Grand Prix Analysis, Winners/Losers | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Analysis, Winners/Losers

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I thought it might be fun, with the Grand Prix less than a month away, to analyze the GP Assignments and outline who we think are the winners and losers of the draw.
Of course, draws barely mean anything in figure skating, a sport where anyone can beat anyone on ANY given day, but I just thought it would be fun to do to waste time.
For example, I'll get things started with a ladies GP analysis. I'll break down the fields, using my personal judgment, for each GP event below, and provide analysis later. You may disagree with my classifications, and that's totally ok.

Skate America-
Favourites: Mao Asada, Gracie Gold, Ashley Wagner
Contenders: Gabby Daleman, Kanako Murakami, Yulia Lipnitskaya
Dark Horses: Roberta Rodeghiero, Mai Mihara, So Youn Park, Sima Sakhanovich

Skate Canada-
Favourites: Satoko Miyahara, Evgenia Medvedeva
Contenders: Rika Hongo, Liza Tuktamysheva, Mirai Nagasu
Dark Horses: Alaine Chartrand, Kaetlyn Osmond

Rostelecom Cup-
Favourites: Anna Pogorilaya, Elena Radionova
Contenders: Kanako Murakami, Yulia Lipnitskaya, Polina Edmunds
Dark Horses: Zijun Li, Roberta Rodeghiero, Elizabet Tursynbaeva

Trophee de France-
Favourites: Mao Asada, Evgenia Medvedeva, Gracie Gold
Contenders: Gabby Daleman
Dark Horses: Wakaba Higuchi, Maria Sotskova

Cup of China-
Favourites: Elena Radionova, Ashley Wagner
Contenders: Rika Hongo, Liza Tuktamysheva
Dark Horses: Kaetlyn Osmond, Zijun Li, Mai Mihara

NHK Trophy-
Favourites: Satoko Miyahara, Anna Pogorilaya
Contenders: Polina Edmunds, Mirai Nagasu
Dark Horses: Alaine Chartrand, Wakaba Higuchi, Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Maria Sotskova

There are two types of tourneys here- top-heavy fields and depth fields. I think Skate America and Trophee de France are top-heavy, and what I mean by that is that there are three top-quality skaters (who likely expect to make the GPF) competing, and any one of those three could perform very well and finish third, which is NOT what you want when going for the GPF. Depth fields are those where I think there are two clear favourites and a wealth of competent athletes gunning for the podium.

Winners:
ANNA POGORILAYA:
I see her as the biggest winner in the draw, because she's drawn two depth fields. She's drawn her home tourney, where she will win as long as she skates clean or very close to clean, and shouldn't finish lower than second unless something catastrophic happens (and it most definitely has in the past...) NHK is what I view to be a weaker field, and it's the exact same situation- Anna really should finish no less than second barring a disaster. Anna's known for her inconsistency but the skating gods have helped her out here. In short, she manages to avoid Medvedeva, Wagner, and Gold at both events.

SATOKO MIYAHARA: Like Anna, Satoko avoids both top-heavy events. Honestly, every draw is a win for Satoko because she's so incredibly consistent. Even though it's likely she'll lose to Medvedeva in Canada, her last event at home is a relatively easy event where anything less than second would be downright shocking. Expect Satoko to breeze into the GPF.

POLINA EDMUNDS: It's highly unlikely Polina will be able to get into the GPF. However, she's drawn the same events as Pogorilaya- Rostelecom and NHK. Both events are what i've classified as a depth field, where there's less heavy favourites and more challengers for the podium. I expect her to medal at NHK and she is definitely in the hunt for another one at Rostelecom. Keep in mind too that her GP mate Pogorilaya is prone occasionally to the epic collapse, which could benefit Polina at at least one event. Two medals in the GP series would be an outstanding result for the American.

Losers:
MAO ASADA: She's drawn both top-heavy events. As if that's not an uphill battle already, she's facing the two best American skaters... in America. Also at Skate America, which I personally believe to be the hardest field of the six, Gabby Daleman and Yulia Lipnitskaya are very eager to get on that podium. If Asada falters, she could not only be looking at third place, but fourth or fifth as well, effectively putting her out of the GPF race. Skate America is a pivotal tourney for her, as Trophee de France will be difficult to win as she faces Gold again as well as the reigning world champ.

