GP France: Women's Thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

GP France: Women's Thoughts?

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I can't figure out if your upset that ur skater didn't win or that u upset that Isabeau did.
I watch rion . I am glad that they gave her credit for her quad.
Anastasia did skate well maybe a tad undermark.
Should she have won? I don't know.
Is that what we debating our personal choices of who should have won.?

Isabeau did leave room, but I don't enough to overcome.
Is it easy to skate last?
Is it easy to skate last and first?

Is it easy to skate to stay in first in not ur country?

U stated gifted one would think she would have been gifted in skate America? She wasn't.
More than Likely if Amber didn't mess up her free skate . She would have came in 3rd.
U mention Isabeau slow labored. It look like she was and overthinking it.
U particularly mentioned the American judge gave her a 129.
How do u know ? Was u sitting next to the American judge.?

Anastasia while skating well dis look labored and tired at end

Isabeau outside of her invalid spin the mistakes didn't glare. The judges noticed by giving her a 65 in tec v 67 for Anastasia (skating scores) I don't know how reliable that is.

Just catching up on the women here.

Of the first group in the long program, Lea Serna really stood out. What a great skater. I'd love to see what she could do with top flight choreography.

Mone Chiba gets lost in the crowd, as I find so many of the Japanese and Korean skaters do this season. They're all mostly skating pretty well, but their programs are all the same flavour of boring and pretty. I need some of these women to break out and stand out from the crowd.

Who did stand out in the short was Wakaba Higuchi. What a phenomenal skater. Too bad about the missed element because the rest of the program was stellar. I love her Coldplay free program. Oh, and she actually had a good illusion out of her spin.

Haein Lee is beautifully packaged. Beautiful dresses for both programs. Great footwork sequence in the short.

Levito was infuriatingly gifted and overmarked in the LP to take the win. There were a lot of good skates here that deserved to finish ahead of hers. Watching her crawl through the footwork is so painful. It was especially glaring in the context of just having watched Gubanova sink like a stone for a performance that didn't seem that bad on the whole. It was bizarre

I had no horse in this race and didn't care at all who won, lol.
As Tatiana Tarasova famously said when asked about the Russian judge placing Tara Lipinski ahead of Michelle Kwan at the 1998 Olympics, "Why didn't (Kwan's coach) Frank Carroll just slip us a bottle of vodka? What did we care which Arerican girl won?"

Skating91

Medalist
You're missing my point- their view might actually be the more accurate one.

Why are you making the assumption that you're viewing better at home (especailly considering how poor the onscreen replays were at this competition)?

I definitely have a better view than the judges. I find underrotated landings that they miss all the time. That Rion 4T was clearly a cheated jump in real time watching on Youtube, then I went back and reviewed it slowed down and yes it was very clearly underrotated.

Instead, the officials missed the underrotation, but not only that gave GOEs of 2 and 3 for a cheated landing with an unbalanced exit.

Even with poor replays I still do better analysing video than the officials. It's farcical. What would be wrong with just giving a q and GOE of -1 or -2? It would still be something to applaud not falling on a quad attempt.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
That's why there is a panel of nine judges. One judge might be impressed by a particular performasnce and give it high marks, another watching the same performance will see many weaknesses and give low marks. Other judges will be in the middle. The expectation is that the scores will average out to a reasonabl;e assessment.
OK, USA judge's scores didn't count, because he was way out of the coridor of the other judges... BUT we did have Belgian and Korean judges in the panel too, who did care 'too much for their own skaters' and as a result lowballed Gubanova's final score comparing to the skaters of their own country...The judging is too predictable, and that is the problem - If Gubanova finished dead last in her SP she would easily score 130 points for her free, but because she was a contender for a medal she scored 120... So judges indeed are still ranking the skaters, instead to judging them independently, which was the whole point of changing the scoring system... And skaters are more frustrated as a product of that (I was actually mentioning Gubanova this whole time, and was checking her scores first because she was the most frustrated about the scoring, and i really did find statistical anomalies in the scores she got), if you received 120 points in one competition and 130 in another for the basically same skate, you are just confused and frustrated and nothing more... Or what is the message the USA judge sent to Gubanova with his marks - that she is a double worse skater than she was 10 years ago...

