Grand Prix by Sonia Bianchetti | Golden Skate

Grand Prix by Sonia Bianchetti

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I wholeheartedly disagree with her about limiting the GPF to two athletes from each country. Being the 4th best in a strong country already precludes a skater from participating in Euros and Worlds. The GPF is completely merit-based and you have to show excellence in two events to get there.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Limiting number of spots per country to 2... There are still enough limits at Worlds and Euros, which have max 3 participants per country. Russia will struggle soon to pick 3 girls out of many. And, well, wouldn't it be unfair if a skater qualifies to GPF getting e.g. 1 and 3 place, but misses GPF because other 2 skaters have more points.

MalAssada

Medalist
I wholeheartedly disagree with her about limiting the GPF to two athletes from each country. Being the 4th best in a strong country already precludes a skater from participating in Euros and Worlds. The GPF is completely merit-based and you have to show excellence in two events to get there.

This :thumbsup: The limitation in Euros, Words and Olympics are enough. The way it is now, there are few countries competing but competition itself is very interesting.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I liked her summary of the various events. But I don't agree with limiting the spots to two per country. Don't we have enough of that at Europeans/Worlds? I understand drumming up excitement for various countries... but ultimately it's not fair for the skaters. And they're the ones training from dawn to dusk, paying the expenses, working on the programs, ect.

Also, letting the "Federation" pick who among their qualified entries to send... I mean, what if Russia had decided to send Yulia/Anna (due to better past seasons) in place of Liza (who qualified ahead of them)? It's not just robbing her of a spot--it's potentially robbing her of a title.

Fun fact, even if we limited it to 2 skaters/country, we'd still get a Russian-American-Japanese final in ladies. We'd just get a 2/2/2 split instead. Doesn't seem to solve anything.

I doubt Canadians are anxious about "only" having two spots anyway. Considering we won gold with those two spots. :biggrin:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fun fact, even if we limited it to 2 skaters/country, we'd still get a Russian-American-Japanese final in ladies. We'd just get a 2/2/2 split instead. Doesn't seem to solve anything.

Not in dance, though. In the JGPF, instead of 4 Russian teams and 2 Canadian teams, it would be 2 Russian, 2 Canadian and 2 US teams. The two US teams had higher total scores in the JGP events than three of the teams that made the JGPF, including two of the Russian teams and one Canadian team.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Maybe not "a limit of two per discipline"
how about- a minimum of three nations per discipline?? <so you can have 4 russians and an American and a Canadian for example>
Or how about "A minimum total of 10 nations must be represented at the JGPF/GPF" <There were LESS than 10 nations competing at the JGPF/GPF!>

Seeing the Japan vs. Russia or Canada vs. Russia was interesting but I understand that a lack of nations participating could be a problem.

Seeing 50% of participants being Russian is fantastic to see and at the same time can be of great concern to the marketability of the sport to a general audience.

To us fans, this doesn't matter as to us the athletes are more important than the nation that they are representing but to the general audience, people would think "why bother if only Russia is the top dog?"

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
In my modest opinion, not more than two competitors of the same country should be allowed in the final, thus allowing more Members to participate. Any sport where only a couple of countries dominate loses the public’s interest.

I'm actually going to setup a wiki and a message board(stay tuned!) that focuses on reforming figure skating and her commentary is helpful, but her suggestion to limit the number of participants per nation in the grand prix final is myopic and will set skating backwards.

First of all, the heart of her concern is the crisis of European skating... sure she alludes to the US but it's Europe she's mostly concerned about. Maybe it's time that non-Russian European nations be allowed to created a confederation where they work together developing young talent and they're allowed to switch ice dancing/pairs partners easier.

Second, the better way to solve this concern(for people who have this concern) is to invite additional skaters not to keep skaters out.

The fundamental problem with figure skatings popularity is that elite skaters do not skate against each other enough. The fleeting nature of figure skating means nationalism is the easiest way for to average person to identify with it. In women's tennis, you have the 4 Grand Slam Tournaments and 4 Premiere Mandatory tournaments(plus other WTA tour events). In figure skating, you have the Grand Prix Final, World Championships, and Olympics... that's it and top elite skaters with an image to protect often skip(or pull out via "injury") the Grand Prix and the 4CC.