GRACIE GOLD: She's drawn the exact same events as Mao Asada, which is already something she didn't want, but she's also drawn Ashley Wagner, who beat her at home at the Worlds, in America as well as the world champion Medvedeva in France. Assuming Medvedeva wins France, we are put in a very difficult position where it's unlikely we'll see both Gold and Asada at the GPF, which is a shame. Gold needs to bring her absolute best in order to get into the Final.

GABBY DALEMAN: The reigning Canadian silver medalist was a bright spot at worlds, and with a new 3Lz-3T combination, she looked to be in the hunt for medals this year in the GP. Unfortunately, she's drawn America and France... Just like Asada and Gold. A GPF berth was likely out of the question for her, but for someone who was probably expecting to have great chances for podium finishes in her events, she will likely be very disappointed. Never count her out, though. Gold and Asada aren't the most... consistently strong of the competitors.

BOTTOM LINE: anyone NOT named Gold or Asada shouldn't be too dissatisfied with their assignments, and should expect to qualify with solid performances. I think Skate America and Trophee de France, the two top-heavy fields, will be decisive in determining who gets to go to the Grand Prix Final. If Gold or Asada finishes third at Skate America, they face the gargantuan task of having to beat the other AND Medvedeva in France to qualify. The likeliest situation right now, then, is that one of Gold or Asada do not qualify for the Grand Prix Final, but once again, NOTHING can be ruled out in the sport of figure skating.

Hope you enjoyed that loooong post... Feel free to start discussion about either what I said or about another discipline. Have fun!

Last edited:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Hey, this was really fun to read; do u write a figure skating blog?
Anyway, I thought this was really insightful. It never occurred to me that between Gracie gold and Mao asada, one may not make the final.
I actually am uncertain if Polina will medal at an event...... It really depends on her programs this season. The judges are not warming up to her way of skating (she's slow into the triple-triples); and it also depends on how the other competitors do. Crossed fingers for her!
Evgenia will probably win both events......but im hoping I like her programs by October......
This is gonna be so exciting, can't wait!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
China is looking really weak now with the state that those Russian ladies are in, so Ashley can be 3rd at Skate America and still probably make the GPF easily. Mao and Gracie being 1st and 2nd at Skate America would then also mean that getting 3rd at TEB wouldn't really matter for them. So right now I would say the most likely GPF lineup is:

1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Satoko Miyahara
3. Anna Pogorilaya
4. Ashley Wagner
5. Mao Asada
6. Gracie Gold

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Here we go... the annual otherwise I told you so~~ game (guaranteed by many face palm moments at the end of every Prixinct)

Skate America-
Favourites: Mao Asada, Gracie Gold, Ashley Wagner
Contenders: Gabby Daleman, Kanako Murakami, Yulia Lipnitskaya
Dark Horses: Roberta Rodeghiero, Mai Mihara, So Youn Park, Sima Sakhanovich

Gonna go with Gracie... just because, stats is in her favour (she failed so many times)... if she won't able to do it at home. Then pack up and go .. um.. few short bus stops away.
My sentimental hopeful is So Youn Park (ultimate underdog and under achiever) and Kanako (can't believe she is still around, all that talk that ends up damaging her PCS unecesserily was for nothing), and ofcourse the grand dame Mao. I'd love her to have a good season... she is a class above the field, in principle. Still hope Yulia to surprise me, always a little star!

Skate Canada-
Favourites: Satoko Miyahara, Evgenia Medvedeva
Contenders: Rika Hongo, Liza Tuktamysheva, Mirai Nagasu
Dark Horses: Alaine Chartrand, Kaetlyn Osmond

Satoko, just because all the negative talk on this board start to p**sed me off. The girl works hard and I really appreciate her improvement, yes i did noticed the few mm improvement in height above the ice, Yes! I am just that good!

Gooo Mirai!!!!!! ...And the Canadians.
(Umm yeah okay so the judge probably got Zhenya's medal ticked already, but I'd:drama: if her FS got the highest PCS.)

