Golden Skate Lessons | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Golden Skate Lessons

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For those that are interested in Spanish Skaters, I have just discovered that their Federation does very comprehensive Competitive History PDF's for each skater.

Here is the index page:

http://www.fmdi.es/patinadores.html

Just click on the name for a summary page containing the most recent results, and then click on the PDF logo at the bottom of that summary page for the full version.

So, guess who is going to check if he missed anything out when making out his own tables for Marta Garcia and Sonia Lafuente...

Thank you to gallavich for asking for info about Spanish skater Ernesto Martínez, as it was when I was looking him up that I found this feature.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
This is not really a 'lesson' or 'find', just a question re: how the GS board and/or vBulletin operates --

I've been noticing over the past few weeks the GS Website Icon in my web browser (Chrome) changes from day to day.

I typically have dozens of tabs open at any given time and leave many open for days on end.

For example, I had a few tabs of GS open from yesterday, and I refreshed one of the tabs today to update the board, causing the GS Website Icon to change. This has happened several times recently.

Here is a screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FhmS7SlrItVFFKamp4aHdhRUU/view?usp=sharing

Today, I get the generic 'V' (for vBulletin), but yesterday I was seeing the famous GS icon on all my tabs here. Any idea of why these two icons flip-flop randomly? Does something with the board cause this, or could this be some kind of caching issue, or maybe just a random glitch? (I am using a desktop PC with Chrome consistently in this scenario.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For what it is worth, I use IE and Silk, occasionally Firefox.

I always get the V on the tab (IE) or nothing (Silk), so I can't be of help.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
For what it is worth, I use IE and Silk, occasionally Firefox.

Eww... IE? I am disappointed in you, Doris. ;)

Anyhow, the GS Website Icon is cool to have, since it stands out in my 25+ tabs in Chrome, rather than a generic vBulletin one... and it gets a little confusing when the flip-flop is occurring because I'm not sure at a quick glance whether it is actually GS or not... but obviously, not a showstopper.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mostly, I use Silk...

IE for watching videos/icenetwork with old desk top with the better speakers and the large screen.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In case you're wondering, the reason I ask is because I have just finished making out the list of articles for my Jenna McCorkell Fan Fest. And it has turned out to be a monster!

I feel that, rather than making the Original post any longer than it already is, it would be better to put the articles in a separate post. And I am just curious to know if it could theoretically be possible to do it this way before I make any attempt to post it.

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited by a moderator:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Nearly 10 years ago, I joined a vBulletin forum for a band I was a fan of. And I made a lot of friends, including one of the Moderators (who I am still in contact with, and whose 40th birthday it was a few days ago).

You know the way I can be known to post VERY long comments. Well, one time, I re-visited one of my comments on this other forum, and thought "Boys, that is far too long for a single post!" And I asked my friend if it was possible for Moderators to split one post into multiple consecutive posts. And he said that it unfortunately wasn't possible.

Well, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. The forum closed down, the band split up, and no doubt the vBulletin software has changed vastly since then.

So, is it now possible to split comments?

Last edited by a moderator:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Nearly 10 years ago, I joined a vBulletin forum for a band I was a fan of. And I made a lot of friends, including one of the Moderators (who I am still in contact with, and whose 40th birthday it was a few days ago).

You know the way I can be known to post VERY long comments. Well, one time, I re-visited one of my comments on this other forum, and thought "Boys, that is far too long for a single post!" And I asked my friend if it was possible for Moderators to split one post into multiple consecutive posts. And he said that it unfortunately wasn't possible.

Well, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. The forum closed down, the band split up, and no doubt the vBulletin software has changed vastly since then.

So, is it now possible to split comments?

In case you're wondering, the reason I ask is because I have just finished making out the list of articles for my Jenna McCorkell Fan Fest. And it has turned out to be a monster!

I feel that, rather than making the Original post any longer than it already is, it would be better to put the articles in a separate post. And I am just curious to know if it could theoretically be possible to do it this way before I make any attempt to post it.

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
;)

Yes, but you can do it yourself, too.

You have made a post.

Reply to your own post with a quote.

Edit out the QUOTE and /QUOTE commands.

Edit the section you want for post2.

Go back to your first post and delete the part you now have in post 2.

Done :)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
;)

Yes, but you can do it yourself, too.

You have made a post.

Reply to your own post with a quote.

Edit out the QUOTE and /QUOTE commands.

Edit the section you want for post2.

Go back to your first post and delete the part you now have in post 2.

Done :)

I realise that. But I meant it in a situation where where there have been other comments posted in the meantime. Is it possible to have it so that the 2 parts are consecutive, rather than having these other comments in between?

But, I doesn't matter in this case. I have previewed how the post would look if ALL the article links were put into the OP, and it isn't actually as scary as I feared it would be.

But, I have decided to re-organise that section of the post a little bit to make the interviews stand out. So give me half an hour or so, and then I'll have the Fan Fest up in its entirity.

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
To do that, with intervening posts, you have to ask a moderator. The moderator will copy your post back into the thread a second time. The two identical posts will have the same date time stamp.

That is how I do the posts in the headers of the Programs by Discipline threads.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
To do that, with intervening posts, you have to ask a moderator. The moderator will copy your post back into the thread a second time. The two identical posts will have the same date time stamp.

That is how I do the posts in the headers of the Programs by Discipline threads.

Thank you for the answer.

When I asked Markus all those years ago, I was really surprised when he told me that Moderators didn't have the power to split posts like that.

