Most overused music of all time... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most overused music of all time...

Krunchii

Record Breaker
And Ghibli and Final Fantasy are Japanese, they aren't interchangeable. Considering the long history between the two countries it would be better to not use Japanese music.

If I have to hear Romeo and Juliet again, I may kill myself. Between Ladies and Pairs last season I felt like it was everywhere.

Same, doesn't matter what R&J soundtrack they use, the concept is too overdone for me to enjoy it anymore

BusyMom

Medalist
And Ghibli and Final Fantasy are Japanese, they aren't interchangeable. Considering the long history between the two countries it would be better to not use Japanese music.
Big oops there. Sorry. For me all Asian music is great and give us a much need variation.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Big oops there. Sorry. For me all Asian music is great and give us a much need variation.
I can't speak for Korean people but personally I son't think they dislike Joe Hishashi that much because he's Japanese. He even composed some soundtrack for Korean movies/animation if I remember correctly.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Piazzolla's Libertango. Totally unsuitable for dancing. No tango dancer in their right mind would try to dance to it.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I intended for it to go anyway you guys want it to go. It just so happened that two of my biggest ones happened to fall into the new ID theme. I agree about some of the others too. I love Swan Lake, Phantom of the Opera, and Les Miserables but they are overused. I do look forward to lyrics being allowed in all disciplines and my hope is that it will create new music for the skaters to skate to.

There's also a lot of music in many of the overused works that hasn't been overused. Carmen, for instance, is an opera of several hours' length. There's plenty in there that can be made fresh and unusual with the right choreographer. As for Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto, I'd solve that by using his third or fourth concerto, or his second symphony. (I love Rachmaninoff, but I agree that the second concerto has been done to death.)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Speaking of Rach, has anyone ever skated to his Vocalise? That piece has many variation, from vocal to piano, violin, cello to the whole orchestra, and the melody is very catchy. That would be an interesting choice.

BusyMom

Medalist
I can't speak for Korean people but personally I son't think they dislike Joe Hishashi that much because he's Japanese. He even composed some soundtrack for Korean movies/animation if I remember correctly.
It's hard to put ourselves in their shoes. Some of my friends who are Japanese and Korean thinks the fraud is stupid. At the same time, some takes it very seriously like their life missions. Just let them be. I think both nations has been through enough rough time and successfully overcome their pasts.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I like much of the music from Carmen, I would say it is the most overused music in figure skating.

Krunchii

Record Breaker

When it comes to the Olympics where a lot of fans are fueled by patriotism, I don't think music by Japanese composers would be ideal, there are plenty of other composers Koreans would choose over Joe Hisashi even if they like his work. Like I said, considering their past history, it's not a smart idea, who knows if tensions will get worse or better by the time it's 2017/2018. I'm Chinese and even when relations were better between China and Japan the situation wasn't great so from personal experience it's a bad idea and something I think skaters would try to avoid, after all Dokdo and the issue of comfort women still exist along with other issues.

BusyMom

Medalist
When it comes to the Olympics where a lot of fans are fueled by patriotism, I don't think music by Japanese composers would be ideal, there are plenty of other composers Koreans would choose over Joe Hisashi even if they like his work. Like I said, considering their past history, it's not a smart idea, who knows if tensions will get worse or better by the time it's 2017/2018. I'm Chinese and even when relations were better between China and Japan the situation wasn't great so from personal experience it's a bad idea and something I think skaters would try to avoid, after all Dokdo and the issue of comfort women still exist along with other issues.
What about Chinese music then? There are also some issues between the two countries as well.

I don't speak Chinese but I always fall in love with Chinese songs. Have no idea what the songs mean but appreciate them all the same.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
What about Chinese music then? There are also some issues between the two countries as well.

I don't speak Chinese but I always fall in love with Chinese songs. Have no idea what the songs mean but appreciate them all the same.

It's hard to say, I'm not anthropologist or historian, just speaking from personal experience and research in my spare time, Koreans and Chinese issues aren't as bad as Japan but its also depends. Their view of each other is better because they share the same stance on Japanese war crimes and the teens and young adults in China consume a lot of Korean pop culture. I don't think it'll being a huge impediment if someone uses Chinese music but in the end I can't say, like if a skater from say a North American country uses Chinese music in Korea that might raise a few eyebrows (eg. do they think our cultures are exchangeable?) but if a Chinese skater did (say Zijun Li) it'll probably be a non-issue since she's Chinese anyway. That's how I felt about Chen Lu skating to Butterfly Lovers in Nagano. She's skated to music by Joe Hisashi before but I don't know how it was back then since I was born the year of those Olympics, but they weren't in China anyway.

BusyMom

Medalist
Thank you for your input Krunchii. Wow you have a very intrigued mind for such a young age. Lu Chen's Butterfly Lovers was such a masterpiece. It would be a tragedy if it had been a victim of the frauds.

Alba

Record Breaker
Piazzolla's Libertango. Totally unsuitable for dancing. No tango dancer in their right mind would try to dance to it.

Piazzolla's Libertango is one of the most beautiful OD I've seen in Ice Dance, from G&P.

Thank you. They are surely a timeless pair. What a pity I dislike Rach. :biggrin: but I can appreciate beautiful skating nevertheless.
On a site note, I hope the will be a skater use this piece by Rach. :popcorn: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=acVODwPb1G8
That would be interesting. :)

For someone who dislike Rach. you are quite a connoisseur.:)

@All: I was thinking that is strange that no one used GoT soundrack?

I also have hopes that someone will use Rachmaninoff's Prelude Opus 23 Number 5. It's got such compelling rhythms.

Meoima

Match Penalty
For someone who dislike Rach. you are quite a connoisseur.:)
@All: I was thinking that is strange that no one used GoT soundrack?
You mean Game of throne? I guess it's still too early and choreographers are not that open and up-to-date. May be next season, the one after that. Sooner or latter, I am sure there will be programs using Game of throne soundtrack. We might even see skaters use Greenday's songs.

About Rach, I am no connoisseur, just happen to love many Russian musicians and they perform Rach/Tchaikovsky a lot. Most of greatest pianists/violinists are from Russian (not the vocal discipline, though).
I dislike Rach mostly because of his 2nd piano concerto and Vocalise which are cheesy to my ears. :laugh: but I guess I dislike Swan Lake as well.
Personally I prefer Schubert over most. :love: I would love to see a top skater use Schubert and Brahms' chamber music.

Mahler would be an interesting choice. His funeral march movement in the 1st symphony is pretty much a challenge. But I guess it would be too difficult for skater for catch up with these pieces.