Rostelecom Cup-
Favourites: Anna Pogorilaya, Elena Radionova
Contenders: Kanako Murakami, Yulia Lipnitskaya, Polina Edmunds
Dark Horses: Zijun Li, Roberta Rodeghiero, Elizabet Tursynbaeva

I love the Russian girls in this group. I can't wait for Elena's improvement in good taste (how can it get any worse!?) Anna is always a fav. And of course my girl Zijun! The graceful charming fairy, hope her stamina improves. Very curious if Lil Bet bring her quad Sal... my jaw will hit the floor...repeatedly.

Trophee de France-
Favourites: Mao Asada, Evgenia Medvedeva, Gracie Gold
Contenders: Gabby Daleman
Dark Horses: Wakaba Higuchi, Maria Sotskova

Yikes, this is going to be fierce. I am going to go for Wakababy just for the heck of it! But I reckon Zhenya got it in the bag for Europe.

Cup of China-
Favourites: Elena Radionova, Ashley Wagner
Contenders: Rika Hongo, Liza Tuktamysheva
Dark Horses: Kaetlyn Osmond, Zijun Li, Mai Mihara

Ashley in China? Try the Shiao Loon Bao, it may give you extra boost. Elena, can't wait to see her exhibition.
Come on Zijun, bring it home!!!

NHK Trophy-
Favourites: Satoko Miyahara, Anna Pogorilaya
Contenders: Polina Edmunds, Mirai Nagasu
Dark Horses: Alaine Chartrand, Wakaba Higuchi, Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Maria Sotskova

Gonna root for Anna, just because... Go Wakababy!

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
China is looking really weak now with the state that those Russian ladies are in, so Ashley can be 3rd at Skate America and still probably make the GPF easily. Mao and Gracie being 1st and 2nd at Skate America would then also mean that getting 3rd at TEB wouldn't really matter for them. So right now I would say the most likely GPF lineup is:

1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Satoko Miyahara
3. Anna Pogorilaya
4. Ashley Wagner
5. Mao Asada
6. Gracie Gold

I think the surest bets are

1. Medvedeva
2. Miyahara
3. Radionova

Then: Wagner, Gold, Pogo, Asada but any of them is likely not to make it to GPF due to inconsistency. Looking at the assignments and Daniel's analysis, Wagner and Pogo are likely to make it, which leaves either Mao or Gracie out.

My prediction then:

4. Wagner
5. Pogo
6. Mao

FlattFan

Match Penalty
People are too quick to forget Pogo has a long history of belly flop in the GPs. I think she's more on the bubble for the final slot than a sure thing.
The only 2 I'm willing to bet money to make the GPF are Med and Satoko.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
People are too quick to forget Pogo has a long history of belly flop in the GPs. I think she's more on the bubble for the final slot than a sure thing.
The only 2 I'm willing to bet money to make the GPF are Med and Satoko.

For the record, i said I was rooting for her, didn't say she is a sure thing, as you point out she will need alot of help to stay in synch with gravity with the intensity/speed she put in her programs. All those long limb and her relentless style of attacking programs does comes with a price, but it will be much sweeter, much more riveting than say (Zhenya + Satoko's 3rd 3t combined in the second half) x 1000 = milking the ridiculous gazillion scoring system. I just want a massive flying glorious 3lz3t to satisfy the sport, glamour, daring, gutsiness, caution to the wind in the performance in all aspects.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm thinking either Yulia or Liza will make the final over two of the "weaker" favorites of Mao, Gracie, Anna, and Elena. Liza has the potential to win gold in China, medal in Canada, and Yulia could feasibly win in Russia and medal in the US.

Poor Gracie and Mao! :hopelessness:

I'm hoping we get another 2 Japanese, 2 US, and 2 Russian ladies in the final. I like seeing the big 3 countries represented well, but it's also possible we will have as many as 4 Russian ladies in the final - with Satoko and Ashley in the non-Russian minority. Given the draws, there would have to be some disastrous skates for either of them to miss the final.

Tyranid

Final Flight
Why? She was a mess at the test skate. I see her dropping below Rika Hongo in China and there are several competitors in Russia who can beat her if the jumps are not currently working very well.
Radionova was sick at test skates and took a course of antibiotics before the SP. You do know what that can do to an athlete's performance,right?

