Las Vegas Invitational | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Las Vegas Invitational

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yesterday there was a fluff video on FB that pretended that Nathan and Mirai were both in Vegas. I'm not sure if it was "live" or pre-recorded. I also received an email today from USFS with this info. My guess is that Nathan's team (Team Tara) will take it.

Don’t miss a moment of the Las Vegas Invitational presented by HomeLight, which will air on NBC this Sunday, Nov. 15, from 4-6 p.m. ET.

This event will feature two teams, Team Tara and Team Johnny, representing NBC’s dynamic commentator duo of Tara Lipinksi and Johnny Weir, that will compete for prize money of $50,000.

U.S. Figure Skating’s Ice Desk kicks off coverage of this weekend’s broadcast of the Las Vegas Invitational presented by HomeLight. Tune in on the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone, or U.S. Figure Skating’s Facebook page today to get a preview of the competition, including an interview with reigning U.S. champion Nathan Chen.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I'm just glad to watch skating in any form right now. So I'll take it! Figure skating has always had sometimes shlocky, gimmicky events like this, so it's all in good fun and it gives money to the skaters which I'm all for.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yesterday there was a fluff video on FB that pretended that Nathan and Mirai were both in Vegas. I'm not sure if it was "live" or pre-recorded. I also received an email today from USFS with this info. My guess is that Nathan's team (Team Tara) will take it.
I'm confused. Does everyone NOT know this "event" took place during/after SA and is just pretending to be "in the future".???? I dont know if Mirai was home (and those were her dogs squealing in the backround) or was really in Vegas for SA when this was recorded but it was probably done at the time....but does it matter? I have watched many "Ice Desks" standing behind the cameras at many events and I am not dissing anyone at them.....but apgold is right...they are mostly just fluff....and that's just fine if someone wants to watch them..... or to drool over seeing Sinead Kerr.....not that I would do that, of course.....:slink:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm just glad to watch skating in any form right now. So I'll take it! Figure skating has always had sometimes shlocky, gimmicky events like this, so it's all in good fun and it gives money to the skaters which I'm all for.
Well said. And Sometimes you give a kid a few bucks, and it makes all the difference and they turn out just fine.
aa bucks.JPG

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I watched the women with my Mom today until I could tell she was getting restless (she has Parkinson's related dementia, so her attention span is not always the greatest). It was all so mid-1990s I had a small wave of nostalgia. The "pep talks" between the women and the men were as inane as anything you would have seen then, though at least we got to see actual competitive programs and not artsy-fartsy ones with, shall we say, heavily diluted tech content.

It was all so mid-1990s I had a small wave of nostalgia.
Thank you for that observation. That is just what I felt, but I couldn't put my figure on it.

I think that one of the things that makes "then," then and "now," now, is the distinction between women's skating and mens'. Back then it was, "Your Daddy's energetic and your Mama's good-looking." At this event the ladies were all good-looking, but IMHO only Brady Tennell's program had a 21st century vibe to it.

All the men except Pulkinen did a quad, and there were two quad loops. Krasnozhon needs more Second Mark to his skating, but still. (Nathan said afterward that when Alex hit his quad loop he decided he'd better throw one in, too -- can't let these upstarts get too cocky.)

On the other hand, except for Nathan, the only men's program that held my attention as entertainment was Hiwatashi's but the effect was diluted by too many errors.

Alysa Liu wishes she could have a do-over. I wonder if the others were at a higher training peak because they had prepared for Skate America. Alysa is quite a bit taller and bigger than she was when she was 13 (duh!) We will have to wait and see what the future will bring.

Anyway, regarding the event as one of those fine old cheesefests from the 1990s, a good time was had by all, including me. :)

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nathan is so overwhemingly good that I feel his team's win was inevitable. It would be interesting to calculate if there was any team composition that would make his team lose. That is, if you put him together with the three lowest-scoring women and the two lowest-scoring men, would his advantage be enough to make his "team" still win over the other "team".

I erased my recording, so can't look up the scores there. Does anyone know where to find the skaters' scores.

-----

ETA: found them. Putting in order and calculating......

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
On twitter at Rocker Skating. You may have to scroll down a bit. You can also see Nathan's 4 loop on there....

Edit: see above for more details.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched the women with my Mom today until I could tell she was getting restless (she has Parkinson's related dementia, so her attention span is not always the greatest). It was all so mid-1990s I had a small wave of nostalgia. The "pep talks" between the women and the men were as inane as anything you would have seen then, though at least we got to see actual competitive programs and not artsy-fartsy ones with, shall we say, heavily diluted tech content.

It wasn't so much nostalgic for me... it was boring.

It looked like the skaters were there to grab a quick unexpected paycheck, which I assume they did. And, hey, good for them. Not too many opportunities these days.

But I certainly didn't get the vibe that any of them cared about which team won or even how well they skated or scored. This brand of skating is why I'm not a fan of galas or shows.

Even the coaching banter seemed paint-by-numbers.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So, I did my calculations. I had to do a spreadsheet, rather than just a calculator, to run various scenarios.

In reality : team Nathan had a blow-out of 54 points
My original plan (pair Nathan with the other 5 lowest scores): was an overcorrection, team Nathan lost by 43 points
Start with original teams, but swap Audrey and Alyssa: team Nathan still wins, but by only 10 points
Start with original teams, but swap Audrey for Alyssa and Alex for Tomoki: the closest result, with team Nathan losing by 4 points

We all could have predicted that that Audrey would do much better than Alyssa, but the Alex vs Tomoki matchup could have gone either way on any particular day.

So my conclusions: Nathan isn't quite as dominant as I thought; Alyssa's underperformance was a major factor in the "blowout" ; the blowout could have been worse if Ilia hadn't underperformed as well.

I really don't like blowouts, but this one was almost inevitable when Alyssa was made the team captain and first seed on one team.

I actually enjoyed seeing the skating. Yes, the "pep talks" were cringey, but I'll take anything I can get these days.