Leftovers as well). Oh and I like this dress. Deep wine red is gorgeous on her and her skin/hair tone.

narnar

Rinkside
I don't really know how to react to the change of fs. I don't like the music used in Anna Karenina and overall the program feels raw to me. I have a feeling that Evgenia and her team decided to use it as a temproary fs for now and they will change it for CoR. Or maybe they'll change the jump layout. But I like how confident she looked and her fighting spirit is just to die for :luv17:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I liked the other dress better but this one is apparently temporary, so oh well. I'm kind of nervous about her going back to her previous layout, as she did the other one pretty darn well. If she did all the rippons, why is she going back to some tanos and some nothings?? That's kind of asking for trouble, in my opinion. I hope she changes that like she did last year, but earlier this time around.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I liked the other dress better but this one is apparently temporary, so oh well. I'm kind of nervous about her going back to her previous layout, as she did the other one pretty darn well. If she did all the rippons, why is she going back to some tanos and some nothings?? That's kind of asking for trouble, in my opinion. I hope she changes that like she did last year, but earlier this time around.

I'm not sure about layout, but I bet she'll add the Rippons as soon as she's comfortable in the new program. Last year she added them gradually!

atsumiri

Record Breaker
it's a brand new program. I think she didn't have enough time even to fully complete the choreography. Considering she changed the program a week or two ago..... It's pretty logical and smart to do what she is comfortable and confident with.
I think she'll add the Rippons and more details in the choreography or change layout as soon as she's ready.

tran

On the Ice
Just got the time from school to find out the shocking news. I love Evgenia and I still want her to win the Olympic, but I have to be honest I will be quite disappointed if she was to win it with this program. Idk if she was having trouble with the new layout and decided to go back to this layout but I think it would be better if she was to return to her W.E. program instead of Anna K. I don't like the music, the choreography or the facial expression. I thought the W.E. program is much more elegant and power especially the ending and the music.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
it's a brand new program. I think she didn't have enough time even to fully complete the choreography. Considering she changed the program a week or two ago..... It's pretty logical and smart to do what she is comfortable and confident with.
I think she'll add the Rippons and more details in the choreography or change layout as soon as she's ready.

Yes, this.
I know she's a wonderful skater but realistically, how long has it been since Nepela? Nobody can cobble together a brand new FS, even if pieces of choreography were familiar (and they are pieces) and expect to present it well enough to skate cleanly, at a high level, without sacrifices.

I think the sacrifice this time was using the last season layout plus keeping away from most of the rippons. It is simply too much to expect a brand new, perfectly performed FS created and trained within 10 days, from anyone, including Evgenia. It's not possible. Daniil himself needs time to adjust everything too.

If this is her new choice indeed, then in two weeks time, I think we'll probably already have something slightly different; more so at NHK. It will take time.

IleK

On the Ice

it's not that new, or at least the idea is not. she skated it this summer in an exhibition at Dreams on ice wearing the same dress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7f70PJznsE

atsumiri

Record Breaker
it's not that new, or at least the idea is not. she skated it this summer in an exhibition at Dreams on ice wearing the same dress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7f70PJznsE
i know it.
BUT
Between EX and FS is a big difference. stsq, jumps, choreography elements, spins. so IT's a new!
Everyone working on new programs from spring till now. Lots of top skaters's returned old programs and even they are still struggling with these programs. And everyone's still trying to improve their programs.
She worked all summer on her SP and FS. Two weeks ago she skated "Leftovers" FS. In spite of that, she showed wonderful performance yesterday with Anna Karenina.
It's a big deal.

charlotte14

Medalist
If I may give my opinion about this possible change of program...(has it been confirmed?)
I think this new program will resonate better with people who will be watching Medvedeva casually. As much as I love the Leftovers music and think it is a beautiful piece, that program is just too bland. And for those who follow her, it is too more of the same, imo. Specially if you combine it with her short. It's a very similar style. And I'm all up for contrast.
So I do think AK is more suitable for the Olympics. That music is much more dynamic, it has different nuances. So Medvedeva can give us more face, more expression.
I'm not even a fan of hers and I won't comment on her interpretation skills here, but AK is certainly a better vehicle if she wants to show more depth.
In this new(old) program, even her usual open mouth smiley face doesn't bother me that much because she does change her expression a lot throughout the program. For me, that's an improvement.
I hope she and her team can make this AK program work out. I consider it a great idea.
Yes. Anna Karenina is a well-known story so people can relate to. The music is easy to the ear. And she looks comfortable with it. She doesn't have to "act deep" unlike her previous LP.

charlotte14

Medalist
Yes!
I know her fans disagree (and that's fine) but I think that all those crazy stories her choreographer comes up with is too much. When she "acts" on those kind of programs it does not look natural, like it comes from her heart or from a special place, it just seems a bit forced.

With AK, I thought she looks more light and seems to have more fun with it. And as the season goes by I believe she will look even more comfortable in her movements and everything will go down smoothly.

But what really is the real plus for me is that AK will contrast with her current short. I think that's SO important.
I really hope they are changing it for good.
Maybe she can leave the Leftovers for her EX?
Not sure it is a good idea, but... Better than having it along with her SP.
Perhaps she can use it on the next season? And then she can have a contrasting short?
I'm starting to think too far ahead! lol

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Zhenia has made huge improvement in term of skating skills. It is funny that people who dislike Eteri refuse to acknowledge that. She does look much lighter and her control of body movement has become much masterful. I wonder how much she has worked over the years as people often joked at her as the weakest and least talented of her generation.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Zhenia has made huge improvement in term of skating skills. It is funny that people who dislike Eteri refuse to acknowledge that. She does look much lighter and her control of body movement has become much masterful. I wonder how much she has worked over the years as people often joked at her as the weakest and least talented of her generation.

You're talking to a constant anti-Zhenya and anti-Russia poster. I am not even sure what she's doing in a her fanfest; I guess she can't help herself but get a few digs in even here.