Men's Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

bekalc

Record Breaker
I know where that story come from but the one who wrote it, really made sure people knew that Plush was joking. He does like him and I think Johnny likes him as well, in his COI journal Johnny said he called Dennis and Evgeni "husband" during the tour, I don't think Johnny would have mentioned if Evgeni was not ok with it.

Oh, i think Evgeni likes Weir as well, I think he was just pointing out why he doesn't find Johnny and others who don't try the quad threatening....I think it's two bad that the next year Johnny didn't listen to Plushenko or Mishin... Honestly, though I personally think that Johnny suffers from self confidence issues. I don't think he really believes in himself or his talent. (And that does make me feel kind of sorry for him.)

seafoam

Rinkside
I respect Evan for going for it, but his quad is not well done and because the Tech caller do not downgrade his quad, he will never fix (his axel is going to same route) and he has to fix it, if he is going to try it, he has to do it until he gets it right and I think he believes that his quad is fine.

I agree. I think part of the reason that Johnny doesn't consistently do the quad in competition (because most of us have seen the gorgeous ones he does in practice or warm ups) is not necessarily that he doesn't have the guts, but that he's a perfectionist. If there's a chance it won't be beautiful, he won't put it in. But, as they say, the perfect is sometimes the enemy of the good. He will never feel reasonably sure of it as long as he puts off attempting it every time out.

Evan's quads (and 3A) may not be textbook pretty, but he gains respect (and points) by going for it. But, in the long run, if his technique is not great, it seems to me it could lead to more injury problems for him.

bubbleyum

On the Ice
am sad for lambiel. even with his great spins and footwork, that fall is just gonna hurt him so much(was that supposed to be a quad?), plus the fact that his axel is just a double(why?). i am worried for him. last season and this year his jumps just look so labored, even when he lands them.

there's still no denying that lambiel is the most sophisticated elegant skater out there. even though johnny is very beautiful with his hands and balletic posture, and evan has an attractive lanky quality to his skating, you can just tell that with lambiel it's just an innate specialness... i hope his jumps recover in time for worlds.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
am sad for lambiel. even with his great spins and footwork, that fall is just gonna hurt him so much(was that supposed to be a quad?), plus the fact that his axel is just a double(why?). i am worried for him. last season and this year his jumps just look so labored, even when he lands them.

there's still no denying that lambiel is the most sophisticated elegant skater out there. even though johnny is very beautiful with his hands and balletic posture, and evan has an attractive lanky quality to his skating, you can just tell that with lambiel it's just an innate specialness... i hope his jumps recover in time for worlds.

Sometimes I worry if he is even working as hard as he used to. He looks out of shape and undertrained more often since the beginning of last season.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I choose to believe that Lambiel is pacing himself to peak for Worlds. It must be really tough for him to consistently find the motivation to compete when he is the most accomplished man in the world of figure skating at the moment. I can see in his skating that he really does love to perform in front of an audience and share his emotions, but perhaps his motivation for competitive skating is just a building block towards the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. He may not necessarily have the motivation to come to an event like Cup of China or Cup of Russia ready to be at his very best because he really doesn't have anything to prove to the judging panel. They already know the greatness that he is capable of, but still you can tell that he is upset with himself when he doesn't skate well. As the saying goes, it's easier to be the hunter than it is to be the hunted.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
He isnt the hunted anymore though. He is also a hunter. He was only 3rd at Worlds last year, and barely competed the rest of the season. Sure at this event he was still the pre-event favorite, but I doubt he is as feared even by skaters like Lysacek and Weir as he used to be. He is working his way back from a down year for him, or atleast that should be his mindset. He has earned the right to not have the pressures of the hunted anymore.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Lambiel is definitely going to need to step iup if he wants to challenge the likes of Brian Joubert

He and Buttle are almost in the same boat, although I still think Lambiel has the edge on Buttle just as he did when both were higher up. Neither have ever truly mastered the jumping side of the sport, Buttle virtually quadless, Lambiel virtually triple axel-less, both inconsistent on other jumps, but have gotten away with it awhile due to their great spins, footwork, and PC marks. Now others are upping their jumping, even with Plushenko gone. Joubert, Verner, Takahashi, Lysacek, maybe even Oda and Weir, are all pushing to have solid quads and solid triple axels. Lambiel and Buttle are both now paying the price for never having mastered the jumping side of the sport, and at the moment are either not being able to despite lots of effort (Buttle) or arguably struggling to be willing to give the work and commitment to (Lambiel) in order to do so.

hongligl

Final Flight
This is the first time I ever like Evan's program! He was very sharp, and having a ice dancer girlfriend seems help his footwork a lot:)

feraina

Record Breaker
Maybe I'm an exception, but I actually quite like Johnny's SP: music, choreography... I also really liked the footwork sequences, I bet they'd be even better if the music was actually sync'ed correctly. And of course, to see him skate a clean program is such a pleasure. :love:

I feel like this program has real potential. By the end of the season, it could be a real masterpiece. :agree:

April

Rinkside
Good Beginnings

Lambiel--He's a real entertainer. Too bad about that fall, otherwise, it was a interesting SP.

Evan--Evan attacks his choreography. He's so confident and it shows in his skating. However, all thoses flailing arm movements are irksome. I think more is less but it worked for him, bravo.

Weir--I didn't like his program initially. I had to watch the program again to really appreciate the subtlety. It's a very lyrical program. The music is quiet and soft. His arm movements are precise, minialistic, and gorgeous. However, the program lacks transitions, eye-catching footwork into jumps, and speed. The program obviously needs some tweaking. I am also pleased this year's program is not pretentious. Moreover, I think his program is very risky because his music choice does nothing for his skating; if its not skated well, that's all folks.