So, it is good to see that this is one of the developments that vBulletin has made to their software in the intervening years.

Well, I'm happy enough with how the post turned out, so I don't see any reason to split it. But, it is good for us to know this for future reference.

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Box in a Box

Useful for making symbol keys. Or just to be silly

A Big One:

* Personal Best * Season Best

A small one:

* Personal Best * Season's Best

no outer box
* Personal Best * Season's Best

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Stuff you all probably knew, but I didn't.

1. If you press and hold down a letter on your Android phone, Kindlefire, or Android tablet, a popup gives you the ability to pick the letter you pushed with a selection of diacritical marks:

Here's what you can get by pressing and holding e for example:

e 3 € è é ê ë ³

Here's c
c # % ç

And so forth.

I can now type Blaüen with the umlaut :) easily.

2. In the lower right corner of the Reply box that comes up when you are making or editing a post, there are 3 little diagonal lines. If you click on them, your cursor moves to the bottom of the post you are editing.

This is handy in editing long posts.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
iPad/iPhone works similarly.

Holding down e on iPhone gives me:

e è é ê ë ē ė ę

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is interesting that it is not the same selection, but that makes sense as phone/tablet keyboards are not standardized anyhow.
The German character: ß needed to.spell Annabelle Prölß is under the s.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This thread was started after I discovered how to find out how many comments each person has posted in a thread.

Just as a wee refresher, this is what you do:

When you are on the page listing the threads in a particular forum or sub-forum, go to the "Replies / Views" column, and click on the number telling you how many replies are in a particular thread. A pop-up window then appears telling you how many comments each poster has in the thread.

But, earlier this week, I discovered that this feature is even cleverer than just telling you the post count.

When in the pop-up window, click on the number beside the member's name. The pop-up will disappear, and the main window will go to a page displaying a list of all the comments that that member has posted in that thread.

It is a great way of quickly finding your previous posts in a thread that has lots of pages, such as most Senior B competition threads; or the Stupid Questions Thread; or an out-of-control Fan Fest thread...

I have been using this feature a lot this week for finding particular posts in Senior B competition threads (due to there not being separate competition threads for each segment, these threads expand very quickly). But, I can imagine Yuzuru Hanyu fans finding it handy for finding particular posts in either of his Fan Fests.

So, I hope other members find this feature as useful as I have.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's a feature I wish I had known a long time ago:

First that we have a list of bbcodes in the FAQ
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

And we have this particular bbcode :love: :yahoo:
Code

The
Code:
 tag switches to a fixed-width (monospace) font and [B]preserves all spacing[/B]

Usage
[code]
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
    alert("Hello world!");
//-->
</script>

So if you do a simple copy and paste of a result page, normally, you get this:

Place
Start Name Score
1 11 Lorraine McNamara, Peninsula SC / Quinn Carpenter, Washington FSC 73.42
2 3 Rachel Parsons, Washington FSC / Michael Parsons, Washington FSC 70.29
3 8 Elliana Pogrebinsky, Peninsula SC / Alex Benoit, Skokie Valley SC 65.98
4 6 Christina Carreira, SC of New York / Anthony Ponomarenko, SC of San Francisco 64.81
5 7 Julia Biechler, SC of Wilmington / Damian Dodge, Peninsula SC 57.82
6 9 Eliana Gropman, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights / Ian Somerville, Washington FSC 57.69
7 4 Chloe Lewis, All Year FSC /Logan Bye, SC of New York 56.02
8 10 Gigi Becker, Washington FSC / Luca Becker, Washington FSC 52.78
9 1 Katherine Grosul, SC of Novi / Cameron Colucci, Philadelphia SC & HS 52.53
10 12 Alina Efimova, Peninsula SC / Kyle MacMillan, Washington FSC 49.76
11 5 Aya Takai, Detroit SC/ Alexander Martin, Detroit SC 49.03
12 13 Elizabeth Addas, All Year FSC/ Jonathan Schultz, FSC of Southern California 37.88
13 2 Rebecca Lucas, University of Delaware FSC / Jacob Schedl, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights 37.73

If you put code around it, you get this

Code:
Place
Start	Name	Score	
1	11	Lorraine McNamara, Peninsula SC / Quinn Carpenter, Washington FSC	73.42	
2	3	Rachel Parsons, Washington FSC / Michael Parsons, Washington FSC	70.29	
3	8	Elliana Pogrebinsky, Peninsula SC / Alex Benoit, Skokie Valley SC	65.98	
4	6	Christina Carreira, SC of New York / Anthony Ponomarenko, SC of San Francisco	64.81	
5	7	Julia Biechler, SC of Wilmington / Damian Dodge, Peninsula SC	57.82	
6	9	Eliana Gropman, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights / Ian Somerville, Washington FSC	57.69	
7	4	Chloe Lewis, All Year FSC /Logan Bye, SC of New York	56.02	
8	10	Gigi Becker, Washington FSC / Luca Becker, Washington FSC	52.78	
9	1	Katherine Grosul, SC of Novi / Cameron Colucci, Philadelphia SC & HS	52.53	
10	12	Alina Efimova, Peninsula SC / Kyle MacMillan, Washington FSC	49.76	
11	5	Aya Takai, Detroit SC/ Alexander Martin, Detroit SC	49.03	
12	13	Elizabeth Addas, All Year FSC/ Jonathan Schultz, FSC of Southern California	37.88	
13	2	Rebecca Lucas, University of Delaware FSC / Jacob Schedl, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights	37.73

which has its uses.

Last edited: