Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, this is the potential problem with the Team Event at the Olympics is that when people talk about having 'won' an Olympic medal, it can be misleading because the reader or viewer who hears that might not know whether it was for individual performance or not.

I also got tired of Patrick Chan repeatedly going on after the Men's event in Sochi about how he has won 2 Olympic silvers in his career. It makes him sound like he won 2 Olympic silver medals on his own like Elvis Stojko and Brian Orser, and it's not the same thing.

That's one reason why I hope the Team Event is abolished before the next Olympics so that it doesn't muddy the waters anymore.

You should be more tired how Carolina gets medals to her like free prizes at the bottom of a box of Crackerjacks!

noskates

Record Breaker
You should be more tired how Carolina gets medals to her like free prizes at the bottom of a box of Crackerjacks!

Yup!!!

Jeremy won this year because Jason and Joshua were a year away from being great!!!! Both are outstanding performers and if the technical comes together (Jason's quad and Joshua's consistency) I think the results would have been different. I sincerely hope someone talks him out of continuing to compete. At the very least - he might get the message if sent to any GP events. I just don't have faith in him anymore and I've been a relatively staunch supporter since 2012 Nats. I think his World performance was on pure grit and emotion and that's what enabled him to conquer his yips. I don't expect to see that again.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think his World performance was on pure grit and emotion and that's what enabled him to conquer his yips. I don't expect to see that again.

You may be right that the traumatic experience of crashing into the boards in the Sochi SP and nearly being knocked out gave him the emotional drive and adrenaline to motivate himself to fight back for the rest of the season in a way he hadn't before. The question is whether he can carry that new determination and grit over to the next season or whether it was just a temporary reaction to the aftershock of the crash in the Sochi SP.

NMURA

Medalist
Suguri's road was set by the jealousy toward Arakawa (in Torino). The case of Jeremy abbott is a bit different. They are both not knowing how to live without skating though. I think Takahashi is in a similar position with Suguri. He can't accept the reality that the whole Japanese people and media have forgotten about him (he was literally ignored after coming back from Sochi). It is well known that he is obsessed with the "Ace of Japan" title. But Hanyu seems to be totally indifferent to that "honor". Of course, the title of the Olympic champion is far more prestigious than the "Ace of Japan".

Interspectator

Record Breaker
There were several documentaries about Takahashi over the last months, and also coverage when he attended one of the Charity Ice shows as MC. He is certainly not forgotten! Only, there is nothing to report at this time because he has not made his decision about his future yet and can't yet skate because of his knee healing. I'm sure that if he steps foot on the ice again the media will be all over him.

Oda has retired but is still very prominent in the media as he is doing shows etc.

I think, once Takahashi has made his descision, he will get more media attention as well.

NMURA

Medalist
Maybe the word "ignored" is an exaggeration. But it's undeniable that Takahashi has been overtaken by Hanyu as far as media attentions are concerned.

the number of google news search results (in Japanese)

Mao Asada 7190
Yuzuru Hanyu 3050
Daisuke Takahashi 656
Tatsuki Machida 325

BlackPack

Medalist
Maybe the word "ignored" is an exaggeration. But it's undeniable that Takahashi has been overtaken by Hanyu as far as media attentions are concerned.

the number of google news search results (in Japanese)

Mao Asada 7190
Yuzuru Hanyu 3050
Daisuke Takahashi 656
Tatsuki Machida 325

I rarely hear anything negative being said about Dai and his skating. I've yet to see him involved in any self-made drama or scandals.

In any case, he has much less news because he's retiring/retired. He hasn't been at Worlds either. He didn't win any medals recently except in the GP. Why would anyone talk about him (except to praise his skating)? His Beatles program didn't do his talent justice.

Unless he is somehow implicated in the Katsalopov-Ilinykh-Sinitsina-Mo' soap, there isn't much to talk about. :slink:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I rarely hear anything negative being said about Dai and his skating. I've yet to see him involved in any self-made drama or scandals.

In any case, he has much less news because he's retiring/retired. He hasn't been at Worlds either. He didn't win any medals recently except in the GP. Why would anyone talk about him (except to praise his skating)? His Beatles program didn't do his talent justice.

Unless he is somehow implicated in the Katsalopov-Ilinykh-Sinitsina-Mo' soap, there isn't much to talk about. :slink:
I agree. Media is paying attention towards skaters that are still in competitive zone. It's understandable. We rarely see news of retired actors these days, don't we? But people still care about about Dai. There're thousands of fan mail online with positive words towards Dai. He has a beautiful career.

Alba

Record Breaker
I agree. Media is paying attention towards skaters that are still in competitive zone. It's understandable. We rarely see news of retired actors these days, don't we? But people still care about about Dai. There're thousands of fan mail online with positive words towards Dai. He has a beautiful career.

Hi is my fav. male skater. :)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Dai's artistry/audience connection is to be savored. Who could possibly say a bad thing about him?

lefeury

Rinkside
Just a thought about Jeremy, I think his biggest mental blocks came from his feeling that the crowds and fans were just waiting for him to screw up so they could criticize him. I have taught Music Performance and one of the issues Performers can face is feeling that the crowd does not support you. It often surprises them to learn that the crowd really wants to see the performer do well. I think that when he got up in the SP in sochi and the crowd got behind him he suddenly learned this truth. It has helped him perform better internationally, and I honestly think he wants to skate a season with this new understanding and hoping that he has conquered his demon. I hope he does and skates his best whether he medals or not. It is something his heart needs before he retires. Also, I have not always been a Jeremy fan because of his mental games. But this is about a deep lesson for him in my opinion.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Have just rewatched his LP at worlds, kinda frustrated because why didn't he skate like that in the SP and Sochi? :cry:
It's true that he was underscored here but if he was a bit more consistent... He would even score close to 180 with that performance. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CDzqxpi_Gs8
Personally I prefer this as the last memory of Jeremy in competition. He could always perform in Gala, there's no need to push himself more than that.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just a thought about Jeremy, I think his biggest mental blocks came from his feeling that the crowds and fans were just waiting for him to screw up so they could criticize him. I have taught Music Performance and one of the issues Performers can face is feeling that the crowd does not support you. It often surprises them to learn that the crowd really wants to see the performer do well. I think that when he got up in the SP in sochi and the crowd got behind him he suddenly learned this truth. It has helped him perform better internationally, and I honestly think he wants to skate a season with this new understanding and hoping that he has conquered his demon. I hope he does and skates his best whether he medals or not. It is something his heart needs before he retires. Also, I have not always been a Jeremy fan because of his mental games. But this is about a deep lesson for him in my opinion.

Speaking as a musician (singer) w/ a pile of performance issues, I hear you loud and clear! Not sure what you mean by "mental games," though. If you're talking about him possibly playing games w/ his audience, that doesn't ring true for me. OTOH, if you mean a screaming maniac inner critic in overdrive :)cry:), I'm totally with you and agree that it makes him come across as nervous, tentative -- and even almost needy at times. All of which = hard to watch. Whatever the games are, they're in his own head.

IMO, Jeremy's worst enemy is himself. When he's on his game (2014 US nationals & Worlds LP), he's right up there with some of the very best but all too often his demons are out there on the ice with him. It's so frustrating for those of us who have always hoped to see him skate to his potential. For Jeremy, though, it must be a helluva lot worse. I feel for him and wish him the very best, whatever he decides.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think the only way Jeremy would ever win a world medal is if he shows the judges consistency AND skates great in both the short and long programs at worlds. His technical ability is lower than the other men these days to begin with- lower base value, lower GOEs, so unless he is performing consistently to gain judges respect and higher PCS more reflective of his beautiful and soulful skating (and a GOE bump with increased rep too) and doesnt put a foot wrong in either program he isnt going to medal, even in a less than perfect event.

lefeury

Rinkside
Well, by mind games I was referring to the games his mind plays on him and the inability to overcome it. I also believe he is past his prime and can't really compete with the top men. But I just think he may need to compete for a year with new wisdom just to show himself and others that he can put together 2 clean performances internationally. If he succeeds then he really could be a wonderful coach able to help other skaters with performance issues.

CPWest

Rinkside
i really like Jeremy's skating, his LP this past season was among my top five (including men's, ladies' and pairs, i don't watch dances), but i hope he would bow out on a high note. if he decides to continue, good luck to him!