I have a lot of ideas but this is not the right place to articulate them. The fundamental gist is that skating needs to be year round and it needs to possible for someone to make a name for themselves outside of the Olympics.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Like everyone else has already mentioned, I disagree with the limits, I like how the Grand Prix Final consist of the top 6, it's so cutthroat and even if you medal in both your events, it's no guarantee that you 'll make it. I did enjoy reading her recap of the event though, I'm glad she enjoyed herself at the event.

Alba

Record Breaker
I liked her summary of the various events. But I don't agree with limiting the spots to two per country. Don't we have enough of that at Europeans/Worlds? I understand drumming up excitement for various countries... but ultimately it's not fair for the skaters. And they're the ones training from dawn to dusk, paying the expenses, working on the programs, ect.

Also, letting the "Federation" pick who among their qualified entries to send... I mean, what if Russia had decided to send Yulia/Anna (due to better past seasons) in place of Liza (who qualified ahead of them)? It's not just robbing her of a spot--it's potentially robbing her of a title.

I fully agree with this. :thumbsup: I find even the idea to be absurd.

alithia

Final Flight
Last time I checked both W/P and G/P are Canadian, yet she wrote that Canada had only one ice dance couple.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
A good part of what is interesting about the GPF is that it has the best regardless of country limits. No, limiting skaters is not going to do anything but lead to bitterness.

I would be ok with minimum number of countries, if it added skaters and no one got skipped over. But that could have its own issues.

Give it time, everything ebbs and flows. Who know show many skaters are coming up the pipeline and from where.

alebi

Medalist
we want more quality not more quantity... if 6 Russian ladies are the best in the field... why we should limit them and watch a poorer show with someone else? :disapp:

Alba

Record Breaker
we want more quality not more quantity... if 6 Russian ladies are the best in the field... why we should limit them and watch a poorer show with someone else? :disapp:

Make an educated guess. ;)

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Oh come on, go somewhre else with that limits! I'm already bothered by the limits to other competitions - I think some countries should have 4 spots - and this would be even more strict. By the way, she meant two spots for the whole Grand Prix circuit or just the final? If the latter, it would be terrible. Imagine you rightfully earn your spot but you cannot compete because you was only third in your country. No, I think some countries should have more spots for the main competitions.

TMC

Record Breaker
A good part of what is interesting about the GPF is that it has the best regardless of country limits. No, limiting skaters is not going to do anything but lead to bitterness.

I would be ok with minimum number of countries, if it added skaters and no one got skipped over. But that could have its own issues.

Give it time, everything ebbs and flows. Who know show many skaters are coming up the pipeline and from where.

This is how I feel as well. This is the only event where we can see the best of the best and if all 36 skaters happen to come from one country then that's what it is that year.

The junior ladies short program this year was a great example; these girls truly are the best of the best and we should be thankful to have this opportunity to enjoy (potentially) the greatest skating in the world in one event. Not ruin it by some random nationality restrictions.

alebi

Medalist
Another thing... if you limit Russia, who will benefit? Japan, China, Canada or USA. Not Czech Rep, Italy, Brasil, Germany, Mexico, Philippines, Australia, Spain, France and so on... Because figure skating has these powerhouses and the development in different countries depends on completely different strategies, not on putting some limits to developed countries. So I really don't understand why she said this...

just to say... who were the alternatives this year? Were they from new/different countries?

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Another thing... if you limit Russia, who will benefit? Japan, China, Canada or USA. Not Czech Rep, Italy, Brasil, Germany, Mexico, Philippines, Australia, Spain and so on... Because figure skating has these powerhouses and the development in different countries depends on completely different strategies, not on putting some limits to developed countries. So I really don't understand why she said this...

i agree with this. And I'm against limiting the skaters - if the best of the best even happen to be 6 Russian ladies even... or 6 Japanese men... or whatever... then so be it. Russian ladies are strong in their discipline at the moment, Japanese men have been very strong - and are quite strong still - and in some other discipline some other country might flourish more than others for a time - then so be it. These things come and go - American ladies used to be very strong, Russian men also... (shrug) I see no problem. Fairness dictates that the best of the best go, wherever they are from. And as alebi says, limiting will only favour the next strongest nations, anyway. So... I honestly hope this suggestion goes nowhere.