Medvedeva: "I'm not chasing numbers" | Golden Skate

Medvedeva: "I'm not chasing numbers"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Medvedeva delivered a mesmerizing routine which featured a triple flip-triple toe, triple loop, and double Axel, all of which were solid. She also showed good level 4 spins and footwork. The major difference between the top two skaters in terms of the technical score, was the difficulty of their combination jumps.

I was nervous, but not as much as in the team event,” said the two-time World champion of her performance. “I already knew what the Olympics are like. I felt more confident than in the team event. Today, for the first time, I went out with the thought not to give way to my emotions. In the team event, I was nervous and my legs were shaky. I was full of emotions, but they were happy emotions—to be at the Olympic Games, I felt like celebrating. Wow, I’m at the Olympics!”

The 18-year-old from Moscow said she wasn’t “chasing after numbers” when asked about her own record-breaking score, citing that she could have scored higher if the jump combination would have been better.

“The analysis starts already during the performance,” Medvedeva noted. “When I did the combination, I thought it could have been better.”

More...

Last edited:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Regardless of scores and placement, I’m so incredibly proud of Evgenia for how’s she’s handling such a difficult season for her. She has skated with maturity and passion today, and she was breathtaking! And let’s not forget that she scored yet another WR, however short lived, that’s like her 13th!

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Yes you are honey, nice spin attempt though.

BoP I know you are a professional - may I ask about your opinion on her combo jump? Specifically I am interested in the "3T" she delivered. I am asking because tbh for me it should be downgraded to a 2T, she did 2 revs in the air, I watched in slo-mo and counted, I am not a pro though so I may be mistaken.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I definitely don't think it was <<, but I'd have to look closer to see if < would have been deserved. Certainly wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, she has always been borderline on the combos anyway.

macy

Record Breaker
it will be interesting to see if alina feels the pressure going into the long as number 1, and if she can hold up to it. the Olympics are no euros or GPF. if both go clean it will for sure be VERY close again.

MiRé

Match Penalty
it will be interesting to see if alina feels the pressure going into the long as number 1, and if she can hold up to it. the Olympics are no euros or GPF. if both go clean it will for sure be VERY close again.

I doubt it'll be close. Alina will edge out Med ANY day. Med doesn't have a true lutz, and she's only putting 1 in the FS when Alina is putting 2 true lutz. It's highly possible for the technical judges to ignore e as they were ignoring some of the blatant UR in the SP (sorry Dabin but your 3T was UR). But if some magic happens and technical judges are doing their jobs correctly, Med will definitely get e for her Lutz, putting her FS score below 150. Plus, Alina's PCS is catching up to Med for no reason so Med lost her PCS cushion.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Yes you are honey, nice spin attempt though.

She never did, even when she broke her first record in the FS at 2016 Worlds both her and Eteri said that they don't care about numbers, they knew that with a clean skate Evgenia would have won a medal and that's the same here.

She is saying all season that there is no rivalry between her and Alina, they are all friends, and yet media and some figure skating fan desperately want to create that.

No drama here.:agree: