Foot injury knocks Gold out of Grand Prix Final | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Foot injury knocks Gold out of Grand Prix Final

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry for Gracie, but I hope she takes the time to heal properly and will be fine for US Nationals.

Icey

Record Breaker
Mrs. P

Interestingly, only the top five at the individual GP events receive prize money and that ranges from $18,000 to $2,000.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
First time she qualified, and now she already has to withdraw... poor Gracie. That's really awful for her. Wishing her a speedy recovery.
That said: good luck to Rika!

Ashley could podium. Julia is in deep trouble. THe judges don't seem too fond of Liza T. Anna P has nerve problems and Elena Rad skates like a junior to many. though I guess the Russians are guaranteed at least a bronze :)

Erm, no need to guess - with 4 out of 6 qualifiers being russian, yes, the least russia can get is a bronze. If you actually think Rika and Ash are going to beat them all.
And Elena might skate like a junior to you, that doesn't mean her LP scores this season aren't higher than Ashleys have ever been (cause they are). Liza is also getting pretty good scores by now, I don't know what you're watching :p

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Darn I hate hearing about skaters' injuries. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery for Gracie and that she will be
healthy and ready to compete at her Nationals.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Ashley could podium. Julia is in deep trouble. THe judges don't seem too fond of Liza T. Anna P has nerve problems and Elena Rad skates like a junior to many. though I guess the Russians are guaranteed at least a bronze :)
I highly doubt that Ashley can beat a clean Liza or Elena, and Yulia also beat Ashley at TEB. Rika might not get high PCS enough. And we still don't know how she can cope up with the pressure.

Trewyn

Medalist
Ashley and Julia were both very flawed at TEB. If Ashley had skated the way she had at Skate Canada, she would have beaten Julia. I agree that Ashley's probably fighting for bronze at best because there will likely be at least 2 Russians who deliver technical content that Ashley can't match, but she has a shot.
As to Gold; because she had mentioned before how the GPF would be cutting into her training time for Nationals, I honestly thought the injury was an excuse (no hard feelings, please), but it sounds like she's really disappointed.

Meoima

Match Penalty
As to Gold; because she had mentioned before how the GPF would be cutting into her training time for Nationals, I honestly thought the injury was an excuse (no hard feelings, please), but it sounds like she's really disappointed.
Gracie has to wear a walking boot so I assume her injury is not an excuse.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

I'm assuming this is a joke. Come on, you have to use the <sarcasm> tag when you say stuff like that...

fairly4

Medalist
sorry to hear about gracie, I was looking for to her final. I would have disagreed they had to skate "perfect", but with a few mistakes as possible the field is strong.

congrats to rika. .

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, I think that 25 grand top prize for the GP final is the farthest thing from Gracie's mind...she is a competitior and I am sure she is disappointed but the main thing, as you stated, is to get to nationals and then to worlds......(Selfishly, Nats without her or with an injured Gracie would be a big letdown...she is so great to see on the ice when she is on.......You GO, Gracie Gold!

Sorry for Gracie, but I hope she takes the time to heal properly and will be fine for US Nationals.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yes, I think that 25 grand top prize for the GP final is the farthest thing from Gracie's mind...she is a competitior and I am sure she is disappointed but the main thing, as you stated, is to get to nationals and then to worlds......(Selfishly, Nats without her or with an injured Gracie would be a big letdown...she is so great to see on the ice when she is on.......You GO, Gracie Gold!

I find it sad that winning your sport's second most prestigious title of the season doesn't nearly cover your training expenses. I wonder how many employees of the ISU make more that $25,000/yr.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I find it sad that winning your sport's second most prestigious title of the season doesn't nearly cover your training expenses. I wonder how many employees of the ISU make more that $25,000/yr.
:disapp: guess game, how much Speedy earns each month?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
He has a "volunteer" position, doesn't he? I will not remark on how much money he MAY receive legally or otherwise.....moderators, please feel free to delete....:) (Thanks to Jon Jackson for his "opinions" on Speedy's "income".)
:disapp: guess game, how much Speedy earns each month?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am not a skater and I don't play one on TV, but the original importance of the GP (my opinion) was to make money for the ISU. Certain skaters who will remain nameless blew off the events and concentrated on their Nats and worlds till the ISU got testy about it and sent out some rather nasty letters....and if you think about it, how many folks remember the GP winners vs the worlds and Oly winners. Still, I LIKE the GP and am not suggesting it be done away with. However, FORCING skaters to attend is another matter....I suppose you are right that it IS the second most prestigious title of the year in non-Olympic years, but IMHO it is not a close second....nothing beats the worlds except the Olys. Nothing comes close.

And yes, I agree that the prize money doesn't cover the training costs for Americans...not by a long shot. I still don't understand how the training costs and "saleries" of certain other skaters from certain other countries are "handled". Or how the ISU bigshots are paid or not.....

Warwick360

Medalist
For certain at the very least I now know that when I'll be following Ladies' GPF, I'll be thinking Gracie and be feeling "wishing you were somehow here again" :laugh:

But seriously it's sad that she isn't in this final anymore. :bang:

Alba

Record Breaker
I am not a skater and I don't play one on TV, but the original importance of the GP (my opinion) was to make money for the ISU. Certain skaters who will remain nameless blew off the events and concentrated on their Nats and worlds till the ISU got testy about it and sent out some rather nasty letters....and if you think about it, how many folks remember the GP winners vs the worlds and Oly winners.

Count me among those who don't care much about GP's, GPF or 4CC. :hopelessness::biggrin:
I like them, and I watch them, but the most important competitions for me were, and always will be: Worlds, Olympic and Euros, in this order.

Now I might add the russian nationals, in at least 3 disciplines, because it will be an exciting competition I think. :popcorn:

Last edited: