2023 Grand Prix de France Women's Free Skate | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix de France Women's Free Skate

hermine17

Final Flight
About Gubanova : Seeing her live, her skating skills were noticeably worse than the other skaters, especially in the FS (I didn’t notice it as much in the SP, for some reason). Her FS score made sense, despite all the elements that she did do very well.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Now that I have watched a couple of the women's performances, I'm delighted that Nina and Rion had such good skates and ended up on the podium. :clap:
Isabeau still leaves me meh, but she deserved a medal here, just not sure about the colour.
Gubanova's programs are alternating between pretentious and bland, imo. Various judging panels have sent her a clear message this season that she needs to put some serious work both into the technical and component aspects of her skating, but somehow she doesn't get it? Very disappointed with the unsportsmanlike attitude displayed in the K&C.

Skating91

Medalist
TES Rescore
Rion: 33+71= 104
Nina: 35+66= 101
Isabeau: 31+59=90
Maybe PCS would put Nina over Rion, not a clue, but the winner was not Isabeau. Too bad, because I was hoping she would get an honest win here.
I agree it could go either way to Rion or Nina, although Rion did benefit from that 4T not being called as UR. Nina 60 PCS in an engaging, cleanly executed program compared to Isabeau 66 in a total disaster skate in the second half. That's a 13 point differential in the scoring if we go by your numbers. It's potentially and likely stealing Nina or Rion of the best moment in their career. Isabeau is a great girl, very charismatic, but I want the results to be in the correct order and Isabeau with a bronze is nothing for her to be ashamed of.

Skating91

Medalist
Now that I have watched a couple of the women's performances, I'm delighted that Nina and Rion had such good skates and ended up on the podium. :clap:
Isabeau still leaves me meh, but she deserved a medal here, just not sure about the colour.
Gubanova's programs are alternating between pretentious and bland, imo. Various judging panels have sent her a clear message this season that she needs to put some serious work both into the technical and component aspects of her skating, but somehow she doesn't get it? Very disappointed with the unsportsmanlike attitude displayed in the K&C.
The coach grabbed her softly by the arm to tell her it's best to stay seated. To call it unsportsmanlike is quite harsh. She stayed seated the entire time, no negative mannerisms, rolling of the eyes, etc.

I don't believe her skating skills have deteriorated so markedly in 8 months as the judges scores indicate. It was a skate that lost power in the second half but mostly clean and was not a complete disaster in the second half like the gold medalist. This was an event defined by disaster skates after all. Gubanova and Levito should have been similar for PCS.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I defer to the more expert on detailing, but now I've looked Nina and Rion were imo by far the most enjoyable and beautiful to watch of all the skaters here (I am not saying that many of the others including Isabeau Levito weren't, but these two were a cut above).

ps - I didn't think Anastasiia Gubanova's KnC reaction was unsportsmanlike - uncomfortable to watch especially as it was so obvious her coach was stopping her, but I've seen much worse, including some who after disastrous skates have pretty much stormed off. Or scowled ferociously at everyone.

And floods of tears may be more sympathetic but are even more uncomfortable to watch.

pps - why does almost everyone call her by her surname only, unlike nearly all of the women and most of the men? I'm just puzzled, is it something she has indicated she wants?

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
I defer to the more expert on detailing, but now I've looked Nina and Rion were imo by far the most enjoyable and beautiful to watch of all the skaters here (I am not saying that many of the others including Isabeau Levito weren't, but these two were a cut above).

ps - I didn't think Anastasiia Gubanova's KnC reaction was unsportsmanlike - uncomfortable to watch especially as it was so obvious her coach was stopping her, but I've seen much worse, including some who after disastrous skates have pretty much stormed off. Or scowled ferociously at everyone.

And floods of tears may be more sympathetic but are even more uncomfortable to watch.

pps - why does almost everyone call her by her surname only, unlike nearly all of the women and most of the men? I'm just puzzled, is it something she has indicated she wants?

I have no idea why others are saying it but I tend to go for the easier choice... so I will say Yuma simply because it's shorter... Adam because I don't even know where his surname really starts... :slink: and so on... with the Russian names I often don't know how to exactly spell them in English, especially the first names - for instance is it Anastasia or Anastasiia, Evgeni or Evgeniy or Evgenii, Adelia or Adeliia, Sofia or Sofya... so... at least I know how to write the common version of her surname... And I suppose I repeat what others are using, so if others write first or surname I use that more commonly.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
You know, I kind of regret writing that now that I've read through it again. It sounds a bit a harsh and usually if I don't have anything nice to say about a skater I try to say nothing. It's just that her cussing in the K&C rubbed me the wrong way in the moment. But of course like every other skater we get to see on the GP Gubanova is working really hard and it must be frustrating for her if the score doesn't meet her expectations, I realize that now and I'm sorry I called her unsportsmanlike.

DLong

Rinkside
Reading through the competition thread now, I’m glad I wasn’t here yesterday.

It became a cesspool of rather hateful opinions and bizarre perspectives, to say the least.

Congrats to the medalists here!
This is why I don't participate in these threads during competitions. The nasty comments are just unnecessary. I never understood why it's necessary to whine after every competition. It's especially bad if their favorite skater doesn't win or get a medal.

Azikin

Medalist
About Gubanova : Seeing her live, her skating skills were noticeably worse than the other skaters, especially in the FS (I didn’t notice it as much in the SP, for some reason). Her FS score made sense, despite all the elements that she did do very well.
Sure, Nastya's skating skill are noticably worse than all the others. It's probably because she trains in Russia with Rukavitsin.. :biggrin:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is why I don't participate in these threads during competitions. The nasty comments are just unnecessary. I never understood why it's necessary to whine after every competition. It's especially bad if their favorite skater doesn't win or get a medal.
It is a shame that the comparison battles come and get so hard. If someone got underscored, then there may be some complaints, but then the comparisons of other skaters and the harsh takes start coming and a battle starts. I love Isabeau and she did struggle some, but she is a lovely skater and is maturing very much. Nina's PCS should be higher, but she picked up her first grand prix medal, which is wonderful. Rion was able to land a quad and also grab a medal. I am happy with these skaters for their growth and great skating.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Its just the nature of such a subjective sport. Especially one that is famous for political influence and corruption. Seriously, you could cut and paste a jump and just change the name of the competitor three times and you would get one called clean, one a q, and one under rotated. Plus GOE and PCS being a complete farce. Then you have announcers gaslighting you during replays not to believe your eyes. If people aren't complaining it's because their skater got the benefit, they aren't paying attention or they just don't care anymore. Lol

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Breakdown of marks by judge
Wow, i have never seen bigger discrepancy in judging one skater in my whole life. USA judge gave Gubanova 5.75 :jaw:,6.75, 6.50 for the components and total score of 107.58 ranking her 10th in the free skate (which is way out of the box :scratch2:), while Suisse judge gave 8.50, 8.25, 8.25 and total score of 126.59. I think Japanese judge was the fairest one with 7.75, 8.00, 7.50 in components and 123.60 for the total score.
E: The same American judge gave Rion 129.36 for the free skate, placing her 3rd in the free :eek:

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
Wow, i have never seen bigger discrepancy in judging one skater in my whole life. USA judge gave Gubanova 5.75 :jaw:,6.75, 6.50 for the components and total score of 107.58 ranking her 10th in the free skate (which is way out of the box :scratch2:), while Suisse judge gave 8.50, 8.25, 8.25 and total score of 126.59. I think Japanese judge was the fairest one with 7.75, 8.00, 7.50 in components and 123.60 for the total score.
E: The same American judge gave Rion 129.36 for the free skate, placing her 3rd in the free :eek:

We can absolutely talk about Gubanova not being judged correctly by certain judges -however if that's the biggest discrepancy you have ever seen you may not have looked at too many scores closely because I have seen many of those unfortunately.

Junhwan Cha was 10th in presentation at last year's worlds according to the Turkish judge, 1st according to US and Korean judge.
Malinin was 5th in composition according to the Korean and Turkish judge, 18th according to the Austrian one.
Nicole Schott was 1st in presentation according to the Dutch judge, 12th according to the Slovenian one.
Schiza's composition score ranged from 5.75 to 8.
Mikutina got 5.50 for skating skills from the Dutch judge. Really? Have they ever seen Mikutina skate in their life?
At recent Nebelhorn: Livia Kaiser composition 4.00-7.00.
Landry Le May composition 3.75-6.50
These are just some random examples from 2 competitions I just looked up. Especially the composition score seems a mess because people don't know how to judge this especially now with the new component number and the integration of transitions.

No, Gubanova is not the first and not the last skater who has this happening to her (and for sure it does not only happen if your name ends with ova and you train in Russia).

icewhite

Record Breaker
Sure, Nastya's skating skill are noticably worse than all the others. It's probably because she trains in Russia with Rukavitsin.. :biggrin:

She didn't get the worst skating skill scores. For her free skate which really wasn't impressive in terms of skating skills she got 7.57 overall. Léa Serna who definitely doesn't have worse skating skills than her or a bad day got 7.14.
Complain about the general judging, I'm with you. But this joke is not funny because it's not true.

Last edited:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
We can absolutely talk about Gubanova not being judged correctly by certain judges -however if that's the biggest discrepancy you have ever seen you may not have looked at too many scores closely because I have seen many of those unfortunately.

Junhwan Cha was 10th in presentation at last year's worlds according to the Turkish judge, 1st according to US and Korean judge.
Malinin was 5th in composition according to the Korean and Turkish judge, 18th according to the Austrian one.
Nicole Schott was 1st in presentation according to the Dutch judge, 12th according to the Slovenian one.
Schiza's composition score ranged from 5.75 to 8.
Mikutina got 5.50 for skating skills from the Dutch judge. Really? Have they ever seen Mikutina skate in their life?
At recent Nebelhorn: Livia Kaiser composition 4.00-7.00.
Landry Le May composition 3.75-6.50
These are just some random examples from 2 competitions I just looked up. Especially the composition score seems a mess because people don't know how to judge this especially now with the new component number and the integration of transitions.

No, Gubanova is not the first and not the last skater who has this happening to her (and for sure it does not only happen if your name ends with ova and you train in Russia).
I was talking about a Grand Prix competition (with max 12 skaters involved, or only two groups of skaters, without break for the judges for the ice resurfacing), not about a competition of 24 skaters or more. With less skaters involved or better to say with less 'zamboni breaks', as statistically, this kind of discrepancy should'n be achievable that easy. And it's not like any other judge in the panel was close with American judge opinion about Gubanova skate and his CO score especially. The rest of the judges scores were 'closer' for that matter - all from 7 to 8.50 for the components and from 116 to 126 points for the overall free skate score.
Whatever her surname is, it's just not looking as an honest judging of one particular judge. Because I remember when one American judge gave perfect 10 for Kamila Valieva performance (and I remember it because it was a score we see very rarely and it was the highest score on the score sheets, while the other judges went from 9.25 to 9.75), i'm not the one who is saying that for all American judges nationality matters, or even asking that question, but because you are asking - for some of the judges maybe do :shrug:

Last edited:

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Its just the nature of such a subjective sport. Especially one that is famous for political influence and corruption. Seriously, you could cut and paste a jump and just change the name of the competitor three times and you would get one called clean, one a q, and one under rotated. Plus GOE and PCS being a complete farce. Then you have announcers gaslighting you during replays not to believe your eyes. If people aren't complaining it's because their skater got the benefit, they aren't paying attention or they just don't care anymore. Lol
The thing is that complaining about the results doesn't change the results (at least it hasn't since the 2002 Olympics pairs event), so that's why I try not to say anything when I'm not happy about the scores. I'll admit when I don't like someone's program, but I have no influence on the scores it receives. I'm just a fan of figure skating, nothing more, nothing less.