Also, if you could, plese name the several. Yeah, Leonova could beat her (SP only, and given Leonova's LP history... yeah). So who are the several Russians who could realistically beat her?

Btw, could someone please explain why everyone here thinks that Asada and Wagner are going to do well???

Last season, when Mao announced her comeback, I got worried. My dad, who casually watches FS, but knows how Asada skates said that she will fail. I didn't believe him at the start of the season... yet she did. Let's be honest, there is no way she is going to do 3A programs for 11 years straight. People love her but we need to be realistic.
About Wagner - so many people put her as the #2 skater in the off-season Power Rank thread. Really? I think she reached her absolute maximum at the end of 2016 season. Her "ceiling" is low. I doubt she will have better programs that last season (Moulin Rouge is pertty much Ashley's iconic piece and will be impossible to beat; not unlike Mao's Rach 2) and it will be an exemplary acheivement if she'll stay on par with her tech, given her age and an average jumping potential.

Last edited:

Daniel1998

Final Flight

Yes, that's correct, but if Wagner doesn't place third at Skate America, someone will be in a huge hole coming into France. For what it's worth I think the only three people I see as safe for the GPF are Medvedeva, Miyahara, and Wagner.
I also would like to point out that a second and third place finish would not have made the GPF cut last year- you would have lost to Ashley in a tiebreaker.

Last edited:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I'm thinking either Yulia or Liza will make the final over two of the "weaker" favorites of Mao, Gracie, Anna, and Elena. Liza has the potential to win gold in China, medal in Canada, and Yulia could feasibly win in Russia and medal in the US.

Poor Gracie and Mao! :hopelessness:

I'm hoping we get another 2 Japanese, 2 US, and 2 Russian ladies in the final. I like seeing the big 3 countries represented well, but it's also possible we will have as many as 4 Russian ladies in the final - with Satoko and Ashley in the non-Russian minority. Given the draws, there would have to be some disastrous skates for either of them to miss the final.

Liza actually got beaten by Mai Mihara a week or so ago at Nebelhorn with a mostly clean free program, and I didn't even know who Mai was. I view her as too inconsistent and the judges have completely abandoned her. I think she's going to need a boatload of help to reach the GPF.
Yulia has been rounding into form, but I'm still a bit unsure about her difficulty/base value- I don't know if her programs this year are as difficult as the Medvedevas and the Maos of this world. I would love to see either of them in the final, though.

andromache

Record Breaker
About Wagner - so many people put her as the #2 skater in the off-season Power Rank thread. Really? I think she reached her absolute maximum at the end of 2016 season. Her "ceiling" is low. I doubt she will have better programs that last season (Moulin Rouge is pertty much Ashley's iconic piece and will be impossible to beat; not unlike Mao's Rach 2) and it will be an exemplary acheivement if she'll stay on par with her tech, given her age and an average jumping potential.

Unlike most skaters, Ashley is one of the few who has gotten better - significantly better - with age. Sure, a lot of skaters become better performers, but few get better at tech. Ashley has. I don't view her as the #2 girl, but definitely in the top 5. Her ceiling is about on par with Satoko and Elena. Plus, her GP spots are solid in comparison to some of the spots belonging to other girls. She has a FAR better chance at winning her second event compared to, say, Gracie and Mao. That's why I think so many are saying she'll make the final.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Radionova was sick at test skates. So who are the several skaters at Cup of Russia who could realistically beat her?

She may have been sick, but her body has changed and it looks like that will give her additional problems this season. Pogorilaya, Edmunds, Tursynbaeva, and even Lipnitskaya could all beat her at Cup of Russia.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why is Lenok always sick. I swear...last year or the year before she was sick at test skates. She was sick at WC too. It's so frequent with this one. Someone needs to give her some green vegetables or something :p

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Why is Lenok always sick. I swear...last year or the year before she was sick at test skates. She was sick at WC too. It's so frequent with this one. Someone needs to give her some green vegetables or something :p

the doping thread is in the café :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Interesting how Radinova is really a non player it would appear in the GP and I feel this Mao's chance to show the world what she is made of or...maybe it is time to think about the next chapter. If she doesn't regain good consistency her pcs will start slipping more. Satoko will cement her title as queen of women's skating in Japan. Is Kostner not doing the GP series or just one event?