Las Vegas Invitational | Golden Skate

Las Vegas Invitational

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
New competition domestically in US, for eligible skaters. Will be comprised of two teams (Team Johnny, Team Tara), mens and ladies scores will be judged with IJS components marking 1.6 so both disciplines carry the same weight to the team scores.

More here

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone know if they will be returning to Vegas to tape? Or was this all done during Skate America? (with Alysa coming in for this)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Does anyone know if they will be returning to Vegas to tape? Or was this all done during Skate America? (with Alysa coming in for this)
It was done during Skate America.

I have mixed feelings about such a huge earning opportunity being taped on the back of a "grand prix" and not including all of the best skaters in the US.

:clap::clap::clap:

I gues Audrey Shin and Ilia malinen were the two skaters who got the reserved spots for standouts at Skate America.

Even with equal factoring of the PCSs, the men will still have the chance to contribute more points than the ladies because of higher tech.

Anyway, good for Homelight for putting up the cash. :rock:

Tahuu

On the Ice
Which team would win?

FS scores from SA (w/o converting the men's PCS from 2.0 to 1.5) and ISP2 (Liu).

Team Tara
Starr Andrews
114.50​
Nathan Chen
187.98​
Alex Krasnozhon
136.55​
Ilia Malinin
143.56​
Audrey Shin
136.38​
Bradie Tennell
137.78​
Team Johnny
Mariah Bell
136.25​
Karen Chen
136.77​
Tomoki Hiwatashi
158.13​
Alysa Liu
119.58​
Camden Pulkinen
138.73​
Vincent Zhou
175.74​

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Will this be under the same 'bubble' as Skate America?

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
A bit off-topic, but I wonder when's the next virtual competition. Skaters like Jason Brown are not included in any of this, don't get these chances to compete, and in this season I would like to see more efforts in creating opportunities for skaters that are, quite frankly, stuck at the moment. If we can have some pseudo-GP, I'm sure ISU/National Federations could organise virtual events too-besides the live ones going on. It's not like virtual competitions haven't happened before.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If we can have some pseudo-GP, I'm sure ISU/National Federations could organise virtual events too-besides the live ones going on. It's not like virtual competitions haven't happened before.

I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of virtual events. It was nice to see the skaters' programs in those events before the GP season started, but I don't think they're all that helpful for the skaters to build "competitive toughness" when they're just skating at their home rink without having to practice, warm-up, and compete against their top competitors in person.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
A bit off-topic, but I wonder when's the next virtual competition. Skaters like Jason Brown are not included in any of this, don't get these chances to compete, and in this season I would like to see more efforts in creating opportunities for skaters that are, quite frankly, stuck at the moment. If we can have some pseudo-GP, I'm sure ISU/National Federations could organise virtual events too-besides the live ones going on. It's not like virtual competitions haven't happened before.
I agree! I miss Jason’s skating and it sucks he’s basically the only top level American we haven’t seen (and aren’t sure when we are going to see).

ice coverage

Record Breaker

To be fair to U.S. Figure Skating, it hardly has been sitting around twiddling its thumbs:

- In Nov and Dec, USFS will hold the eight live competitions of the Championship Series -- for juvenile through senior.
Eight different locations, with the need for safety measures. Tons of logistics to be planned and implemented.
For juniors (and top novices), the series will be their only chance to qualify for Nationals.
For seniors (including some big names), the series will be their last chance to qualify for Nats.
For juvenile thru novice, the series will be their chance to qualify for the National Development Team Camp.
(Skaters could sign up for a maximum of two events in the series.)​
- Before the complex undertaking of Skate America and its bubble, USFS already held the virtual "ISP Points Challenge" -- for junior and senior. For skaters in the USFS International Selection Pool, it offered two opportunities to compete.
- USFS also held the virtual "Challenge Skate" -- for novice and junior. (A different competition from ISP Points Challenge.)
- The first USFS virtual competition was Peggy Fleming Trophy.
- Plus even when some local clubs started having live competitions, my understanding is that USFS had more of a hands-on role than usual, because of the need for safety measures.​

If the ISU chooses not to hold virtual competitions, I would understand its decision.
I very much appreciated ISP Points Challenge for what it was, but judges did not always have a good view of the skating.

As for Jason (although the world of course does not revolve around any one skater):
- It was his (understandable) choice not to leave Canada and switch to Skate America after Skate Canada International was cancelled.
- It was his (not unreasonable) choice to compete in only one of the two opportunities of the virtual ISP Points Challenge. He placed second overall (and won $10,000). :) (Nathan and eight other senior men competed in both opportunities.)
- Jason won the virtual Peggy Fleming Trophy competition (and $3,000). :)

Given that Jason is based in Canada, it is hard for me to see what else USFS could do for him.
Ditto for Chock/Bates.

Last edited:

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I miss Jason’s skating too, along with Chock/Bates (who I would also call top level Americans we have yet to see this season)
Yes! I missed Chock/Bates as well! I was mostly referring to single skaters since there’s no pairs/dance at this competition. Hopefully we can seem them and Jason soon!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm assuming they recorded this this past Monday? I'm looking forward to seeing which is the winning team.

It will be interesting to see what kind of coaching T&J can give the skaters.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
what ice coverage said. I am writing Brent to tell the gang at USFS intergalactic headquarters how well they are doing. I will be watching the Spokane event on Peacock but I have another DVR to record this should NBC Spokane not throw it under the bus for a game of the ball. Is there really gonna be a SA virtual gala coming up? All I see is football, nascar and Skate Canada on Sunday the 1st

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Y
what ice coverage said. I am writing Brent to tell the gang at USFS intergalactic headquarters how well they are doing. I will be watching the Spokane event on Peacock but I have another DVR to record this should NBC Spokane not throw it under the bus for a game of the ball. Is there really gonna be a SA virtual gala coming up? All I see is football, nascar and Skate Canada on Sunday the 1st
Yes the Gala from SA will be on. Skate Canada isn't happening.