Ladies Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wagner was overscored but still deserved the win.

:laugh: + :rolleye: at those of you who are still criticizing Sotnikova. You'll never be satisfied, even when she skates well. Another silver medal and a trip to the GPF. More importantly, she's established that when she skates well, her PCS is way ahead of Pogorilaya.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I wonder if Ashley's new 3-3s combos was even a good idea. She doesn't seem to be scoring any better with them than she was without them last year. In fact her TES are low so far this year.

She got personal bests for PCS in both her SP and FS at TEB. And I thought she performed her FS quite well.

And Volosozhar/Trankov get 10s for Interpretation for Jesus Christ Superstar. ;)

She did perform it quite well for her standards but the turtle neck was still there, her movements could have been extended a little better and the timing was off most of the time. Choreography lacked style and character she could have been skating to any music really.

CarneAsada

Medalist
It was the right call. And that sequence was quite poorly executed anyway.

It would probably be called 2Lo (although the panel would be challenged since it's not explicitly mention in the rules :D).
All the Russian girls seem to land the harder jumps with their backs very low/hunched over. Is this an actual problem or does it just look bad?

I always thought landing any jump on the inside edge of the left foot (or right if you rotate the other way) would be called the same as the regular version of the jump - isn't it? I was wondering what it would be called in common parlance.

:laugh: + :rolleye: at those of you who are still criticizing Sotnikova. You'll never be satisfied, even when she skates well. Another silver medal and a trip to the GPF. More importantly, she's established that when she skates well, her PCS is way ahead of Pogorilaya.
I wouldn't care about Sotnikova either way but after seeing how much hate she gets on this forum, I kind of want her to beat Julia just to read her detractors' reactions. :laugh:

DannyCurry

On the Ice
I don't understand how they call a 1/2 loop as < either. They did the same thing to Elena R...it seems ridiculous.

As for Anna, I don't think the < on the loop is what hurt the GOE. The 3L wasn't landed as well as it could have been and the combo was really slow. I do think it's amazing how well she rotates with such little speed or height.

Yes, it was really slow. So slow that I didn't think she would tack on that 3 sal. Her position on the jumps is not good IMO (a bit like Butyrskaya). I prefered the SP, even with the mistake on the axel.

Cesario: I really liked both her performances from that event. She looks solid, even though she slows down a lot before her jumps.

Gao: Not surprised by her meltdown. She fell at least twice during the warm-up.

Helgesson: Poor performance, but I kinda liked the program. I think the music and choreo suit her (way better than her SP).

Lacoste: Not bad, but I just don't like how her jumps look. And nothing in her skating is great. That said, the program is smartly choreographed for a non-graceful lady.

Maé: Not her best performance, but at least she did not fall. HUGE opening combo, as always.

Sotnikova: Terrible Rondo Capriccioso version, but the performance was still enjoyable. She reminds me a bit of Slutskaya (though I have to say I like Adelina more than Irina). Great to see her land those flips! I love her 2 axel technique.

Wagner: I liked 3 things about that LP: the dress, the 2axel-falling leaf, and the spread eagle-3loop-2axel. Apart from that, I didn't like the program.
I think the caller was quite generous, not labelling her 3-3 UR-ed. And I would have downgraded her 3 sal, it looked too pre-rotated to me. Then, the mistake on the 3flip, did Arutunian's finger thing really distract her?! :S Her Charlotte spiral doesn't look good. Overall, she remained the best lady at that event, and deserved to win.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) Free Skate
2. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) Free Skate
3. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) Free Skate
4. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) Free Skate

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Samantha CESARIO (USA) Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Christina GAO (USA), Free Skate
7. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Ashley WAGNER (USA) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

Medal Ceremony

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Bitter in defeat would be sotnikova if a double jump cost her a medal or win like some say with plushenko in Vancouver.

The double jump wouldn't have got her the victory. She was almost 4.5 points behind Wagner overall. Wagner also skated quite well, rotating 7 triples. It's not a surprise that Sotnikova didn't win. Her << in the SP cost her, as well as the whaxel. But she really was bound to lose to Wagner anyways. She came second, beat Pogorilaya, and made it to the GPF, and with a personal best. All in all a good day.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The double jump wouldn't have got her the victory. She was almost 4.5 points behind Wagner overall. Wagner also skated quite well, rotating 7 triples. It's not a surprise that Sotnikova didn't win. Her << in the SP cost her, as well as the whaxel. But she really was bound to lose to Wagner anyways. She came second, beat Pogorilaya, and made it to the GPF, and with a personal best. All in all a good day.

Yeah the Flutz dg loop combo probably doomed her anyway and she didn't make that mistake in the lp but the point is that she plans on doing 3 jump combo and doesn't because it's flip based and because other girls are doing 3 jump combos or sequences Adelina unlike them is leaving points on the table. that leaving points on the table is asking for trouble!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aw, Sotnikova seems really happy in the medal ceremony!

I think she was happy to have beaten Pogo. Remember, there is a Sochi spot on the line. It wouldn't have been good for Adelina if Pogo beat her twice!
I much prefer Adelina's skating---far more mature. Pogo loses on the PCS side because she pays zero attention to the music while devoting all her attention to eking out those jumps.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wagner lucks out with the win - great job to her and congrats! 127 pts even with the mistakes she made bodes well for her. Goes to show her ceiling is potentially 130+. Probably not quite at Asada/Kim level, but would be competitive with Kostner, the Russians, etc. for bronze in Sochi - that is, SHOULD SHE HIT.

I considered her a placeholder in terms of "US ladies order" but I have to say, I appreciate her presence more because she is providing what the US women solely lacked for half a decade; a steady hand. Someone who can be more or less depended on to place well, even with a mistake or two, although she's still no Cohen. Seeing Gao completely self-destruct, Gold trying to figure herself out, and Zawadzki and Nagasu completely off the map, without Wagner the US lady situation would be dire. Another reason why the US' worst nightmare would be for her to get injured. Hopefully that doesn't happen (especially now that she has the GPF). If Wagner can get a strong showing at GPF and at least be competitive with Asada, it would put her in a very strong position leading into mid-season and help her confidence further.

As for Gao, disappointing showing here but she should not get discouraged. She's got two months to prepare for Nationals.

Cesario - I know it's tempting for folks to immediately throw her into the mix, but I say not so fast. Rep-wise she is still an upstart, and I can see a situation at US Nationals where a clean skate by her wouldn't be enough to put her over a Gold with mistakes (or even a Zawadzki with mistakes, as long as it's not a meltdown). So, unlike the contenders, she will need the planets to line up (i.e. get lucky) IN ADDITION to skating the SP and FS like at TEB.

Don't care for Sotnikova (or Pogorilaya for that matter) and never did, but she delivered here and that's something she should be proud of.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wagner lucks out with the win - great job to her and congrats! 127 pts even with the mistakes she made bodes well for her. Goes to show her ceiling is potentially 130+. Probably not quite at Asada/Kim level, but would be competitive with Kostner, the Russians, etc. for bronze in Sochi - that is, SHOULD SHE HIT.

I considered her a placeholder in terms of "US ladies order" but I have to say, I appreciate her presence more because she is providing what the US women solely lacked for half a decade; a steady hand. Someone who can be more or less depended on to place well, even with a mistake or two, although she's still no Cohen. Seeing Gao completely self-destruct, Gold trying to figure herself out, and Zawadzki and Nagasu completely off the map, without Wagner the US lady situation would be dire. Another reason why the US' worst nightmare would be for her to get injured. Hopefully that doesn't happen (especially now that she has the GPF). If Wagner can get a strong showing at GPF and at least be competitive with Asada, it would put her in a very strong position leading into mid-season and help her confidence further.

My suggestion to her now until Nationals is to not eat any weird dressings or to fall hard at the GPF. :laugh:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
If you guys think Anna's expression was overambitious at K&C, Julia had similar expression when she lost to Mao at COC last year. Yes, Julia thought she was better than Mao.

gmyers

Record Breaker
If you guys think Anna's expression was overambitious at K&C, Julia had similar expression when she lost to Mao at COC last year. Yes, Julia thought she was better than Mao.

I'm glad! Look how she's done so far! If you don't believe you're the best can you do everything to win? Goes for everyone!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I watched the tv broadcast on CBC this afternoon so I haven't been back to the board in a few hours. Can someone tell me, in short, what happened to Gao? I don't feel like going all the way back through 20 pages.. they didn't show her on CBC and I was shocked to see her in last place.