Last edited:

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
...except perhaps when Loena Hendrickx is skating, since she provides the judges with a view unequaled by any other vantage point.

rain

Record Breaker
That Rion 4T was clearly a cheated jump in real time watching on Youtube, then I went back and reviewed it slowed down and yes it was very clearly underrotated.

Instead, the officials missed the underrotation, but not only that gave GOEs of 2 and 3 for a cheated landing with an unbalanced exit.
Well, you're not wrong about that jump being obviously underrotated. And yes, it was visible to the naked eye. Truly no replays even needed on that one.

OK, USA judge's scores didn't count, because he was way out of the coridor of the other judges... BUT we did have Belgian and Korean judges in the panel too, who did care 'too much for their own skaters' and as a result lowballed Gubanova's final score comparing to the skaters of their own country...
Well, if your complaint is that the IJS has not solved all the problems that have plagued figure skating judging throughout its history, yes, you are quite right. It has not.

RobinA

On the Ice
It was a controversial stage. The negative aspects (strange decisions of the judges, manipulations with the GOE and PCS, Isabeau’s performance) have already been discussed here. I can only add that most of the programs were boring and it was not interesting to watch the tournament.

However, there are also positive aspects. In particular, 15 attempts were made at the tournament to perform solo 3F, and in 10 cases the skaters received a positive GOE. This is the best result for all three stages (at the first stage, 6 out of 13 3F attempts were successful, at the second - 6 out of 14). The most notable is the free program - all 9 3Fs were successful.

The performance of other solo triple jumps (with the exception of 3T) remained approximately the same as in the two previous stages or improved slightly. In addition, 5 attempts to execute the 3Lz+3T cascade out of 12 turned out to be successful - this is also the best result in three stages, and this time no one tried to use the archaic 3T+3T combination.

I couldn't watch this particular competition because I had other things to do, but from what I have seen from Skate America and the small amount of Skate Canada I managed to watch, it's all boring to me this season. I cannot make it through an LP event without picking up a book or my iPad. I've been thinking that maybe that's because it's the beginning of the season. But really, there's no one that great out there, the programs are undistinguished, and the music is godawful.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I liked Gubanova's short but was bored watching her free skate... she just lost me. I like Isabeau, but she was gifted here... although nobody was that much better ... For me, to become the best in the world, she really needs to refine her jump takeoffs--the big lean forward and extreme prerotation kill it for me, and compared to the Japanese and Koreans, her lack of speed is apparent.
Rion had to much of a deficit from the SP. Well done Nina to skate so well at her first event.
The Japanese ladies look burnt out this year--they train too long and hard and I wish someone would hook them up with a good personal trainer and sports psychologist. Their posture and speed is second to none but something is not clicking.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Isabeau deserved the win; not my favourite programs but she earned it. It is exciting only because it is so unpredictable.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
I couldn't watch this particular competition because I had other things to do, but from what I have seen from Skate America and the small amount of Skate Canada I managed to watch, it's all boring to me this season. I cannot make it through an LP event without picking up a book or my iPad. I've been thinking that maybe that's because it's the beginning of the season. But really, there's no one that great out there, the programs are undistinguished, and the music is godawful.
Loena's performances in the first stage, especially in the short program, were not boring. She could probably be accused of poor taste, or that her costume was too revealing, but her performances were like a bright patch on a gray fabric. But there are more significant questions for her: the most “valuable” element of her programs is the 3Lz + 3T cascade, she performed this cascade twice, and both times received negative GOE points. These mistakes may later turn into falls, and then she will again not be able to become the European champion (it’s too early to talk about the World Championship).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've already posted my opinions on how problematic the judging here was. But I do agree with you that ultimately the biggest issue of the women event in this stage laid with the quality of the performances and the programs themselves. They were okish, not terrible or anything, but for a GP level, it was disappointing that you would hardly have any moment while watching when you would go "oh, that's really cool!", and that you would most certainly not remember anything of the programs afterwards. It was indeed boring :confused:
I find most of the women to be pretty boring. It's not their fault, I just think it is the most boring event.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Well, if your complaint is that the IJS has not solved all the problems that have plagued figure skating judging throughout its history, yes, you are quite right. It has not.
No, I've complained that some of the judges are not fair, not the system. I basically 'blamed' one particular judge who is addressed by ISU as Mr. Robert ROSENBLUTH.

Last edited: